Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Haha yes, I'll tell ya after I get mine ;)
How much do you think a CD53 cost? On the french market guys are going crazy and able to sell a CD63SE around 150€ wich IMO s too expensivet. I ever missed a CD63 at 1€ on eBay... not sold! F...k!
I know one for 65€ inc shipping if you want but for me it's too much.
I may find it on eBay but that will take time... ever got a CD53 for a friend, just done key caps and LM4562 and sich and he was amazed for a 50€ player can do such good music!

rowemeister said:

Sorry to hear about the transport damage :(

The pcb will take a few weeks to get to its best sound.

Brent

And it is already sounding really good :) , thx for the advise overhere guys and thx for the last DOS pcb brent!

Here are two pics.

80_cd67apr0901.jpg

80_cd67apr0902.jpg

Yes it is.
I was looking for some at 1€ but the living without a remote control is very disturbing. If I remember well op amps in this one and some caps are even worst than in the CD53. BTW all what make a CD63SE will be gone soon but the bigger TX. If you add some extra TX for dedicated duties it will be the same plus the fact the HDAM is already gone ;)

They're the best bang-for-buck, if you just want to carry out a few mods as when you reclock the dac, the servo is done also.

BUT, the cd63 with the dac & servo reclocked separately will leave the cd57/67 for dead. With two clocks on a cd43/53/63 the detail is in another league.

Cheers, Lee.

Yeh, for bang-for-buck get a CD53 if you think you might do a lot of work to it, or a CD57 if you just want to do a few simple parts swaps. If an SE comes up cheaply buy it for the meatier transformer and chassis - these things help. The KI isn't worth the huge premium unless going all-out.

If you want a full-bodied and dynamic piano and vocal, buy a TDA1541A player, such as the Arcam Alpha 5 or Philips CD640/650/660 etc. These are sometimes dirt cheap too. Very different sound to the Marantzes here.

Simon

regarding tda1541, some sony models can kick ***, too. while I am still waiting for tca0372 replacement, I am running my system with a cdp-750. It's quite old player, almost 20 years and still ok. It has some advantages in comparison to marantz:
- small neat PCB, better layout - short traces demodulator-filter-dac
- manual laser/mech adjustments, one can see focus & tracking error on the scope- helps debugging . and the adjustment procedure is easy...
- regulated servo
- very cheap, I paid for mine 8€ on ebay

The minuses:
- cheap plastic case, probably similar to older philips/marantz models a la cd40
- some non-standard voltage regulators, only 1 reg per voltage - but same as marantz!
- no service manual easily available

Sound-wise, after removing muting transistors, upgrading some caps & I/V opamp - very promising. Things left: clock, separate DAC psu, FET output stage. So, I'll have to cheap bought players ready for battle!

Greetings,
Pawel