Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

gy21 said:

And it is already sounding really good :) , thx for the advise overhere guys and thx for the last DOS pcb brent!

Here are two pics.

80_cd67apr0901.jpg

80_cd67apr0902.jpg

Good work. I add the 2.2uF MKP Mundorfs as a freebie, later on swap them for a 4.7uF Supreme. The quality is better.
Also swap the regs for something better later on too as this pcb thrives on clean power rails

Brent

rowemeister said:

Good work. I add the 2.2uF MKP Mundorfs as a freebie, later on swap them for a 4.7uF Supreme. The quality is better.
Also swap the regs for something better later on too as this pcb thrives on clean power rails

Brent

Thx for the tip, I will just wait a while and enjoy the pcb as it is now, later on I will probably add some better components to it.

As it is now it is already the biggest improvement I have done sofar.

gy21 said:

Thx for the tip, I will just wait a while and enjoy the pcb as it is now, later on I will probably add some better components to it.

As it is now it is already the biggest improvement I have done sofar.

I'd def agree. The DOS is nothing short of spectacular. I'm currently playing with tube buffer to replace the DOS on my TDA1541 player and so far the DOS is better!

I'd definately go for BG's on the boards and the Big supreme's on the output in time. As you say, enjoy it as is for now ;)

I've just seen, because I did not folowwed this thread for a while, the former DOS based on Ray's design and the slod one by Brent... are they gone?? Brent, these DOS vs Burson?

And to all, do these parts from Ray's website to built the DOS can be fitted in a " rethinked " HDAM output? I have no stuff to build PCBs (and no player yes I know...), any source?

gy21 said:
I just saw some pictures, on brent's site, from the supreme's. Man those are big caps, these are not easy to implement in my current setup in the player ;)

Is there a special reason why you also move to the bigger cap value?

4,7uF instead of the current 2,2uF?

I use attenuated leads and 2.2uF caused a little bass roll off. To test your own setup you could tack a cheap 2.2uF across the 2.2uF that are fitted (4.4uF) and if you find the bass improves then you will probably require a 4.7uF.

Brent

Malefoda said:
I've just seen, because I did not folowwed this thread for a while, the former DOS based on Ray's design and the slod one by Brent... are they gone?? Brent, these DOS vs Burson?

And to all, do these parts from Ray's website to built the DOS can be fitted in a " rethinked " HDAM output? I have no stuff to build PCBs (and no player yes I know...), any source?

Yes I no longer sell the DOS due to my costs and very slow sales :(

Having done extensive testing the Burson loses very little to the DOS, both benefit from good regs and caps etc. Yes the DOS edges it but that depends on the quality of the output cap mainly. The Burson does not require a cap (lower costs) and can be used in all but the tightest of spaces. I wouldn't use the Bursons in my upgrades if they were crap.

Brent

TY Its pretty cool and definately a big boys toy! Fortunately Nets dad looks after it with 2 other guys. It means we get to play all summer and someone else pays the bills! ;)

Back on topic again! There has been some talk about the DOS and the fact its no longer available.

Any one intersted in a valve stage?

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/873/

A copy of this unity gain stage is available on ebay fairly cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tube-buffer-a...QQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250399104433
You only need valves and a reasonable 12v tx and you're in business. There is also a board only version for about £10! I've also obtained the illusive circuit diagram (which doesn't come with the kit even though it should by trawling through chineese forums!) I've used it in place of the DOS in my cd960 player.

Some of the std components are not very good but some tweeks and its starting to come alive.
See
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/x-10dupgrade.html

So far I've got FC's and schottky's and my 4.7uf supreme's on the output. Hopefully a few more caps for the audio path will arrive tomorrow.

As it's fairly simple (no 300v HT) it might be a good introduction to valves and from what I've read, it may work particularly well with 63/67

Ian