Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I use blue - green now.

TBH I spent 2 hours blind testing it with and without the leds on (had a switch on the back) and got someone to randomly pick whether it was on or off.

In the end I could tell when they were swithed on. Only on 1 or 2 tracks of the Diana Krall cd. There was slightly better delicate treble but it was only slight. Enough for me to keep them though.

I do believe the leds would work better on a player that had an external laser mech.

Conclusion - Yes they do the very slightest improvement in delicate treble. It's more a bling factor hehe

Brent

Guys,
as I'm looking for a new CDP I'm hunting for an Acram CD73 or... a Cambridge 640C or 540/640 V2. 100€ on eBay seems fair (for the 640C, the Diva is more expensive, worth it?).
And you know better than me than Lee's thread has gone quite bad...
Before I go for it and with the knowledge & xp you got from these CDPs, is this player already far better than a NPC Marantz?
They are more expensive, but if they are already way ahead it's saved time ;) And this Wolfson DAC?
I've 2 LMExxx20HA left and dc blocking caps are free, that should already give goo results, then good caps and later dedicated PSUs and if needed a clock and here we go.
Anyway I hope I can get help if I start a new thread ;) And I know what is your "reward" on hours spend on tries and the best suppliers for me :)

Matthieu

I did some serious listening to the lm4562na now for 3 days.

CD's

(Diana Krall - When I Look In Your Eyes)
(Steely Dan - Two Against Nature)
(Eric Clapton - Unplugged)
(Van Morrisson - Hymns To The Silence)

And my conclsusion is that the LM4562NA is the best opamp I ever tried.

Before I was listening to the AD843 on browndogs. But I tried lot's of opamps (BB 2132/34, AD 8620, AD823 etc etc).

The LM4562na has a a full bodied bass, only slightly less the the AD843, it is just more controlled. The highs are a bit more upfront, but not much.

The amount of resolution and detail is amazing. In my opinion the LM4562NA is the best opamp in the most fields.

I can hardly wait to hear what the DOS will do :)

Malefoda said:
Guys,
as I'm looking for a new CDP I'm hunting for an Acram CD73 or... a Cambridge 640C or 540/640 V2. 100€ on eBay seems fair (for the 640C, the Diva is more expensive, worth it?).
And you know better than me than Lee's thread has gone quite bad...
Before I go for it and with the knowledge & xp you got from these CDPs, is this player already far better than a NPC Marantz?
They are more expensive, but if they are already way ahead it's saved time ;) And this Wolfson DAC?
I've 2 LMExxx20HA left and dc blocking caps are free, that should already give goo results, then good caps and later dedicated PSUs and if needed a clock and here we go.
Anyway I hope I can get help if I start a new thread ;) And I know what is your "reward" on hours spend on tries and the best suppliers for me :)

Matthieu

If you want a Budget player to mod buy the CD6002. Sooo much better tnan the CA 640V2.
Those wolfson dacs are very fragile but they also only cost a few $$
The Arcam cd73 has a poor cct layout with nice parts fitted, but after a decent upgrade it did sound very nice indeed.

Brent

The cd63 can probably be taken further (due to the knowledge here) than the CD73 or 640. I'd not bother with either, however, when you can pick up TDA1541 gems for as little as €10. The only issue is that they need a lot of work to get the resolution and detail out. If you like a detailed, fresh sound the CD73 is a wonderful choice, I do like it a lot, and it's better than the Cambridge Audio players, which somehow aren't as musical from what I've heard.

Simon

So if I find a CD53/63/57/67 or an old TDA1541 and with some work they'll be singing beyond hope? No need to fight to get a 200GPB CD73? Nice!
They are cheap, can buy clock and such with the money saved.
Remember I had that best CD53 of the world before Ricardo stole this rank ;) And I'm missing that player :'(

Is it the magic of the NPC said to be a copy of a nice Crystal DAC?

Good day all and happy hols:D

I'm looking for advise on what next??

So far
power supplies, replaced c803/804/813 separated with regs at rd04 removed u203 replaced d801-804/811/812/854/855 with shottkeys
Opamps replaced + caps c611-614
HDAM bypassed and removed via r651-654 ch01/02 c651-658 headphone disabled removed c901/902 u139/140

i would love fit c1 clock and spower but lack funds and the tt needs an arm and cart so caps it will have to be for now:)

Which 1's to replace and what brand/value? any suggestions gratefully received as always

padman said:
Good day all and happy hols:D

I'm looking for advise on what next??

So far
power supplies, replaced c803/804/813 separated with regs at rd04 removed u203 replaced d801-804/811/812/854/855 with shottkeys
Opamps replaced + caps c611-614
HDAM bypassed and removed via r651-654 ch01/02 c651-658 headphone disabled removed c901/902 u139/140

i would love fit c1 clock and spower but lack funds and the tt needs an arm and cart so caps it will have to be for now:)

Which 1's to replace and what brand/value? any suggestions gratefully received as always

Hi Ian, Glad it worked out well so far!

Def go for the 4 caps I mentioned before. I think they are CD15&16, (analoguge DAC) and CD07 (Dig DAC) and CD04 (Clock). It def those 4 caps you want but I'm doing it from memory so you'd need to check the diagram!

Go for ZA's or even Black gates if you can streach to it! Also if you arm yourself with a load of 220uf ZA's there are decoupling caps on the servo and HF area that will benefit. Look at the mods list at the start of this thread and work on the decoupling caps. I think there is also a small value cap in the HF area that makes a big difference. Ricardo put me onto it! Maybe he can comment again??

You could always follow the principles learned on seperating the DAC power supplies and start to look elsewhere to do the same. std 5v regs are cheap as chips!

I think you are right that your next big investment in this player should be a Clock and SPower for the analogue DAC supply which you've already seperated.

Ian :)

Today I received the DOS. I installed it right away.

Easy to do. First listening impression is very good. More real life like music.

One downside of the mudorf's, both output connection from the mundorf were broken. At first I didn't see it, I installed them and there was only very soft music. All kind of trouble shooting done, checked all connections, measered power on input of the board.

And in a glimpse I saw the broken cpnnection, big coincedance that was on both boards.

I guess must have happened during transport. It was easy to fix.

gy21 said:
Today I received the DOS. I installed it right away.

Easy to do. First listening impression is very good. More real life like music.

One downside of the mudorf's, both output connection from the mundorf were broken. At first I didn't see it, I installed them and there was only very soft music. All kind of trouble shooting done, checked all connections, measered power on input of the board.

And in a glimpse I saw the broken cpnnection, big coincedance that was on both boards.

I guess must have happened during transport. It was easy to fix.

Sorry to hear about the transport damage :(

The pcb will take a few weeks to get to its best sound.

Brent

padman said:
Hi guys

Just want to pick the collective knowledge on here!!

My player has started to be selective on reading disks any ideas??

Thanks in advance Ian

I keep saying this all the time :xeye: i'm like a stuck record lol. The connectors between the pcbs are crap.

While it's running try gently moving the ribbons and see if it causes the laser to stop (or if it interupts it).

Brent

Up, ribbon & connector POS.
Brent, I've read about the 6002 and seems stuff as McIntosh uses the same CS chip. People said it's a wonder for the price.
Let me adjust my weapon (almost empty wallet) to a good target and here I'll go, according to patience & saving possibilities:
for 20€ or less, TDA1541A based CDP, such as CD830 Philips,
for 50€ or less, a CD53/63/57/67,
for 200 (!!) a CD6002.

Each will take time, mood or such to mod it. Of course a 200€ 6002 will be ahead of a 63, so some mods are "saved". But maybe a load of BG, two clocks and DOS will already make a CD63 better than a stock 6002?

What do you think of these Brent & fellows?

Thanks for making me choose the right one "for ever" ;)

Matthieu

My target right now:
a non-loved (cheap!) CD53,
already in hands LME49720HA, iron to remove muting trans, DC blocking caps and such,
coax mod ( ;) )
a 22USD clock with one 16 and one 8 output to reclock the DAC & Servo,
some 100nF bypass caps & fast rectifiers,
TX for the clock,
TX for the Dac,
TX for op amps,
some BG caps (if able to find),
some good stuff on the filter.

That should already be a good player ;) but I'm scared by the real price...

So it's real price of CD53 modded in this state vs CD 6002 "as is" (and it's good headphones output) and the fact it should still be under garantee... and is there any thread of this player modded? Can't find any...

Guys?

Matthieu