Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Lee,

right now I think of dedicated +5 with its own TX, reclock of DAC and Servo, DOS with factory supply.
Dedicated PSU for DOS if in budget, later if not.
I have found test board wich may be nice for the DOS ;) or like Ray on the HDAM area.

I remeber well when I fitted a Sercal Reg with BG it was one of the best mod with clock.

Ray, I see you are around ;) I've just removed useless stuff and fitted new op amps.
Unfortunately I did not try the remote (and use an universal one with Philips codes) and don't know if it was working... seems it's already "dead" (and have no clue of how to fix it... maybe the IR sensor can die and is easy to fix?).

Still have to think of all these and a "step by step" option, PSUs can be second step options...

Thanks guys!

Not wanting to state the obvious but have you checked the remote switch at the back??

You can toggle between Marantz/Philips remote bus and the std IR remote.

I've been caught out by it a couple of times! Its also usefull if you've got more than 1 player and you want to disable the remote as a temporary measure.

Ian

PS agree with Lee (as usual! ;) ) The dedicated low noise reg (SPower's best!) on the Analogue DAC supply is a must!

All the little mods are handy but it really needs:

* good reg on DAC analogue
* clock on DAC
* clock on servo

Those are among the most important mods on these players. The caps are more just the fine-tuning; the above lift the player out of its murky depths. Also getting the player sitting on cones is useful and inexpensive.

The bass you crave is a combination of many mods, but the "HA" can op-amps can give great, weighty bass when the clocking and some psu work is done.

Simon

SimontY said:
All the little mods are handy but it really needs:

* good reg on DAC analogue
* clock on DAC
* clock on servo

Those are among the most important mods on these players. The caps are more just the fine-tuning; the above lift the player out of its murky depths. Also getting the player sitting on cones is useful and inexpensive.

The bass you crave is a combination of many mods, but the "HA" can op-amps can give great, weighty bass when the clocking and some psu work is done.

Simon

Ha that's the right answer I was looking for Simon, thank you very much for that. And that's a very easy step by step upgrade option with later caps tries.
I may do all that at once and even do the DOS. But keep the OEM caps ( some OEM Cerafine will be saved then ;) ) and do it later.
Starting to prepare orders...

For the remote... once again the switch curse... ;)

Matthieu

Batteries is like a CD-43: very annoying...

Here is my plan right now, any comment welcome.
In Green what I'll do right now if enough money, in Red what may be done a bit later, maybe birthday (in may! ;) ) or summer or long cold winter... note that if I get my sample LT1086 +5V I'll feed the DAC with at step 1.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Voilà!

Another thing that works well on the clamp (perhaps only of use to UK residents) is those flashing 'Birthday Boy' badges! Bear with me....

...they have a small permanent magnet on the back which goes inside your shirt to hold the badge on. This magnet is the size and shape of a 5-pence piece. If you place it on the top of the clamp (you'll know if it's the wrong way around) it clamps the disc turntable much more securely.

The VAM1202 turntable magnet is also much weaker than the CDM12.1 and it can slip and squeak without this.

I've cured a couple of noisy CD-63s this way, and they've been happily running for a couple of years.

They sell the the badges on the counter at Cards Galore for a couple of quid. Also it holds itself in position, so you can nudge it until it's central.

Here they are.