Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 551 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2007, 04:13 PM   #5501
diyAudio Member

hi i know this is a bit off topic at the moment, but ive been lurking in the background whilst deciding on how to mod my cd67 which a got for a great price 12 pounds in full working order just a little rust on the back plate which was taken care of with white spirit and a lot of elbow greace.

anyway my question is that i want to build a completly separate power supply for it how many trannys will i need at what voltage out do they need to be and waht va rating would you recommend

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 27th January 2007, 04:29 PM   #5502
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Simon, where are you ???
Old 27th January 2007, 07:41 PM   #5503
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
Simon, where are you ???
Err, here, lol
Old 27th January 2007, 07:49 PM   #5504
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reddish75
anyway my question is that i want to build a completly separate power supply for it how many trannys will i need at what voltage out do they need to be and waht va rating would you recommend

any help would be greatly appreciated
Hi,

I'm heading in this direction too. So far I have the following:

Transformer #1: clock supplies
winding #1: 'superclock' feed
winding #2: servo clock divider feed (not needed in CD67)

Transformer #2: digital supplies
winding #1: DAC and decoder digital pins
winding #2: DAC clock reference pin

Transformer #3: analogue supplies
winding 1 (centre-tapped tx.): DAC and decoder analogue

That is the situation at the moment. It sounds superb. I will be adding a further transformer (number 4) just for the servo (one winding analogue, one digital).

The internal transformer will keep powering the op-amps in mine (it's a KI so has a good transformer).

You might like to use a separate, dedicated power supply with it's own transformer for the +/-12v.

Every voltage rail used for audio (every one bar the logic chip basically) should be fed by a low noise regulator. This will allow the full, sweet, natural detail to come through. The sound will not be digital in the slightest. You'll need the other mods too of course (reclocking, op-amps etc.)

To go external you'll need an "umbelical" cord to connect things up. I can recommend the use of DIN plugs. Get nice ones of course. If you want to go mental why not use one cable for analogue psus, and a second for digital? This will be easier to solder up too, if that's an issue.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fifth psu 3.jpg (86.2 KB, 350 views)
Old 27th January 2007, 07:55 PM   #5505
diyAudio Member

As for VA and voltages, just make the voltages sensible and the VA macho-high. It's generally considered that high VA transformers sound better.

Most of the voltage rails are 5v - dac, decoder, servo. So for these I'd recommend transformers that will provide roughly 10vac or a touch under. This will provide plenty of headroom for regulators to work with.

For the 12v + and - you will obviously need a slightly higher voltage, like 17vac.

Just bear in mind you will need about 3 volts minimum overhead for the regulators to regulate properly. And most regulators will take 30 to 35 volts input.

Use schottky or HEXFRED diodes.

Simon
Old 27th January 2007, 07:58 PM   #5506
diyAudio Member

Another thing to bear in mind is the transformer type. It is often said the best sounding are R-core. If you have the cash to splash give them a whirl! If on a tight budget you could use E/I core for the digital, as less high frequency noise passes through than with a toroid. Also some people are generally against toroids for hi-fi, saying they sound lifeless and clinical. Don't use old E/I cores unless you don't mind some mechanical hummmm!

Simon
Old 29th January 2007, 02:51 PM   #5507
diyAudio Member

Hi guys I got some samples of these ultra low esr capacitors in the mail the other day and I was wondering if they would be any good to use in my cd67. They are 470/16v so they would be a nice size to use for the DAC or opamps. I know I read someplace that ultra low esr isnt always a good thing. What do you guys think?
Old 29th January 2007, 02:59 PM   #5508
diyAudio Member

Try them and trust your ears.

Your ears are better than any technical bobbins some nerd on here will come up with. Run them in for a week then swap back and see what you think.

Brent
Old 29th January 2007, 02:59 PM   #5509
diyAudio Member

Hi,

How about just solder some in around the op-amps? Then see what flavour they give. If you like it add some more elsewhere.

I doubt you can go wrong with the ones for digital supplies.

Simon

edit: yeh, just try em!
Old 29th January 2007, 03:16 PM   #5510
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
Another thing to bear in mind is the transformer type. It is often said the best sounding are R-core. If you have the cash to splash give them a whirl! If on a tight budget you could use E/I core for the digital, as less high frequency noise passes through than with a toroid. Also some people are generally against toroids for hi-fi, saying they sound lifeless and clinical. Don't use old E/I cores unless you don't mind some mechanical hummmm!

Simon
Here's a helpful link to some R-core transfomers.

Regards,
Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!