Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 493 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2006, 03:01 PM   #4921
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister
Rowegulators LOL

I'll post the specs soon. Just a few details I need to check up on.

Brent
Hey Brent,

Nice work, i'll volunteer to test them on my new output stage PCB .

Ray
Old 1st December 2006, 03:06 PM   #4922
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn2
Hi chaps,

I put a common-mode choke in my CD67se (in the spot designed for it) but it seems to have sucked a bit of life from the sound.

I used the Panny part from Farnell (from Ray's list as I knew it would fit).

Do they burn in?

Am I hearing the effect of increased mains impedance?
You probably are hearing said effects. I use an isolation transformer and I don't mind what it does, I positively like it! But I did draw the line at using one for my power amp. The effect there is to improve smoothness and make the image more realistic....but it really is at the expense of bass impact (and this was a 2kva beast).

I somehow doubt there'll be any burn in effect, but when i disturb my system and turn it on again, it doesn't sound its best for a day or so...
Old 1st December 2006, 03:12 PM   #4923
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi chaps,

I put a common-mode choke in my CD67se (in the spot designed for it) but it seems to have sucked a bit of life from the sound.
If you don't like it: take it out! That's the beauty of DIY .
BTW, did you do a double blind A-B test .

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY

Happy to hear it Ray! I didn't think for a moment you'd suffer much inadequacy in your sound

My experience gave me mixed feelings and I wouldn't say I'd never go back and try things at least once more before closing the door on such an idea. The sound I got wasn't gutsy enough, it didn't have the dynamic grip and vigour I was after. It was, however, very fluid and detailed, with very low grain. The quality getting better yet worse was very obvious in adding a preamp to the signal path. The next step is to reduce the impact of this as much as possible (low gain, good op-amp, good wiring, single stage etc.)

My interconnect was the Kimber Crystal Cu, an expensive wire.

My power amp was and is DIY using the National LM3886 non inverted with a gain of 34.
Hmm, very frustrating indeed, having to choose between two types of sound that both have positive and negative aspects. The trick is to unite the positive parts. Your cable is a good one, but if you have the opportunity to hear something else you should give it a try. Your system changes, so it could be a better match is possible.

Ray
Old 1st December 2006, 03:14 PM   #4924
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You probably are hearing said effects. I use an isolation transformer and I don't mind what it does, I positively like it! But I did draw the line at using one for my power amp. The effect there is to improve smoothness and make the image more realistic....but it really is at the expensive of bass impact (and this was a 2kva beast).

I somehow doubt there'll be any burn in effect, but when i disturb my system and turn it on again, it doesn't sound its best for a day or so...

Cheers Simon. Sometimes a smoother sound can appear less impactful... if you know what I mean. So I'm not sure yet if what's missing is supposed to be there!

I'll give it a good old listen over the weekend and then try jumpering it out again.

Will it sound good with a hangover anyway?

Oh, and good work on those regs Brent.

I was thinking about getting some of those Eddie Wang 317/337 pcbs but the site is in Chinese.
Old 1st December 2006, 03:26 PM   #4925
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Sometimes a smoother sound can appear less impactful... if you know what I mean. So I'm not sure yet if what's missing is supposed to be there!

I'll give it a good old listen over the weekend and then try jumpering it out again.

Will it sound good with a hangover anyway?
Yes, smoother can be less impactful, I have found this with various mods. Often smoothness and lack of potentially false dynamic impact is a sign of reduced distortion, so the wise people say...

Good with a hangover? Yes! I love listening really really loud with a hangover. No edginess when your hearing is blunted from a club sound system the night before. You can just relax and be blasted by the loudness of it.
Old 1st December 2006, 03:40 PM   #4926
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good with a hangover? Yes! I love listening really really loud with a hangover. No edginess when your hearing is blunted from a club sound system the night before. You can just relax and be blasted by the loudness of it.

Old 1st December 2006, 06:34 PM   #4927
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Hi,
just a remark to tell to people with clamping problems that the chinese 1 Yuan coin fits perfectly or a bit tight the center of the upper clamp.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd December 2006, 12:12 AM   #4928
jksmurf is offline jksmurf  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Malefoda
Hi,
just a remark to tell to people with clamping problems that the chinese 1 Yuan coin fits perfectly or a bit tight the center of the upper clamp.
That's good news for me, the HK 1$ is identical in size. Tell you what, if you send me your CD67SE/CD63SE or CD6000SE tranny, I'll send you HK$1 !!. I might even throw in another one for free...

k.
Old 2nd December 2006, 06:28 AM   #4929
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Default cd6000 skipping

Hi Andy,

I had a good look and did what you suggest. Degreasing did nothing and I resoldered the HF connector (thats the white plastic ribbon connector) any continuity test is quite good.
I Dont want to touch my cd67 cos Ive neverdone lasers so i dont want to risk loosing both players. Do you know what laser I need and are there any good places to buy these things online?

cheers Arthur
Old 2nd December 2006, 08:18 AM   #4930
diyAudio Member

Default marantz cd 63

has any body made a power suppy just to run the 2 opapmps and disabled the the hadcam

Hide this!Advertise here!