Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 539 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2007, 01:12 AM   #5381
jksmurf is offline jksmurf  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: coax

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c
Ok, some quick answers, cuz my dinner's almost ready...
Thanks for all those answers, gives me a bit of confidence! Hope you enjoyed your dinner!

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c BG's to C611...614, they beat the Cerafines! And to all of the DAC PSU pins (CD15/16, CD04/07). You don't need the extra PPS.
Cheers. OK, I have bought 4# 220u/16V and 5# 470u/16V.

* So C611~C614 for the 4# 220u/16V (or use 4# of the 5# the 470u/16V, although I thought conventional wisdom was for SMALL caps after the regs?)
* So CD15/CD16 for 2# of the 5# 470u/16V (Is 16V OK, the "list" says 470u/35v ELNA RJH)?
* Hmm CD04/CD07 will actually get Super-Raygulators ala the attachment to Post5237 (so no BGs on those).
* This leaves 3# 470u/16V. Wife has aleready put:
- 1# ELNA RJH 470u/16V in C871, but that's one option?
- 2# ELNA RJH 220u/25V at CD05/CD06 so that's another option?
* Good news on no PPS for the BG's.

Quote:
Yes, you could do that. But a nice low-ESR cap like Pana FC or Ruby ZL/ZA is better in that position. Or a BG .
Arghh, I feel I'm going down the slippery slope of the BG Route... :-)

Cheers again Ray,

k.
Old 13th January 2007, 02:27 AM   #5382
diyAudio Member

If you want the best then buy the best. BG really are the holy grail in these cd players on the dac decoder and servo rails

oh and op amp

Brent
Old 13th January 2007, 07:23 AM   #5383
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: coax

Wow Brent,

That was a posting-frenzy

Quote:
Originally posted by jksmurf
Thanks for all those answers, gives me a bit of confidence! Hope you enjoyed your dinner!

Cheers. OK, I have bought 4# 220u/16V and 5# 470u/16V.

* So C611~C614 for the 4# 220u/16V (or use 4# of the 5# the 470u/16V, although I thought conventional wisdom was for SMALL caps after the regs?)
* So CD15/CD16 for 2# of the 5# 470u/16V (Is 16V OK, the "list" says 470u/35v ELNA RJH)?
* Hmm CD04/CD07 will actually get Super-Raygulators ala the attachment to Post5237 (so no BGs on those).
* This leaves 3# 470u/16V. Wife has aleready put:
- 1# ELNA RJH 470u/16V in C871, but that's one option?
- 2# ELNA RJH 220u/25V at CD05/CD06 so that's another option?
* Good news on no PPS for the BG's.

Arghh, I feel I'm going down the slippery slope of the BG Route... :-)

Cheers again Ray,

k.
You are starting to get the hang of it...
The fact that you are going to use BG is already a good thing. So I don't think the difference will be big between a 220u or a 470u. But here's another proposal:

4x 470u/16V for C611...614: opamps
1x470u/16V for CD06: this DAC pin draws most current
1x 220u for CD05: the clock supply
2x 220u/16V for CD15/16: the 'analog' supply

Remember CD05/06 and 04/07 feed the same supply pins. Only CD05/06 are closer to the chip (the small ceramics used to be there), so use their position to mount the el-caps now. CD04/07 are no longer used.

Regards,

Ray
Old 13th January 2007, 07:49 AM   #5384
YoungSC is offline YoungSC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply Brent.
Old 13th January 2007, 08:10 AM   #5385
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Mornin'

As I have no answer, is it too far from CDP upgrade?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...37#post1105337
If someone is kind enough to answer as I am mounting my DIY cable...
Thanks
Old 13th January 2007, 02:06 PM   #5386
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Malefoda
Mornin'

As I have no answer, is it too far from CDP upgrade?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...37#post1105337
If someone is kind enough to answer as I am mounting my DIY cable...
Thanks
Hi Matthieu,

Sorry, missed that one...
The wiring of the tranny is ok. 2VA should do fine, i'm using 1,5VA and that works perfectly. For the diodes you can use 1A schottkys (like 11DQ10 or MBR1100) and that 1200u/35V ZL cap is perfect for the job after the rectifier. Then feed it to a 7818 and put a good 22...47u cap on the output and your Flea supply is finished .

Regards,

Ray
Old 13th January 2007, 06:23 PM   #5387
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister

I have to disagree . sorry!. Yes isolating all the dac and decoder supplies makes a huge diff. But giving them their own tx and regulation pushes it even further, more dynamics and smoother audio are the first things you notice with better resonance in the bass of natural instruments etc

Brent
Hi Brent - to clarify, I was saying that pre-regs may not make much of an improvement if you're feeding the reg(s) from it's own transformer (i.e., already clean feed). I wasn't saying the transformer would not give much of a gain.

The 2nd reg sets the supply impedance and will dominate the noise generated by the two regs themselves. I believe the pre-reg is only useful to isolate further from the raw supply if it is noisy. If this is from a separate tx and already clean then there is probably no advantage. That was what I was getting at.

If you still disagree - fine!
Old 13th January 2007, 06:55 PM   #5388
diyAudio Member

For pre-regs configured as a cascade ie two regs in series, I'd agree.

If you really want a boost from using two regs in series, the thing to do is to configure the first reg as a tracking pre-regulator. That is, not set up to maintain a regulated supply which the second reg is fed from, but rather, setup to maintain a constant voltage drop across the second reg.

This gives a quite noticeable (ie audible) improvement; effectively it relieves the second reg of all line regulation duties. Effectively it bootstraps the regulation - the second reg benefits from its own (low) output impedance. Try it!
Old 13th January 2007, 07:20 PM   #5389
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martin clark
For pre-regs configured as a cascade ie two regs in series, I'd agree.

If you really want a boost from using two regs in series, the thing to do is to configure the first reg as a tracking pre-regulator. That is, not set up to maintain a regulated supply which the second reg is fed from, but rather, setup to maintain a constant voltage drop across the second reg.

This gives a quite noticeable (ie audible) improvement; effectively it relieves the second reg of all line regulation duties. Effectively it bootstraps the regulation - the second reg benefits from its own (low) output impedance. Try it!
Interesting.... is that what the flea has?

As I have my 1st (8v) LM317 feeding two LM317s (5v) can I still do this?

They are physically not close to each other either.....
Old 13th January 2007, 07:32 PM   #5390
diyAudio Member

It's easier to rig up a 317 if it is physically close to the second reg, but you can do it simply by lifting the 0v end of the lower voltage set resistor and returning it to the output of the second reg. Replacing both the pre-regs voltage set resistors with 1k items will set the voltage across the second reg at 2.5v, quite enough for most purposes. Add the Cadj cap across the lower voltage-set resistor - it still makes an audible difference (or check it becomes connected between the 1st regs ADJ pin and teh OUTPUT of the second reg). That's all!

BTW the flea uses a capacitance multiplier to knock down ripple and noise (rolls off at 6db/octave above 3Hz) then uses a 7812 as a cheap CCS for a the voltage reference and to supply a regulated supply for the AD797 (as both error amp and output device). Not that the 797 really needs it, it has c.140dB of PSRR at DC... More on why this route was chosen here:
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/3pin_reg_notes2.html

HTH.

Hide this!Advertise here!