Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

martin clark said:
Before unsoldering anything just check your clock connections if you are using one. The disc motor spinning up out of control is usually a sign that the decoder (SAA--- chip) is not getting the clock signal (so motor output drifts to one pole or another) or the clock is starting up late (slow ramp-up on power supply is frequent suspect), with the same effect.

The clock need to start up early after switch on to avoid this - so massive filtering /long time constants in its supply can cause problems, too.

HTH.

No external clock. I just did the Part 1 and 2 mods from Acoustica.org and upgraded the op-amps in the output section.

I've checked the voltages all around the chip in question and found correct voltage on one the feed side of the various resistors leading in, then found crazy opposite voltage on the other side. Like I said, something is bringing down the voltage on the other side of that chip, I'm assuming its a short through the IC. I'll try removing the chip and testing the rails, but I'm 90% sure this is the problem.

Guys I have one MarantZ CD65,but I can`t find any good for this model.May be my MarantZ is any Philips model?
Will be great if anyone can help me with any modifications for the CD65 because I can`t read more then 42 pages from this very big thread.
And what is the problem with the firmware updates.I have one Onkyo CD Player and with the last firmware my first CD-Player can read a MP3 files from CD Disk.If anyone can help with any source for the Marantz firmwares will be great for the thread,because google.com can`t help me for this big question? :smash:

Attachments

• sm5872bs.jpg
    sm5872bs.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 523
ZuMbAiU said:
---Guys I have one MarantZ CD65,but I can`t find any good for this model.May be my MarantZ is any Philips model?
Will be great if anyone can help me with any modifications for the CD65 because I can`t read more then 42 pages from this very big thread.---

Hi ZuMbAiU,

The CD65 uses the TDA1541 DAC according to my info, and that's a good one!
I don't know the rest of the player, but if it is well built it could be worth tweaking it. I'm afraid you'll have to start reading this thread for a general idea on modding, unless you find another one concerning this model :D.
A lot of things discussed here apply to players in general. If you have specific questions i'm sure there will be someone around to help you, especially if you have a schematic.

Regards,

Ray.

ZuMbAiU said:
Guys I have one MarantZ CD65,but I can`t find any good for this model.May be my MarantZ is any Philips model?
Will be great if anyone can help me with any modifications for the CD65 because I can`t read more then 42 pages from this very big thread.
And what is the problem with the firmware updates.I have one Onkyo CD Player and with the last firmware my first CD-Player can read a MP3 files from CD Disk.If anyone can help with any source for the Marantz firmwares will be great for the thread,because google.com can`t help me for this big question? :smash:

Most of the parts are Phillips. There are no firmware updates for this CD. In fact, I've never seen a firmware update for a CD player. Only DVD players and/or SACD players. It will never play MP3s.

ZuMbAiU said:

there are post with like this that will give same chipsets used as yours
find similar chipset and search for those players
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=797190&highlight=#post797190

or search on tda1541 dac
some marantz and philips players rebadged
hope this helps

allan

Thank you guys for your quick response;
C801/802, C811/812 again: Can i use 0,1uF there or would that be too much (want to use Black Gates again...); are those caps connected to the diodes somehow? Couldn't figure it out for sure...
Looking at the pcb, i realized that in the output-section several parts were implemented in series: coupling-caps (2x 220uF), output resistors 2 x 100 ohm. Any idea why the developers of the CD67 would do this?

A big problem on my CD67 is the tranformer, buzzing and vibrating like an electric razor...makes me afraid it might jump off my rack....
No, its really annoying; think i have to swap it soon. What exact voltages do i need there?

I also have an old L-Clock XO left from my rega cd-player, the frequencies fit; the problem is how to install it, don't have a clue...could need your help here as well...

Sorry, lot of questions i know...but my knowledge of electronics is rather limited...

Re: Re: Class A op-amps

rowemeister said:

Andy do you have a nice circuit diagram for us to look at?

No pressure :D

No sorry - I don't but see Ray's post below.

philpoole said:
I've heard mixed comments on biasing opamps into class A. Some say that it shouldn't make any difference either because they're pretty much in class A anyway due to the low levels involved (we're not swinging between power rails here), or that the crossover distortion is minimised due to the feedback involved.
Likewise, others seem to swear by it.

Definitely one to investigate.

Cheers,
Phil

Well, maybe some say it SHOULDN'T make a difference but all the reports I have read from people who have tried it have been very positive!!!!
OP amp outputs are seldom in class A even if they are used at low levels and RELY on high open loop gain and feedback to LOWER not MINIMISE crossover distortion.

Applying a fixed drain (source?) current to force the NPN output transistors into Class A does not minimise crossover distortion but eliminates it completely!!

6h5c said:

Hi guys,

Do you know this one?

Regards,

Ray.

Yes, Ray. When I posted this query originally some time ago, it was after reading this article. I still have not got round to trying it though!

Andy

Guys ,10 years I work with PC hardware.I know that all CD-Roms and CD Players have firmware.Why the peoples in the DIY CD-Player thread can think for a new firmware for the DIY Player with MP3 ? Why any people in this thread can`t work for any firmware with MP3 support for the Marantz CD6x series?
How I can mod my CD65,because I know that my player isn`t the perfect player?If any can help for the CD65 will be great:smash:

mickie said:
---C801/802, C811/812 again: Can i use 0,1uF there or would that be too much (want to use Black Gates again...); are those caps connected to the diodes somehow?---

Hi Mickie,

100n/0,1uF ceramics or MKT will do fine (Black Gates??). These caps are indeed coupled to the input side of the rectifier bridge that is made up of two or four diodes.

Looking at the pcb, i realized that in the output-section several parts were implemented in series: coupling-caps (2x 220uF), output resistors 2 x 100 ohm. Any idea why the developers of the CD67 would do this?

The electrolytic output caps are connected in series back-to-back, to create some non-polar configuration. However, since most amps or pre-amps also have caps at the input, you can take them out and jumper them. The 100R resistors are there to prevent the output being shorted to ground by the muting transistors. If you take out QN05...08 you can jumper one of them and lower the other to 47...10R.

A big problem on my CD67 is the transformer, buzzing and vibrating like an electric razor...makes me afraid it might jump off my rack.... No, its really annoying; think i have to swap it soon. What exact voltages do i need there?

A trick I used once was sticking a fine toothpick in the core to silence it and then break it off once it was in place :)

I also have an old L-Clock XO left from my rega cd-player, the frequencies fit; the problem is how to install it, don't have a clue...could need your help here as well...

Do you know what power supply this clock needs? If it's 12V, you can tap power in the player from C813, there's about 11VDC there, should work fine. You can connect the clock's + to U268 (the plus of C813), and the GND to U267 (the minus of C813). See picture. But the best solution is to use a separate power supply with a small PCB transformer and a regulator.
You can connect the clock's output signal to the player by removing CD02, CD03, XD01, RD02 and U209. Connect the output of the clock to the hole of U209 that's next to CD05.
If you drop me an e-mail I can send you the CD67 schematics if you like. That might enlighten things a bit.

Sorry, lot of questions i know...but my knowledge of electronics is rather limited...

No problem! Glad to be of help.

Regards,

Ray.

Attachments

• cd67_clock_psu.jpg
    cd67_clock_psu.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 619
ZuMbAiU said:
Guys ,10 years I work with PC hardware.I know that all CD-Roms and CD Players have firmware.Why the peoples in the DIY CD-Player thread can think for a new firmware for the DIY Player with MP3 ? Why any people in this thread can`t work for any firmware with MP3 support for the Marantz CD6x series?
How I can mod my CD65,because I know that my player isn`t the perfect player?If any can help for the CD65 will be great:smash:

Hi.

You really need to look on threads relating to the TDA1541 and TDA1541A. There are many mods posted for this DAC.

Otherwise, start a new thread dealing with firmware updates.

Andy

ZuMbAiU said:
Guys ,10 years I work with PC hardware.I know that all CD-Roms and CD Players have firmware. Why the peoples in the DIY CD-Player thread can think for a new firmware for the DIY Player with MP3 ? Why any people in this thread can`t work for any firmware with MP3 support for the Marantz CD6x series?
How I can mod my CD65, because I know that my player isn`t the perfect player?If any can help for the CD65 will be great:smash:

Hi ZuMbAiU,

Audio-CD players also have software, that's correct, but the problem is: they don't have flash ROM's! So it's not possible to upgrade the uC software, unless you are able to write, compile and program a MN187164 controller :bigeyes:
Besides, most guys here are in the audiophile section, so we don't like MP3's :D

Regards,

Ray.

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about pwm signals, and pdm signals ?

A pwm signal comes out the Marantz dac....

Is this pwm signal at 44.1khz or is it higher ?

Does the 1st stage after the dac just generate a voltage from the difference in the +/- left/right output ? (still 0/1 pulse)

..and the low pass filter turns the pulse into audio ?