Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2006, 09:01 AM   #521
diyAudio Member

adfinni -

Run the clock off the +12v reg. Or ideally run it from a dedicated +12v super reg (which I have done).

And place the other two +/- 12v regs really close to the op amps.

All my bypassing is done with silver wire, not sure how much difference it would have made but I used it anyway

You are also better off getting 3 5V super regs too mate (if you have the cash). One for digital 5v one for analogue 5V and one for the clock reference 5v (DAC).
The standard 7805 can be left in to power the microprocessor.

It may sound a lot of work and money but I find it best to think ahead to the final goal mate. Also when you change the regs and isolate all the rails the caps will need upgrading at the relevent points to maximise the benefits.
Old 3rd February 2006, 09:33 AM   #522
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adfinni
Also, how do i power the superclock2 by using the voltage rails in the CD63 itself , but ideally how can i power it using another PSU, and what do i need.
Thanks again
Hi adfinni,

Do not, by any means, run the clock off the +12V!!!!

Shame on you Brent, thought you'd know better by now.
But besides this small glitch, his other tips can be trusted.

The +12V is used to feed the (analog...) opamps. You should tap power from C813, that powers
the digital +5V. A dedicated small PSU is even better.

You need our custom wound toroidal tranny

BTW, your non-silver solder will do fine.

Regards,

Ray.
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:47 AM   #523
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Looks like most of your questions were answered by the others, but I'll chip in too

Quote:
Originally posted by adfinni
Il look into getting some new feet asap, but do you have any recommendations for spikes before i do? 3 or 4 spikes ?
I use Russ Andrews Oak Cone Feet and they work an absolute treat - you'll get a more solid rhythmic sound, just as he says. You may find this solves the common problem of 'hi-fi' bass - it will become vastly more realistic. I've not compared with other cones e.g. al. Use three for obvious reasons. You should be using a rack too.

Quote:

Il try and get these caps removed asap, but what cable do you recommend i use to bridge the gaps, and would my non-silver antex solder be satisfactory (i may try to get some old lead solder off ebay)
Really the wire is the smallest change to sound, but as Rowe says you can use silver and be happy to have something fancy in there. If you want something sonically fairly benign though use a strand of CAT5 network cable. The old solder is easier to use, and the silver-loaded stuff is harder to use, as is leadfree. It's a bit cr@p in fact.

Quote:

Ok il probably go for the superclock 2, and audicom super-regs +5v, 12v, and -12v. Are these easier to fit into the player?
Also, how do i power the superclock2 by using the voltage rails in the CD63 itself , but ideally how can i power it using another PSU, and what do i need. I really don't want to spend a lot, and am not confident in making one unless im given guidance!!!
As Brent said, you can use the 12v but it won't sound anywhere near as good as it should. I don't think 5v is enough to power it. A better option could be the would-be '5v' line before it enters the regulator, what do we think about that?

If you want help building a psu I can help, as I am a beginner too, and I won't assume you know too much. I made a psu for my clock. Just needs a very small transformer, a bridge or some diodes, some caps and you're about there! It's not too hard to do.

Simon
Old 3rd February 2006, 10:59 AM   #524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
A better option could be the would-be '5v' line before it enters the regulator, what do we think about that?
That would be C813!

Sorry, couldn't resist....
Old 3rd February 2006, 11:34 AM   #525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c

That would be C813!

Sorry, couldn't resist....
Hehe, well I wasn't gonna start looking in the service manual, and I certainly can't remember part location numbers! At least it confirms what I thought!

edit: I think you threw me, Ray, when you said "digital 5v+", as there is only one 5v reg in a stock player I think.
Old 3rd February 2006, 01:17 PM   #526
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:

.............If you want help building a psu I can help, as I am a beginner too, and I won't assume you know too much. I made a psu for my clock. Just needs a very small transformer, a bridge or some diodes, some caps and you're about there! It's not too hard to do................

Simon

Hi Adfinni,

I bought a load of these PSUs of EBAY. They fit just nicely behind the display panel.

These are as basic as you need :- transformer, rectifier (yes-I know it's a cheap bridge!!), smoothing caps and regulator.
( I have to make a slight mod as these are set to 6v - I will be setting to 9v then using a super-reg to +5v )

Layout is not critical so perf-board will do, if you build one youself.

Maplin also sell a small board for an adjustable psu ( part no. VE58N )- just connect a small transformer ( eg Maplin part WB01B ) and set the volts to +5v.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic00537.jpg (16.7 KB, 904 views)
Old 3rd February 2006, 02:29 PM   #527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
I bought a load of these PSUs of EBAY. They fit just nicely behind the display panel.
Hi Andy, how much did you snuffle those little babies up for?

I Ebay...
Old 3rd February 2006, 02:30 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
edit: I think you threw me, Ray, when you said "digital 5v+", as there is only one 5v reg in a stock player I think.
/hehe, this time I got there first
Old 3rd February 2006, 02:32 PM   #529
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c

/hehe, this time I got there first
Old 3rd February 2006, 02:35 PM   #530
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:

Hi Andy, how much did you snuffle those little babies up for?

I Ebay...

Simon, got the sick bag ready????

I paid 15 for 10 inc. postage! HeHe

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!