Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Going to fit another reg to the dac soon. Does anyone reckon it's a good idea to use separate regs for dac analog L&R?

I did that, so I must've thought it was a good idea at the time, but I didn't try it both ways.

I think I looked at where the DAC's analogue ground pins went (to the RCA ground, but via separate left and right grounds) and decided it was better to have separate regs because there are separate grounds, if you catch my drift.

Same, it's separated on mine and has advantages for me: both are close to the cap they feed and easy to fit in the former big caps holes, it's lovely :)

And it should sound better... when I'll separate my DOS psus ;)

Attachments

• CD-53-Step-3.jpg
    CD-53-Step-3.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 147
Hi Ian

I got a 63 transported all comps from the 67 and all bar a couple of tweaks finished rays list...

:( still not liking this player, now joined the not working list so had to order a cheapo clock, audio-gd, a mix up with accounts means i'm still waiting:confused:

Seriously hoping the clock will bring some kind of change in this player to get close to the 67 perfomance:xfingers::xfingers::xfingers:

Hi padman i know what you mean about the 67 sounding better than the 63 my 67 hardly had any mods done only power rail caps opamps and HDAM by pass and it sounded s...t hot. Now the 63 has had loads done and its just starting to sound really good simont as just fitted me a c1 clock havent had chance to have a good listen but its defo gave the top end more detail

Hi Glen
My biggest grumble is the detail on the 63, also the 67 sounded much more "analogue" after only a few mods.
The 63 really hasn't changed all that much despite changing loads of components and using "better" BGs and tin hat amps.
:xfingers: on re clocking the dac and servo, if it jumps forward i may continue with regs and psu's
As i'm not an electronics engineer i don't understand why the 2 players are so different:confused:
The only thing done to the 67 not done on the 63 is splitting d/a supplies, i tried it but it failed to read the disc so put it back to original.
When did you find that "leap" in performance?

Cheers Ian

When did you find that "leap" in performance?

Three major mods for me were:
1) Clock (Tent XO2 + XO Supply)
2) Regs for each DAC section
3) Regulating the servo amps (already done for free on 67)

For op-amps, I like a toe-tapping sound and for me those LMs (even the tin hat ones) are total pants.
2xAD825 did it for me (although 2xAD8065 was very good, as was LM6172+OPA627). All SMDs.

Hi padman know what you mean my 67 only had the tin hat opamps caps power rail caps and HDAM by pass and it sounded bloody good. But the 63 had all the same mods and it sounded **** till SIMONT fitted me 5 extra power regs and tonight he fitted me a c1 clock but its bit late to have a good listen but the short listen i did have it sounded very good i will let you know my findings. As im interested why 2 simler players can sound so different

I went discrete on the 67, but with a Zapfilter. It made a big improvement, but the 63 with AD825 still beat it in the end. Even the Zapfilter couldn't shake off the slightly constipated sound that my 67 had, and that my 63 never had.

I don't use it anymore - I use a Squeezebox3 and a lightly-modded Dacmagic. To my ears it's better still, especially the imaging, which is holographic. But I digress....