Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

philpoole said:

Oh yes! It makes a huge benefit! And I'm only using 7805s for now!

How many do 5v regs you have again? I have 7 so far(if you include the original one on board).

For me, I can essentially see just the regs to do, then the coax mod and the output stage. I've upgraded the reservoir caps for the HF and RF stages, but I think I'll leave modding all the HF/RF signal path resistors and caps till later to see how much of a difference it makes. Beyond that(and the blue LEDs ;)) I wonder if there's a lot more to do electronically - other than improving the regulators.

Brent, are you stuck for more things to do to yours?

Cheers,
Phil

I have 10 custom regs with custom psu. 7 for 5v and 3 for 12v. And the original 7805 is there so the cpu gets its power. The 7812 and 7912 are removed.

I used one reg for decoder and dac digital and one reg for decoder and dac analogue. I did this has I saw the two rails part of the same circuit if you know what I mean.

Output stage can bring big benefits. Have you bypassed HDAM and changed to better op amps?

Also do you have custom TX and psu? this brings further seperation to regs.

Also get all your 5v regs gnd to one spot, I got better bass ans output mv is reduced to 2mV.

I am holding back on mods to see what develops on the forums. I am keenly watching the development of Tube stage and also class A op amp output.

Brent

Here you go. lol

Attachments

• rm signature.gif
    rm signature.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 444
have 10 custom regs with custom psu. 7 for 5v and 3 for 12v. And the original 7805 is there so the cpu gets its power. The 7812 and 7912 are removed.

I used one reg for decoder and dac digital and one reg for decoder and dac analogue. I did this has I saw the two rails part of the same circuit if you know what I mean.

Output stage can bring big benefits. Have you bypassed HDAM and changed to better op amps?

Also do you have custom TX and psu? this brings further seperation to regs.

Also get all your 5v regs gnd to one spot, I got better bass ans output mv is reduced to 2mV.

My DAC and decoder have aseperate regulators for each power rail, seems to help :D

I am still using the main transformer, and this a CD63SE, so I guess there is a LOT of scope for improvement there in reducing intereference at least with a toroid.

I do have OPA2107s with no HDAM, but like I said earlier, I am hoping to build a bipolar equivalent of Ray's tube stage. It translates quite nicely to a discrete equivalent, but I need to order the bits for the passive filtering.

Once I've decided to stick with the opamps or discrete output, I will then concentrate on suitable PSU and regulation for it.

rowemeister said:

So then...what audio benefits have you gained from these caps, at a guess a smoother clearer sound with good bass.

Brent

Well the sound was definately more refined, but i wouldn't sayt eh bass increase was huge. But that's probably down to the fact i havent screwed the cross-brace back on, or put the lid back on.

Once i put the clock and PSU in though, the bass response tightened up, and the music just sounded like, well music... rather than music being played through a hi-fi !

btw. my schottky diodes have arrived, and was wondering which way round they should be mounted? At one end they have a silver band around them, whereas teh old diodes in the player have a band at one end then a dot after. I guess i have to match the band ends ?

ad

adfinni said:
Well i have replaced most of the caps in my CD63 with rubycon ZL's, and im happy. Is there anywhere that i should not use them, as i have mine in the PSU, op-amps, DAC, decoder, and servo areas :D ?
btw. my schottky diodes have arrived, and was wondering which way round they should be mounted? At one end they have a silver band around them, whereas teh old diodes in the player have a band at one end then a dot after. I guess i have to match the band ends ?

ad

Hi ad,

I used Rubycon ZL/ZLH throughout my player, and i'm quite happy with them. The only exception are C611...614 around the opamps, for which I used BG's :D

As for the diodes: match the bands.

Regards,

Ray.

Attachments

• diode.jpg
    diode.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 419
Who thinks that if I remove my coax link for the Decoder clock from the DAC to the Decoder and run the Decoder on its own dedicated clock will bring more benefits.

I would use the Audiocom superclock2 clock same as DAC and baring in mind I can get one from ebay for roughly £60.

I would probably run it from the same PSU as the current clock but on its own 12v super reg.

Or leaving that inplace and running the servo off a dedicated clock.

Or all three :smash:

Has this been done?