Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 552 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2007, 03:19 PM   #5511
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by dantwomey

Here's a helpful link to some R-core transfomers.

Regards,
Dan
Excellent, thanks!

Simon
Old 29th January 2007, 04:27 PM   #5512
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imperfectcircle
Hi guys I got some samples of these ultra low esr capacitors in the mail the other day and I was wondering if they would be any good to use in my cd67. They are 470/16v so they would be a nice size to use for the DAC or opamps. I know I read someplace that ultra low esr isnt always a good thing. What do you guys think?

Go ahead. Someone has done the experiment, but do try it yourself. Let's hear your result.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...95#post1041995

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...92#post1042192
Old 29th January 2007, 07:41 PM   #5513
diyAudio Member

Well the caps I have are much lower esp than the Panasonic FC, so they proably wont sound very good for the analog sections. Ill stick to Silmic, Cerafine, Muse or BG for analog. Now ive heard good things about Rubycon ZL and Oscons for digital decoupling, maybe these caps I have would work well for digital? They are lower esr then even Rubycon ZL/ZA, Ive heard they are omong the lowest esr cap you can buy. Very popular among computer overclockers to get better stability at high freq. But never tried them in digital audio.
Old 29th January 2007, 07:46 PM   #5514
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Decouple your digital consumers as hard as you like but be careful with the analog ones. But do try it - and let's hear your results.
Old 30th January 2007, 05:03 AM   #5515
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by imperfectcircle
Well the caps I have are much lower esp than the Panasonic FC, so they proably wont sound very good for the analog sections. Ill stick to Silmic, Cerafine, Muse or BG for analog. Now ive heard good things about Rubycon ZL and Oscons for digital decoupling, maybe these caps I have would work well for digital? They are lower esr then even Rubycon ZL/ZA, Ive heard they are omong the lowest esr cap you can buy. Very popular among computer overclockers to get better stability at high freq. But never tried them in digital audio.
Can we have a name and a picture for these mystery caps ??

Andy
Old 30th January 2007, 10:06 PM   #5516
YoungSC is offline YoungSC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I'm back to annoy you.

I'm about to order a number of Black Gate caps for replacements and also to build the reg board below. I've modified Brent's diagram posted earlier.

Click the image to open in full size.

Since the recommendation is to draw power for the board from C803, I realised I would need some preregulation if I was going to use 16V caps. I've chosen 14V to give enough juice for the 12V regs but not go to close to the 16V max for the caps.

I'm going to be running the following regs on this board:
DAC 5V (analogue)
DAC 5V (digital)
DAC 5V (clock)
Decoder 5V (digital)
Decoder 5V (analogue)
Trichord Clock 12V
2 x Opamps 12V - hopefully placed close to the opamps

Question time:

I figured I'll need a capacitor after the 14V prereg. Have I hooked it up correctly in this diagram? Is it big enough or can I use a smaller value?

What type of caps would be suitable for C3 & C4 and what values?

Thanks again for your help,

Simon
Old 31st January 2007, 12:56 AM   #5517
Gooch is offline Gooch  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Guy's

What would make my CD63 read some disc and not others?
I cleaned the lens it didn't help any suggestions.
Old 31st January 2007, 05:11 AM   #5518
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooch
Hi Guy's

What would make my CD63 read some disc and not others?
I cleaned the lens it didn't help any suggestions.
Are we talking commercial disks or CD-R / CD-RW ??

When I had my shop, some years ago, A cd-player came in that would only play 2 cds out of 50 or so around. Both were Eric Clapton - obviously a player with taste !

Andy

EDIT :- I could not fix it and eventually sold it to a Japanese student for a fiver with a full fault description. He never complained or came back!
Old 31st January 2007, 05:18 AM   #5519
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungSC

Since the recommendation is to draw power for the board from C803, I realised I would need some preregulation if I was going to use 16V caps. I've chosen 14V to give enough juice for the 12V regs but not go to close to the 16V max for the caps.
2v headroom may be a little on the low side IMO. It would be better if you changed the caps to 25v and pre-reg'ed to 18v.

Andy
Old 31st January 2007, 09:08 AM   #5520
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by poynton

2v headroom may be a little on the low side IMO. It would be better if you changed the caps to 25v and pre-reg'ed to 18v.

Andy
But isn't 18v a little close to ~20v in the latter scenario? Perhaps he should preregulate at just under 16v and just let the caps run close to tolerance - they're expensive and not delivering much current, surely they won't mind it.

Also, might it be wise to NOT take the voltage for the clock, op-amps and everything else from this one supply?

Perhaps the clock and op-amps should take their voltages from different places. I'd suggest a dedicated transformer is used to power the clock. It need only be very small.

Do you think you can manage to knock up a small power supply for the clock, Simon?

Simon (lol)

Hide this!Advertise here!