Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Morning all

After much scanning the net and messing with service mode, err 10 and 02, everything is pointing to a laser fault, Ray pointed to a weak laser for the poor sound and skipping faults i had previously.

The laser can be seen when no disc is in place but i have no idea if it looks weak or if you can actually tell by "looking"

I found an old thread where Poynton (Andy?) said to check v at R122/123 for +/- 5v looking at the schem is 123 supposed to be -?
I have +5.10 at both

I still have the transport from my :dead: 67 but previously tried to make it work in the 63 with no luck

Maybe swapping the lasers over could bring the player back to life?

Ian

padman said:
Morning all

I found an old thread where Poynton (Andy?) said to check v at R122/123 for +/- 5v looking at the schem is 123 supposed to be -?
I have +5.10 at both

Maybe swapping the lasers over could bring the player back to life?

Ian

+5v is correct Ian, those are the analog and digital supplies to the servo chip i think. Also, have you checked for 5v at U200 and RD04 at the dac?

It doesn't sound like the laser to me - too much coincidence.

Cheers, Lee.

ps I'm in now if you want to ring.

Thanks guys,

Simon, is there any easy mistake to do there I should be aware of?
First I plan to get a try with wires from caps after 79/7812, a ground wire from each DOS to near RCA star ground and the RDxx lifted to steal their holes. That may works if the DOS is well wired...
Ray that's fine, with these ghetto boards I keep the player in the budget fixed before modding. It's a whole player under 150, maybe around 120€. That also sounds good :)

Matthieu

I can't tell much for home is full of familly life sounds: TV, kitchen and such... even before I put power on I first guess the speakers were humming but then realize that if not plugged it may be not the right time to listen ;)
What I can say is that it works, the output level is lower wich is nice for me and, last but not least, it seems more "integrated", less like -good bass, nice mids and lovely treble- but so straight and real... remember I came from full factory output but the lost LM4562. I also feel the music to be slower... maybe low volume feeling in a noisy and crazy TV cartoons background!
And for the caps they are the cheap MKP 6.8 bypassed with FT-1 Teflon 0.022 and it's already nice!