Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 508 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2006, 06:18 PM   #5071
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by avr300

The very Santa version. Lets see if I remember. It's 2740 posts ago!

The one at left supplies the pins 17,22 and 26 of the DAC, the analog 5V. You can do this by removing the wirelink and inject your clean 5V like this.
And it is, of cause, pin 17,21,22 and 26. I'm sorry.

Quoting myself
Old 15th December 2006, 07:30 PM   #5072
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
I built one of these for my cd player.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ttse.html

cant hear no difference. Ive changed, caps, resistors, speaker cables, op amps, dampening blah blah. They all brought about changes in sound some more subtle than others, but the mains cable made no difference. I have tried various times with friends too and nada.
Any one else had this experience?
Old 15th December 2006, 08:13 PM   #5073
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Why should it?

If you look at it logically, how can the last few feeds in a multible mile long wire suddenly change everything?

Don't flame me, I just stand on my right to be sceptic.
Old 15th December 2006, 08:59 PM   #5074
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Why should it?

If you look at it logically, how can the last few feeds in a multible mile long wire suddenly change everything?

Don't flame me, I just stand on my right to be sceptic.
Because it lowers the impedance a lot. Same as cleaning the pins can have an effect on the sound. Brent has measured the loop resistance of various power leads and the difference the "last few feet" (with good plugs) makes is pretty significant, numerically. You can also keep more RFI out and if it's shielded prevent leakage of a field into interconnects etc.

Don't expect miracles, especially if you are a very casual listener, and don't know your own sound well.

I heard a marked change using a nice Ebay lead on my CD63, a small change using a Russ Andrews Classic on my power amp, and virtually no change using an Ebay lead on my preamp (maybe because it has a mains filter inside, who knows).

Simon
Old 15th December 2006, 09:05 PM   #5075
diyAudio Member

avr, you may be right, in a poor mains supply such as a standard ring main, the copper conductors pick up all manner of noises and transients. Combine that with a less than good earth, then it becomes difficult for a mains lead to recover anything from the supply. Hence, you hear nothing.

In a mains supply system, such as a single run from the consumer unit, minimal mains connections, good quality measured earth, polished mains connections for instance, then consider this............the mains feed is now low noise, and a little purer sinusoidaly than the ring main (maybe), then it is possible that a decent sheilded mains lead may just prevent that little bit of interference from the rest of the house wiring entering the cable and ending up at the source or amplifier?

I am pretty sceptical myself, however, i have something like 4 metres of sheilded (main earth end only) 3.5mm2 silver plated mains cable with large ferrites at the outlet end, a polished MK socket also. My mains leads i made also, cheaply, all polished connections on MK plugs. The fuse is a polished 13amp. cables fit into iec standard sockets again polished. But i also run a large mains filter just for good measure lol, but thats just incidental.

I can hear a slight difference, but i reckon its the decent mains feed thats doing it, thats your first job to be done, get the mains feed right first. Dont skimp on it, splash out.

There is lots to consider on mains supplies such as power factor, impedance, influencing interference, the quality of the feed to the home, earth impedence in the ground, then the mains sinewave itself.
Old 15th December 2006, 09:07 PM   #5076
diyAudio Member

I don't think we should discuss mains feeds too much. We mostly already have made our minds up. Let's talk about CD63s and CD67s.
Old 15th December 2006, 09:09 PM   #5077
diyAudio Member

Your right simon, lol, i watched your post come up while i was doin mine lol.

I like my mains thats all i can say, mine works nice on the CD63. The source is the most important thing.
Old 15th December 2006, 09:11 PM   #5078
diyAudio Member

Old 15th December 2006, 09:50 PM   #5079
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg3333
On a slightly related note, way back near the beginning of this thread there was some talk of tweaking the steps of the display dimmer so that the lowest setting turned it fully off.

Did anything ever come of this?
Up

And also, where to get the power supply for the Flea? Martin's got one PCB for me
Old 15th December 2006, 11:00 PM   #5080
jksmurf is offline jksmurf  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The very Santa version. Lets see if I remember. It's 2740 posts ago! The one at left supplies the pins 17,22 and 26 of the DAC, the analog 5V. You can do this by removing the wirelink and inject your clean 5V like this.
Quote:
The right one is feeding pin27 af the DAC, 5V clock supply. You can do this by removing RD01 and inject the 5V as shown.
The one in the middle is the clock.
Quote:
And it is, of cause, pin 17,21,22 and 26. I'm sorry.
Quoting myself
LOL,

Tak Tak! Thanks AVR, appreciate the close-ups and the "good oil" info.

k.

Hide this!Advertise here!