Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

OK thank you for your answer... I'm presently using my MacBook Pro as a player either for ripped audio, CD or radio stations on web. The improvement in audio quality is just incredible ! The Apple CoreAudio is simply unbelievable and light-years above most so-called High End players...

Finally, I'm not really motivated to invest time and money in this old CDR 620 recorder/player, even it was a very expensive unit : the launching price was more than 3000 Euros...

All the best,

OndesX

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Ricardo, the output pin of the reg should connect to u199. The easy way is to bend the leg and just solder straight onto u199.

U200 should be cut/removed as this originally supplies u199 with 5v.

Hi Lee

I will remove U199 and replace it with a small pcb with two pins.

Both pins will connect to the sreg output of course.

This small pcb wil have the sreg + output cap..... 220uF BG or 470uF BG.... I did not make my mind yet.

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Hi Brent

I was thinking about 1 x 470uF BG on the spower output as I already have 2 x 2200uF Rubycon MCZ on CD15 and CD16...

Is 470 enough ?

More than that will cause placement problems.

Ricardo

I'd have thought you could use even less as you're only powering one little circuit. It will still work and sound great. Quality over quantity!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Really joyfull

rowemeister said:
I assumed Ricardo was fitting the BG to CD15 CD16.

Personally I would remove the MCZ and replace with 2x 470uF (2x 220uF minimum)

Hi Brent

Just replaced my old home made sreg by the Spower with 1x 470uF BG on the output.

The Spower is now replacing U199 in a dedicated small pcb.

Power comes from U161 "output of C813" and ground to Floating Star Earth.
This modd gives improvements in overall fluidity of the sound. I noticed enormous improvements in the bass integration and inteligibility , less harshness/stridency in the high frequencies.

Due to lack of space I left the 2200uF 6.3v MCZ in place (These Rubycons look identical to 220uF BG in size, colour and lettering.... amazing :yummy: )

Next I will build a dedicated psu.... should a 15VA 9v TX be enough?

Regards

Ricardo

Attachments

• p1010010 (small).jpg
    p1010010 (small).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 295
ondesx said:
OK thank you for your answer... I'm presently using my MacBook Pro as a player either for ripped audio, CD or radio stations on web. The improvement in audio quality is just incredible ! The Apple CoreAudio is simply unbelievable and light-years above most so-called High End players...

Finally, I'm not really motivated to invest time and money in this old CDR 620 recorder/player, even it was a very expensive unit : the launching price was more than 3000 Euros...

All the best,

OndesX

Hi,
Mirabelles and Paté Lorraine....I can't wait to come back
Thanks
Gareth

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Hi Ricardo. From what I've read and experienced whilst building 317 based regs it is best not to use a low esr cap on the adjust pin. Something with a higher esr is better I think. The Pana fc's are very low esr, I usually use just a standard 220uF elco.

edit: Although in my opinion, it's doubtful you will hear much if any difference in the sound.

Hi Lee

I am now building a 317 based reg for the dac digital +5v supply.

I will use a capacitor multiplier before the reg with a BC550C.

For this capacitor multiplier I wonder if I can benefit by using one 220uF BGstd ?

Or should I use a normal 120uF Pana FC in this place and save the BG for the output ?

Regards

Ricardo

Re: Re: A minor update

RCruz said:

Mmmmmm!!

Good looking indeed... are those as good as the 1841 MKP´s ?

Thomo said:
Avr300, nice tidy work there. Neatness is something I am now trying to improve as my previous efforts were anything but tidy, lol.

Lee.

I think these event sounds better.

Tnx, I can't stand it if it's looking like s... :D

Anyone else care for separating the analog and digital ground. You have to have enough PSU's to do it. I really think this has pushed the envelope....

Re: Re: Re: A minor update

avr300 said:

Anyone else care for separating the analog and digital ground. You have to have enough PSU's to do it. I really think this has pushed the envelope....

Hmm. Well, I'm just building all my cd67 mods into a cd63. The perfect time to be experimenting I think. Could you post a few more details about what you have done? or is it all on here already?

Cheers, Lee.