Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 611 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2007, 04:35 PM   #6101
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
What mods does yours currently have Lee?
Old 24th March 2007, 05:35 PM   #6102
diyAudio Member

Got the new laser unit for my 67 today. That was fast! Trouble is it doesn't look anything like the old one! maybe it is the same though. Have to undo the player to find out. If not there's a brand new laser assembly coming up for sale...
Old 24th March 2007, 05:38 PM   #6103
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
What mods does yours currently have Lee?
I have black-gates around opamps & dac & decoder, AD827's, 0.1% resistors and 1% polystyrene caps. Monster 6800uF low esr smoothing caps, extra toroid 2x9v for Invisus +5v analog & 4x lm317 digital 5v regs. Lm317 +12v, -12v for opamps. Superclock II. Silmics and Nichicon PL in various other positions. HDAM bypass etc, etc.

As I posted previously I tried the coax mod but that broke it.....

....it remains broken.

When it worked it sounded very, very nice. Fantastic texture to instruments. Detailed and smooth and warm. I also compared it with a current ~900 quad cd player and wiped the floor with that also

Lee.
Old 24th March 2007, 05:49 PM   #6104
diyAudio Member

Excellent Lee! It's more or less as modded as mine. Probably somewhat similar overall performance. I've not had the chance to directly compare mine to much!
Old 24th March 2007, 07:10 PM   #6105
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Take it for granted then, that it will beat most if not all players around the 1000 mark. That quad I compared is one of the current favourites in the hi-fi press (whatever that means).

One really big thing I enjoy about modding, is the way you can tailor the sound to suite personal preference through the use of different components.

I am wondering if it's possible to tailor Brent's discrete output stage to give a "warmer" sound, as he says it's similar to lm4562, which may be a little too analytical for me.

Lee.
Old 24th March 2007, 07:13 PM   #6106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomo
I am wondering if it's possible to tailor Brent's discrete output stage to give a "warmer" sound, as he says it's similar to lm4562, which may be a little too analytical for me.
Hmm, it's warm enough I reckon, very neutral sounding. Perhaps fewer Black Gates and more Elna Cerafines, as well as using a coloured sounding cap in the DC blocking part of the discrete stage, would make a warmer-sounding version. Also he could use copper instead of silver wire. But really it's good as it is, believe me!
Old 24th March 2007, 07:17 PM   #6107
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Speaking of output stages, has anyone tried transformers (in this or any player)?

Lundahl for example?

What are the pros and cons?

Also, these Zapfilters. A 2nd-order filter with a cutoff at 100kHz?
It's not going to do much filtering is it.
Presumably one can front with some additional RC or LC with little penalty.
Old 24th March 2007, 09:13 PM   #6108
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by awpagan
You think your different..........
I hear,,,,,, Ray likes Valves

allan
Don't tempt me...

Quote:
Originally posted by IMSTOOPID
I was just wonderign how good a modded 63 sounded compared to a good outboard dac.. someday I'll get around to doing my own..
once I build my premap and crossover.
I can add a little info to this. My modded CD67 (and it is not as heavily modded as some other peoples players here) outperforms a Marantz SA8400, in standard original state that is, at CD playback. I also listened to a Van Medevoort DA333 DAC recently, with my CD67 used as a transport. This nice DAC (retail price around 1200 euros I think) was not able to deliver the music like the CD67 did on its own! Lucky for the owner he bought it for 400 euros...but still, he was a bit disappointed with it. So that tells you something about the level that can be reached with these players.

Regards,

Ray
Old 25th March 2007, 01:08 AM   #6109
YoungSC is offline YoungSC  Australia
diyAudio Member

I just tried to hook up my separate power supply which made the thing go wrong last time. And I've broken it again

I'm getting a focus error this time instead of a radial error.

The separate power supply was putting out 5V, so I don't understand it. I only hooked it up to the DAC digital and analogue and removed U200.

In diagnostic mode,
P01 does nothing so the laser does not move up and down as if to focus.
P02 starts to spin clockwise then spins rapidly anti-clockwise.
P03 the laser moves backwards and forwards OK and the disc spins backwards then forwards oscillating every second or so.

I have tried two transports, so the error resides on the main PCB. My guess is the section that controls the transport.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions. If I get it working, I promise I won't try and hook up the separate power supply again.

Thanks,

Simon (Oz)
Old 25th March 2007, 07:24 AM   #6110
diyAudio Member

This forum is only for the brave and foolhardy!
I should have known...the laser IS the right one. BUT there are all those tiny wires that have to be soldered and re-soldered. And the rubber suspension thing'ys, and getting it all back together again!!! There's a trick, I know there is but I don't dare take any more bits out or I will never get them back in the right order.
Gag sob howl...this better be the fix...I feel like driving the car slowly over a Marantz 67, several times. Nobody talks about the horriblle stuff, only the glowing results

Hide this!Advertise here!