Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
LM4562 sounds better with 15V? No problem in changing 12V Raygulators for Brent's Regs 15V?
Hi Matthieu

The solution for over heated +-12v rayregs is depicted below.

Nevertheless I still think more volt less heat is better so I just built a -15v rayreg using 13v zenners and a 1N4148.. The output is -15.28v...

Do you think I can use this voltage with 220uF BG 16v in the opamps ?

Note:
I believe I have the best CD53 on Earth.... and I did not fit the servo clock yet.....:angel:

Regards

Ricardo

Attachments

• mola metalica.jpg
    mola metalica.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 222
Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Ricardo the 16V black gate standards are usually ok running 15V. I have had no problems.

6h5c said:
I'm the BG torture champ:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1445461#post1445461

16V is 16V, right? :D
I'm too lazy to put 25V in...

Thank you gentlemen

While I wait for the discrete outputs (time + €€€) I will be using +-15v on the opamps with the 220uF 16v BG.

Should I expect the CDP to sound louder ?
Hope not because it is too loud right now.... I am using the preamp pot at 12 o´clock for maximum output.

I will report the results.

Note:
Ray I sent you an e-mail... did you receive it ?

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:
Hope not because it is too loud right now.... I am using the preamp pot at 12 o´clock for maximum output.

I will report the results.

Note:
Ray I sent you an e-mail... did you receive it ?

Regards

Ricardo

It's obvious: you have to mod your preamp :D. Or get rid of it completely and build a passive one, even better.

I must have missed your mail, probably got lost between the other ones...

Ray

Thomo said:

Or even better, build a discrete buffer-stage. I am testing one at the moment and it sounds a lot better than my Alps Black Beauty on it's own.

Lee.

Mmm, wonder what I'll be replacing my op-amp based pre with... I find passive can be a bit flat sounding, and op-amps add problems, so this discrete buffer idea is exciting.

Ricardo,

You could add an L-pad resistor network at your preamp's input for the CD player. Or if you're feeling brave you could try to reduce the gain of the circuit!

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Mmm, wonder what I'll be replacing my op-amp based pre with... I find passive can be a bit flat sounding, and op-amps add problems, so this discrete buffer idea is exciting.

Ricardo,

You could add an L-pad resistor network at your preamp's input for the CD player. Or if you're feeling brave you could try to reduce the gain of the circuit!

Hi Simon

As you know, I have a little problem related with breaking things while modding..:apathic:

My pre is an original Meridian 101 (pre opamp).

It is equiped with a wonderfull phono stage !!!

It is working wonderfully for +-30 years (and it plays everytime anybody is at home).

So I wonder what could happen if I broke it... No spares, no schematics.... right ?

I have been looking for a compatible power amp and can not decide due to the lack of info...

Nevertheless I will be following lee´s buffer stage closely.

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

It's obvious: you have to mod your preamp :D. Or get rid of it completely and build a passive one, even better.

I must have missed your mail, probably got lost between the other ones...

Hi Ray

I can get rid of my pre because I need the precious phono stage.

After looking at your work with amps, I sent you an e-mail asking your oppinion about the Meridian 101 pre and the possibility of upgrading the power amp.

I will send it again.

Thank you for all the help.

Ricardo

I emailed you Ricardo regarding those amps;)
I have a set of those here too and got good results from upgrading the caps in the psu and also the power amp.

Good News! My mate Hifi Dave came round the other day, and had a quick listen to my CD63. It's defo miles better than his cd67 which is well modded. With two clocks the cd63 sounds much more realistic, and detailed.

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
I emailed you Ricardo regarding those amps;)
I have a set of those here too and got good results from upgrading the caps in the psu and also the power amp.

Good News! My mate Hifi Dave came round the other day, and had a quick listen to my CD63. It's defo miles better than his cd67 which is well modded. With two clocks the cd63 sounds much more realistic, and detailed.

Hi Lee

I read your e-mail and was very informative... When I open the psu, I will surely report to you.

Do you want to part with yours ?:devilr:

I would really like to try the option of two psu with my actual power amp... Meridian informs it as a stock upgrade..

Note:
Obvioulsy not as good as yours but my CD53 is unbeliaveble good sounding now.

I believe when I install the servo clock it will become a true high end machine.

Regards

Ricardo