Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

avr300 said:
While we are slightly OT.

I have found my new toy - the Sabre DAC in TP's Buffalo implementation, with a TP IVY as I/V and a Squeezebox3 as transport.

This combo is just <b>light years</b> ahead of the 63.

So, I'll be lurking this threat, but my engagement with my 63 has cooled off.

Have a nice weekend, all of you.

Link to any of this stuff? :D

Simon

avr300 said:
While we are slightly OT.

I have found my new toy - the Sabre DAC in TP's Buffalo implementation, with a TP IVY as I/V and a Squeezebox3 as transport.

This combo is just <b>light years</b> ahead of the 63.

So, I'll be lurking this threat, but my engagement with my 63 has cooled off.

Have a nice weekend, all of you.

You stole my thunder!

I'm planning this... but using the duet. The receiver uses I2S internally (unlike SB3 which is left-justified). The lack of display makes it all easier to box up as the interface is on the remote.
I may just stick to S/PDIF but it seems a shame to.
I was tempted by the WM8741 (and PCM1794) options until I read the gushing opinions of the ESS Sabre.

Generic discrete output stage?

Just a quick question: when you folks put in a discrete output stage (believe you call them DOS?), and don't have room for a separate PSU for this, any recommendations on how to power it? Do you use a pair of S-power regs powered off the player supplies? If so, where would I look for these (S-power regs)?

Thanks,

Chris

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Generic discrete output stage?

Pars said:
Just a quick question: when you folks put in a discrete output stage (believe you call them DOS?), and don't have room for a separate PSU for this, any recommendations on how to power it? Do you use a pair of S-power regs powered off the player supplies? If so, where would I look for these (S-power regs)?

Hi Chris

You can use the stock +-12v psu to feed the DOS.

It will do wonders even with the 7812 7912 setup.... Of course it will improve with the Spowers that are perfect replacements there.

Best results happen using a separated PSU... if you can not place the tx inside, fix it in the outside back plate....:D

For the Spowers look here:

http://www.diyhi-fi.co.uk/

http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/regs.shtml

These sregs are really fast (Transients), can work without any output cap, can feed more than 5amps, and are totally silent.

Regards

Ricardo

HI All

Well Just replaced the Laser in the marants CD 67 with new one still no joy tray works fine still get disc error 02
IN test Mode P.00 /P01 Nothing P.02 spin up P.03 laser moves out checked laser is working but oddly some times when testing in P.02 P.03 disc swings back and forth switch off and retest disc spins up ok again anyone know whats wrong
Cheers

Joined 2006
Paid Member
colin.hepburn2 said:
HI All

Well Just replaced the Laser in the marants CD 67 with new one still no joy tray works fine still get disc error 02
IN test Mode P.00 /P01 Nothing P.02 spin up P.03 laser moves out checked laser is working but oddly some times when testing in P.02 P.03 disc swings back and forth switch off and retest disc spins up ok again anyone know whats wrong
Cheers

Look carefully at the white ribbon linking the mech pcb to the main pcb.

Looks like you have a bad contact there.

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Look carefully at the white ribbon linking the mech pcb to the main pcb.

Looks like you have a bad contact there.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo
Thanks for your Reply checked the ribbon and cleaned it looks ok cant check with meter dead battery still get disc P.01 laser moving up/down at edge of disc P.02 Raped spin up anticlockwise laser moving up/down P.03 same as P.02 but raped clicking do you still think it could be the ribbon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
colin.hepburn2 said:

Hi Ricardo
Thanks for your Reply checked the ribbon and cleaned it looks ok cant check with meter dead battery still get disc P.01 laser moving up/down at edge of disc P.02 Raped spin up anticlockwise laser moving up/down P.03 same as P.02 but raped clicking do you still think it could be the ribbon

Yes

This ribbon can cause a lot of errors.... :(

Read about in previous posts.....

Aside from the typical pad lifting, this is one of the main issues in this player.... be very carefull.. it can cause driver problems. :hot:

colin.hepburn2 said:

Hi Ricardo

Unfortunately, this ribbon can cause problems even if it meters out ok. Still, could be something else, I don't know.

Simon

SimontY said:

Unfortunately, this ribbon can cause problems even if it meters out OK. Still, could be something else, I don't know.

Simon
Disc spin half a revulsion right/left and some times anticlockwise when going though the tests-mode seems odd if ribbon checks out OK are you suggestion the possibility of a cracked of broken track under the ribbon connector s??

but don’t know I cant help thinking it’s a chip of some sort that’s gone but cant test for this no test gear to do that side of things
Colin:confused:

Hi Lads
Bingo working
Checked the ribbon from laser head so now working OK
OK so advice on first tweak steps pleas mute transistors to start with I guess then what as a first step and easy do tweaks want to do this a step at a time as its also a learning process for me not having dun this before so to keeping it simple to start with I know and have the upgrade list for this player anyone want too start a step by step list of tweaks

Thanks ALL
Colin
:smash: :D :D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
colin.hepburn2 said:
Hi Lads
Bingo working
Checked the ribbon from laser head so now working OK

Hi Colin

Good to know you sorted it out.

For starters, major results can be obtained by replacing the +5v 7805 regulator by a LM340AT.

Also, replace the rectifier diodes by some 11DQ10 schottky.

Remove the output caps.

Replace C505 by a 2n2 styroflex.

After this you should follow Ray´s list (first post).

Happy modding

:smash:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
colin.hepburn2 said:
Thanks RCruz
for the starter guideline's to modding this player is there away to disable this variable volume control don’t like this

Hi Colin

That might be quite difficult.

Leave it on full volume all the time and you will never notice it exists.

The mods I indicated will really make a big difference.

But remenber.... It is only the beguinning.

Ricardo