Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi

Please can someone help me with fitting a Tentlabs XO3.2 into my CD63?

I can work out where to take "clock out" from (bottom pin of crystal and right pin of CD02 cap).

The XO 3.2 contains an additional reclocking circuit for the digital output (SPDIF), which requires interrupting the signal between the decoder and the buffer and feeding it into "SPDIF in" on the XO3.2 board.

There seems to be no decoder on my CD63 board, just an empty slot for a SAA7345.

Where should I take my signal from?

Thanks guys.

Hi Michael,

You can connect the new clock signal from the XO3.2 to the empty pads of CD03. One of them is GND, the other leads to the XIN pin of the DAC. If you want to make the signal path even shorter, remove U196 and use the pad closest to the DAC chip as XIN and connect GND at CD05.

The decoder space is not empty, it's located at the underside of the board (it's an SMD). Pin 2 is S/P-dif out (DOBM). The CD63 has no additional buffer as mentioned in the XO3.2 instructions. You can use both options as mentioned: install a new (BNC) socket or interrupt the existing track and run the signal via the XO3.2 PCB. Hope this clarifies things :D

Regards,

Ray

Pete,

I could be the negative version needs more or less capacity at the output. Sometimes they oscillate. Also the minimum load is 10mA, if you use 120R for the resistor from the OUT to ADJ pin, you already have that covered. Watch the polarity of the caps, plus is to GND with the negative version and the pinning is also different. Maybe superfluous info, but you never know...

Ray

Thanks Ray, I'm pretty sure I've got the polarity correct, I've checked it enough times:)

I'll have a play at the weekend with an additional load, maybe try to link a ground lead in from somewhere.

Pete

You can connect the new clock signal from the XO3.2 to the empty pads of CD03. One of them is GND, the other leads to the XIN pin of the DAC. If you want to make the signal path even shorter, remove U196 and use the pad closest to the DAC chip as XIN and connect GND at CD05.

The decoder space is not empty, it's located at the underside of the board (it's an SMD). Pin 2 is S/P-dif out (DOBM). The CD63 has no additional buffer as mentioned in the XO3.2 instructions. You can use both options as mentioned: install a new (BNC) socket or interrupt the existing track and run the signal via the XO3.2 PCB. Hope this clarifies things

Thanks Ray.

I will report my progress.

The decoder space is not empty, it's located at the underside of the board (it's an SMD). Pin 2 is S/P-dif out (DOBM). The CD63 has no additional buffer as mentioned in the XO3.2 instructions. You can use both options as mentioned: install a new (BNC) socket or interrupt the existing track and run the signal via the XO3.2 PCB. Hope this clarifies things

Thanks Ray.

I will report my progress.

Hi again i have checked all 10v supplies and thay are puting out 11v is that ok. Here is what hapens i put a disc in and it spins but i can here what sounds like the laser clicking if i press stop it doe nothing but if i press pause it stops it all together but to me the disc is spining far too fast and sounds fairly noisy. I have tried swaping the draw mec complete with laser but still same fault wont read disc, Display just says disc any body got any other ideas

Thanks Ray, I'm pretty sure I've got the polarity correct, I've checked it enough times:)

I'll have a play at the weekend with an additional load, maybe try to link a ground lead in from somewhere.

Pete

I tried a load of things and nothing made any difference.

In the end I decided to connect them anyway (what's 1/2v between friends :)). Lo and behold the voltages came back up again. Disconnected and had another play. Seems the 337s don't behave without a cap on the output. Must be specific to the 337s, the 317s work on without one.

Anyway, all's ok now, thanks for all the help and advice.

Pete

Bull, did you get any further with your cd63?

I also, just thought I'd post an update pic of my cd63 as it is at the moment.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Driver IC's are all regged with SPower's, dac, decoder, servo and rf all have diy regs for analog and digital supplies. I just have one more reg for the dac to fit and then I can start adding the tx's and psu's. It's really sounding incredible considering driver ic's and all 5v is running off one 30va tx (buzzes like a fridge mind you:D)

Cheers, Lee.

Starting to look good there matey :)

Stick a 30VA on the +/- rails (minimum)

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I tried a load of things and nothing made any difference.

In the end I decided to connect them anyway (what's 1/2v between friends :)). Lo and behold the voltages came back up again. Disconnected and had another play. Seems the 337s don't behave without a cap on the output. Must be specific to the 337s, the 317s work on without one.

Anyway, all's ok now, thanks for all the help and advice.
Hi Pete

Your input confirms my initial impressions.... 337 needs a cap and some load in the ouput.... I had just the same issues before and the sreg works fine once installed in the cdp.

Ricardo

Steve/Bull,

As you know I've been away for 2 weeks. I can't believe our luck with the player going down after I was so careful installing those regulators. My guess is one of them has pulled off the board and lost its ground or output. Hopefully no big voltages have hit any chips, as I know that will kill them almost instantly.

I did think some of the wire I used didn't take the solder as well as other bits, so that's a possibility. Those and the front ribbon connector are likely where our problem's at.

I'll take a look very soon!! I will e-mail :)

Simon

I have a question as stupid as always. There must be technical needs/explanations.
In headphones matter, an op amp is used to amplify the signal... wich must be attenuated!
Won't a CDP output just drive it fine directly?

Matthieu

It's not as stupid as you may think, because many simple headphone circuits use only one opamp. If you connect a headphone directly to the opamps in the player, it will work fine. You'll be listening to one fixed level though, without any volume pot before the opamps :D. The line level needs some amplification as well. That's why the headphone section usually uses a separate circuit with volume pot.

Ray

I use a CD-94 (with tent clock XO) in combination with Denon DA-500. I have made some mods to my cd-94, which I still like very much. I just do not know exactly how to take out the muting part out of the cd-94. Where should I start?
Your help would be much appreciated.

Eira

Hi Eira,

The muting section is usually two or four transistors connected between the player's output and GND, just before the RCA. You can locate them by studying the traces on the PCB, but a schematic of the output section would be nice. The transistors mounted closest to the RCA's are probably it.

Ray