Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
DOS Results

After an initial burn in, I can already report some major improvements:

(*) -> improvement relative to opamp solution

Timbre (-) No noticeable timbre alterations.
Micro detail (****) Hidden detail is now very present
Dynamics (****) Loud and low passages are more distanced.
Treble (*****) Much more detail and fluidity, Less compression, better dynamics
Mid (*****) Believable female voices and piano.
Bass (****) Better dynamics
Stereo Image (*) Image is very stable with great focus but is constrained between the speakers (Miles away from my TT).

I am really impressed !!!

My CDP has finally reached the BIG status.:worship: :worship: :worship:

Ricardo

Excellent review Ricardo, if a little surprising in places.

In particular, I found the following striking improvements:

* Bass quality (juicy, punchy and tight)
* Dynamics, like a sledgehammer, or turntable
* Natural, less fatiguing presentation
* Better midrange
* Texture of instruments more lifelike

I didn't find there to be much more detail, but certainly a little more.

Generally, however, my findings agree with yours Ric. I suspect your and my player would sound rather similar if played back to back, so I know you have a high-end sound ;)

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Generally, however, my findings agree with yours Ric. I suspect your and my player would sound rather similar if played back to back, so I know you have a high-end sound ;)

Thank you Simon

I totally agree with your findings that I find very similar to myne.

The CDP now sounds really big. The only thing this player can not compete with the TT is the stereo image wich is much more wide and deep.

I believe the sound can now be considered high end.

Ricardo

RCruz said:
The CDP now sounds really big. The only thing this player can not compete with the TT is the stereo image wich is much more wide and deep.

Great results Ricardo!

Looks like you'll have to tweak some other components too :D. I can highly recommend to try a different interconnect. The chain is as strong as the weakest link, I think there could be something else that's holding it back. But the output caps are also very important and can take a few weeks to burn in. My BG-N slowly opened up, it took quite some time.

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

Looks like you'll have to tweak some other components too :D.

Thank you Ray

I believe this is a constant evolution subject.

I am using fine interconnects from Nordost....
When I first started modding this player, I noticed that improving the stock digital +5v produced big improvement in the sounstage...

Should a dedicated PSU on the decoder give me good improvements here ?

I believe if I get even more detail retrieval, I might be able to get a better soundstage.

By the way.... Your DOS is a masterpiece design.

Ricardo

RCruz said:
Should a dedicated PSU on the decoder give me good improvements here ?

You should know by now - every single circuit should have its own regulator. There should be at least two on the decoder chip, better if they're S Powers, better still if they're each powered by a separate PSU, better still if each PSU is powered by a discrete transformer winding, better still...... it goes on, until you reach Brent's player.

I'm not sure exactly which mods you've done already so it's hard to say which is the best choice next.

Can you summarise them in a quick bulleted list please?

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:
Can you summarise them in a quick bulleted list please?

Hi Simon

Here you have the list.... I will post an excel latter with all the mods.

DAC - 1 spower on analog + 1 srayreg on digital + double psu + independent TX winding for each.

DOS output with dedicated PSU
Servo chip - 2 x srayreg + double PSU + independent TX winding for each.

1 PSU + 1 DAC clock + 1 Servo clock (3 x Brent´s Magic)

Full Ray´s modds with chokes and ferrites in Drivers, Decoder, Computer and display chip.

The stock 7805 is now a 340AT feeding the decoder, HF and RF amp. This 340AT is followed by the famous BIG CAP arrangement :D (This still improves spatialitty, stage size and bass).

I want to loose this big cap....... but want to keep the spacious sound and big bass.

I am using Nordost Black Knight and they are really fast and informative.

Ricardo

Originally posted by RCruz (edited for clarity)

DAC ana - 1 spower + psu + tx winding
DAC digi - 1 srayreg + psu + tx winding

DOS - psu - S Power regs?
Servo - 2 x srayreg + 2x psu + 2x tx winding

DAC clock - S Power? + psu + tx?
Servo clock - S Power? + psu + tx?

Full Ray´s mods with chokes and ferrites in Drivers, Decoder, Computer and display chip.

The stock 7805 is now a 340AT feeding the decoder, HF and RF amp. This 340AT is followed by the famous BIG CAP arrangement :D (This still improves spatialitty, stage size and bass).

I want to loose this big cap....... but want to keep the spacious sound and big bass.

Ok, last thing first. When everything's on its own reg there comes an opportunity to retire the big cap and neaten things up there.

Secondly, regs around the DAC:

Add a 7805 or lower noise reg for XTAL REF pin. Small gain in detail, timing, treble, imaging etc.

DAC digi: swap ray-reg for S Power or Super Reg. Large gains, much more analogue! Here you will gain some of the imaging you desire.

DOS - is this on S Power? It sounds super-clean & detailed on S Powers.

Servo - mine are only on 7805, so you're ahead of me here. I don't know what gains you'd get on better regs, but it's one for near the end if you must. I'd leave it though.

DAC & servo clocks on S Powers - superb!

Full Ray's mods - ok, good.

Have you shielded the big logic chip? Might as well if not.

Have you upgraded the caps on the 3 driver chips? Might as well if not.

Have you swapped the 10uF cap on the transport/HF board with a quality cap? Same value, do it.

Decoder - this should be on two regulators. You will certainly hear gains even on individual 7805s. Get them off that main reg!

The last thing to do is the coax mod for a less rough or "digital" sound and smoother, more precise treble.

If you can find space for more transformers, that's good. A very tiny one will do for the decoder.

I assume you're already on good, hard feet and have damping material on the chassis. I don't know if you changed your RCAs but Lee can supply possibly the very best available - very thick silver plated pure copper CMC.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Add a 7805 or lower noise reg for XTAL REF pin. Small gain in detail, timing, treble, imaging etc.
Done !!
SimontY said:

DAC digi: swap ray-reg for S Power or Super Reg. Large gains, much more analogue! Here you will gain some of the imaging you desire.
TBD
SimontY said:

DOS - is this on S Power? It sounds super-clean & detailed on S Powers.
Done and you are quite right.
SimontY said:

Servo - mine are only on 7805, so you're ahead of me here. I don't know what gains you'd get on better regs, but it's one for near the end if you must. I'd leave it though.
this modd gave loads of detail and control.
SimontY said:

Have you shielded the big logic chip? Might as well if not.
TBD
SimontY said:

Have you upgraded the caps on the 3 driver chips? Might as well if not.
Done !
SimontY said:

Have you swapped the 10uF cap on the transport/HF board with a quality cap? Same value, do it.
TBD
SimontY said:

Decoder - this should be on two regulators. You will certainly hear gains even on individual 7805s. Get them off that main reg!

The last thing to do is the coax mod for a less rough or "digital" sound and smoother, more precise treble.

If you can find space for more transformers, that's good. A very tiny one will do for the decoder.
TBD
SimontY said:

I assume you're already on good, hard feet and have damping material on the chassis. I don't know if you changed your RCAs but Lee can supply possibly the very best available - very thick silver plated pure copper CMC.
Thank you Simon

I have silver RCA´s I got from Lee.

Looks I am in the right track here.... Lots of work.... so little time ;)

By the Way.... the sound is opening nicely.... More headroom, better overall definition and ultra bass.

Regards

Ricardo

Wow! This thread still moves fast doesn't it?

Ricardo, Simon's advice is good (as usual). I added a superreg to Servo Analogue and got small improvements in everything, particularly in the treble. More clarity, less tizz. Also a very small tx is fine for this as the current draw is small.

As for interconnects. I have tried a simple twisted pair of Mundorf wires with good phono plugs and found them to be good for the money. I have also tried two twisted Mundorf wires for signal with two solid 4-nines Silver wires twisted around them for gnd. This was a huge improvement.

I now plan to build one with four Mundorf Silver/Gold wires for signal twisted together, with four pure silver wires for gnd twisted together and these bundles then twisted lightly together, or braided if I can figure out how to do it. That should be uber.

Also playing with diy mains cables too with good results so far.

Regards, Lee.

Gosh Ricardo, you've done almost all the big things now! There's also the regulated motor driver voltages we've been talking about. Yet to do on mine hehe

Lee - good work on the cable research, I'm looking forward to hearing some of these creations :D

Who's coming to this ethereal nothern UK meet that's meant to be happening this month in Chesterfield??? A chance to hear my player at least, and maybe some of the others if anyone's interested.

Simon

RCruz said:

Hi Simon

I would love to attend... please post some more precise indications.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116880&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

To cut a long story short this is the 2nd DIY Audio UK meet, the first of which was held in the north of England, near me as it happens. This was scheduled to happen in the south but due to no leadership the southern one will have to wait and a very informal northern meet is on the cards for this month.

I hope a date can be set very soon now.

Simon

While we are slightly OT.

I have found my new toy - the Sabre DAC in TP's Buffalo implementation, with a TP IVY as I/V and a Squeezebox3 as transport.

This combo is just light years ahead of the 63.

So, I'll be lurking this threat, but my engagement with my 63 has cooled off.

Have a nice weekend, all of you.