Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 652 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2007, 10:03 AM   #6511
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question marantz 67 mods

Hi Simon, the right chanel showed 12V- ?analogue circuit problem -How do i trace the problem? Just another question ,how soon can i start working on cd player after switch off?you know those nasty shock?no chance taken. Quan.
Old 1st May 2007, 10:03 AM   #6512
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by aquar
Hi Ray,
3 days ago I fitted +12V/-12V Raygulator on small pcb with independent new PSU (1Amp 12 VAC....= 12VA ???).
The regs inject to op amp via R651/R653, ground from regs going to star gnd (output RCA) via C653/654 and ground from psu wired to C801/C802.

Before fitted, I have checked output regs and got +11.96V and -11.68V, but after sitted in the CDP I got ((+9.69 V), (-11.67V), standby mode) and ((+9.60V), (-11.67V), running mode), what happened??....(raw DC supply from new psu (+16.10VDC), (-15.96VDC)

After 10 hours 'break in' I have noted that sound more open, more smooth and more dinamic especially in the mid range area also more deep and weight bass but I don't yet satisfy with bass resolution, I need more. What can I do?, replace dioda with fast recovery ? (1N4937), release snubber circuit?,bypass caps tank in the new PSU? or replace + regs?, others?

Note: PSU with 2xBG 1000uF/35V, dioda (1N4007) and snubber.

Regards
aquar

Hi

A strange result! It is unlikely to be around the opamps as they seem to be working.
Recheck the regulator output and wiring - there may be a partial short.

Andy
PS where do you live? I lived in Balikpapan for several years.
Old 1st May 2007, 10:35 AM   #6513
diyAudio Member

Default Re: marantz 67 mods

Quote:
Originally posted by quan
Hi Simon, the right chanel showed 12V- ?analogue circuit problem -How do i trace the problem? Just another question ,how soon can i start working on cd player after switch off?you know those nasty shock?no chance taken. Quan.
I would suggest the right opamp is missing its -12V if there is +12v on the output (or vice versa).

Brent
Old 1st May 2007, 11:01 AM   #6514
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Default Re: Re: marantz 67 mods

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister
I would suggest the right opamp is missing its -12V if there is +12v on the output (or vice versa).

Brent
Listen to Brent, he knows this stuff

It looks like some checking of solder work on your op-amps or op-amp sockets (if used) is needed! If you're anything like me you've lifted a solder pad.

Simon
Old 1st May 2007, 12:08 PM   #6515
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question marantz 67 mod

Thanks Brent/Simon-it's kind of getting late down under-i will definitely check the right op-amp socket solder pad tomorrow and will let you guys know it goes. This is my first diy kind of stuff-it is addictive-although +++head ache, and iam waiting for Marantz 63 delivery in the next day or two as the next project. Quan
Old 1st May 2007, 12:10 PM   #6516
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
It sure is addictive. It's also very frustrating at times, but when the ugprades work and it starts playing music like you've never heard it before it all becomes sooooo worth it!
Old 1st May 2007, 01:58 PM   #6517
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: marantz 67 mods

Quote:

Brent

Also, the o/p is pin7, the +12v is pin 8 - could be a short here as they are adjacent.
Old 1st May 2007, 02:01 PM   #6518
diyAudio Member

Lets hope not or if so lets hope the opamp is ok.

Brent
Old 1st May 2007, 02:35 PM   #6519
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Lets hope not or if so lets hope the opamp is ok.

Brent

I wonder if the headphone amp is still in circuit in this player?

If the 12V is getting into the output of the filter op-amp via a short, the h/p amp input coupling caps will stop it getting to the h/p op-amp and thus the jack.

If the -12V supply is not there, there will probably be massive offset on the h/p jack too as they run off the same supply.

Might reveal something. Don't plug phones in though, 12V won't do them any good.
Old 1st May 2007, 03:48 PM   #6520
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aquar
Before fitted, I have checked output regs and got +11.96V and -11.68V, but after sitted in the CDP I got ((+9.69 V), (-11.67V), standby mode) and ((+9.60V), (-11.67V), running mode), what happened??....(raw DC supply from new psu (+16.10VDC), (-15.96VDC)

Regards
aquar
Hi Aquar,

Could be something's wrong with your wiring, since the reg works o.k. before fitting. Like Andy says, check the wiring and solder joints.
Second option could be there's something wrong with the transistor and cap-multiplier at the input of the LM317. If the transistor somehow doesn't get enough base current, the voltage will drop. Check the voltage at the input of the 317, it should be >14V.

Ray

Hide this!Advertise here!