Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 547 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2007, 08:09 AM   #5461
YoungSC is offline YoungSC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Went to a local electronics store caled Lanstaztic and the owner advised me to just add another 1N4148 in series with the existing one.

His opinion is that LED's put out too much noise.

I am getting 4.95V, so I will now start the production line.
Old 24th January 2007, 08:55 AM   #5462
Chivvyp is offline Chivvyp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton

As you rightly observe, most PCs output SPDIF.

So what would be needed is a SPDIF - I2C converter board .
Not a difficult proposition - Front half of an external DAC.

You could also build one with a USB connector.

I think that would be beyond the scope of this thread but would be of interest to many people.

Andy

Hi,

Looks like this will do the job if anyones interested.

http://www.diyparadise.com/usb.html

Regards

Pete
Old 24th January 2007, 11:22 AM   #5463
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by Chivvyp
Hi,

Regards

Pete
Wow, looks good. I wonder if they're still available!

Simon
Old 24th January 2007, 11:53 AM   #5464
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungSC
Went to a local electronics store caled Lanstaztic and the owner advised me to just add another 1N4148 in series with the existing one.

His opinion is that LED's put out too much noise.

I am getting 4.95V, so I will now start the production line.
Hi,
are you using a three diode string (2 red LEDs + 1n4148)?
to get 5.65V output?

If so, then removing the 1n4148 will give the correct voltage 1.8+1.8+1.25~=4.85V.

Check your output voltage into a variety of dummy loads from just below quiescent current to just above [maximum output current + quiescent current] to ensure the regulator is really regulating. Can you vary input voltage to check for variations on output?

The data I have seen is that LEDs are very quiet compared to other diode type voltage references, particularly Zeners, which are very noisy.
Old 24th January 2007, 05:28 PM   #5465
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chivvyp

Hi,

Regards

Pete
Im definitly interested! Ill email the guy that sells them and ask if they are still available. If not we will have to figure something else out. Is anyone else interested in this at all?? If we get some interest in it maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something Im very interested in using the cd67 as a stand alone DAC for my PC. Anyone know if you would still have to press play to get sound out of it if your not using the cd transport? Or does the play button just control the transport? Where would we hook up the I2s output in the cd67? Ill let you guys know what I find out.
thanks
Old 24th January 2007, 05:31 PM   #5466
diyAudio Member

Ok well I just checked the website an the USB converters are in stock for $30 USD. Im thinking of ordering one, but id like some input about this from the cd63/67 experts in here , Im a college student so money is tight and I dont wanna waste $30. So how bout it guys, will this work??
Old 24th January 2007, 10:43 PM   #5467
diyAudio Member

usb to spdif converter
this could also be modded to output i2s. It uses the Philips uda1321 usb dac chip which outputs i2s.

I also found this thread
usb->i2s->dac

seems other people have tried what we want to do, but i'm surprised with the amount of cd63/67s floating around that no one has tried converting it to a dac?? The only negative is that usb will only output 16/44 which isn't a problem for us since the cd63/67 only does 16/44. I guess I wont be able to play any of my 24/96 files with this setup, but I only have a few so its not a big deal. I'm willing to spend the $30 to try this, but ill need some help with how to hook it up and all that stuff.
happy listening!
Old 25th January 2007, 12:45 AM   #5468
diyAudio Member

Default Mmmm ... tubes ...

Sorry it's a bit OT, but here is my latest project. Not too shabby! Not near the detail and clarity of my CD63, but a pleasure to listen to thanks to the tube output stage!

Dynaco CDV-1 Modification
Old 26th January 2007, 07:20 AM   #5469
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by imperfectcircle
Ok well I just checked the website an the USB converters are in stock for $30 USD. Im thinking of ordering one, but id like some input about this from the cd63/67 experts in here , Im a college student so money is tight and I dont wanna waste $30. So how bout it guys, will this work??

You could also add a couple of gates to switch between the internal cdm and the external cd source.

Andy
Old 26th January 2007, 08:33 AM   #5470
YoungSC is offline YoungSC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT

Hi,
are you using a three diode string (2 red LEDs + 1n4148)?
to get 5.65V output?

If so, then removing the 1n4148 will give the correct voltage 1.8+1.8+1.25~=4.85V.

Check your output voltage into a variety of dummy loads from just below quiescent current to just above [maximum output current + quiescent current] to ensure the regulator is really regulating. Can you vary input voltage to check for variations on output?

The data I have seen is that LEDs are very quiet compared to other diode type voltage references, particularly Zeners, which are very noisy.
Hi Andrew,

I'm getting the same voltage from a 9V battery and a 12V AC/DC converter into a 470 ohm load.

You may be right about LED's being quiet. You would definitely know more about that than me. Ray's plans had Zener's so I thought I'd stick with that. The regs do look cool with LED's though

Simon

Hide this!Advertise here!