Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

oh not again....

I undid some mods that made my player sound slow and flat, they were simple mods removing extra psus from dac and filter.
Now the disk wont spin, eject works, put a disk in and nothing. Im sure the ribbon connector is fine as it looks very firm and passes continuity test.
I get 5v to servo chips q106,7 and 8 pin 5?
Any ideas where to?

q101 on the servo pcb is getting 5v as well on pin 12 and the other two noted in the schematic.

weird, I turned the motor that drives the laser back and forth to the end of its travels. Then I turned everything back on and the laser moved into position and found the disc:)
I think it was pushed against a stop like a reed switch? Not sure but it has happened in the past when fiddling and I was unsure why it went again.

Anyway, I builg regs with like 8000uF of capacitance with pre regs and one reg for dac digital, analog and decoder. It really wasnt so nice, granted they were 7812 and 7912. I have gone back to the original psu with new panasonic fc decoupling caps and Oscons for digital.

I may try new regs in the future but with less capacitance and maybe use lm317, they do sound better. I might make some little boards, they are damn usefull regs.

I also used Rubycon ZL for decoupling, im not sure if I liked them, but making too many changes its hard to know what went wrong. The reason I do this is not to keep dicking with the poor thing:) The less times the board comes out the better.

BTW having been a non modder for a while, whats the flavour of the month for opamps on these? Anyone made boards of the discreet I/V?

oh no, its doing it again. So it seems its to do with the mechanical mechanism? Can anyone shed some light?

I tried this again and it did nothing. I tried service mode again. It comes up with P01, if I press the next track button it goes to P02 and the laser is at the edge of the disc and its moving up and down trying to focus, but its too far from the disc, the red laser is on. It then goes back to err02.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz said:

If I put a reg in U179, Can I leave C513 as stock ?
Hi Lee
I read that Ray is using a ELNA 470uF on C513.... so the problems I found are not due to the size of the cap.

nevertheless I would like your input here.

Can I put a reg in U179 and leave the ceramic in C513 place ?

Thomo said:
Just a quick note: Please don't follow that list made by me. It is not the best way of doing things!!!
This was meant to me right ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Luke said:
oh no, its doing it again. So it seems its to do with the mechanical mechanism? Can anyone shed some light?

I tried this again and it did nothing. I tried service mode again. It comes up with P01, if I press the next track button it goes to P02 and the laser is at the edge of the disc and its moving up and down trying to focus, but its too far from the disc, the red laser is on. It then goes back to err02.

I had a similar situation and after much trial and error, I found the problem was with the ribbon.

Although it measure ok and looked firmly in place, sometimes it looses contact with the socket.

After cleaning and much trying, the player started to play again.... when it did, I left it turning overnight and now it is fixed.

Hope this helps

Ricardo

Luke said:
I may try new regs in the future but with less capacitance and maybe use lm317, they do sound better. I might make some little boards, they are damn usefull regs.

Anyone made boards of the discreet I/V? [/B]

Lee has offered to make a PCB for me! Think I'll Go for it I too lazy and don't have exposure unit anymore (Also hate ferric chloride) Perhaps he could do a run and make 20 > 50 and sell them on his site.

Where can we get Fibreglass stripboard these days???

Attachments

• 317t.jpg
    317t.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 274
Lee has offered to make a PCB for me! Think I'll Go for it I too lazy and don't have exposure unit anymore (Also hate ferric chloride) Perhaps he could do a run and make 20 > 50 and sell them on his site. Where can we get Fibreglass stripboard these days???

Hi Hotiron

Ive never been to Aberdeen so I cant comment on where you can get strip board from, but a good friend worked on the rigs for a year and loved.

Im definitely interested in an I/V board if Lee is going to make some.

I had a similar situation and after much trial and error, I found the problem was with the ribbon. Although it measure ok and looked firmly in place, sometimes it looses contact with the socket. After cleaning and much trying, the player started to play again.... when it did, I left it turning overnight and now it is fixed.

Hi Ricardo, Thanks for that. I might try the insulation tape on the ribbon as suggested before. I think its not so much the ribon as connector pins getting pushed in.

Anybody out there knows what err02 means I would appreciate hearing from you:)

I

Luke said:

Anybody out there knows what err02 means I would appreciate hearing from you:)

Hi mate.

Sorry can't remember myself what that means, but if you find one of Ray's posts and click on the link to his site you should find service manuals there.

If you have a Maplins within reach they do stripboards, also tripad stripboards as well. They also do mail order off the website.

Good luck

Jim