Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Ricardo,

what do you mean with veryfying the ribbon ? Did you have any short circuit there ? What I did some time ago , I just took the ribbon outside and measured resistance between each consecutive pair or lines. No shorts there, is there any other pitfall I should check ?

Greetings,
Pawel

Joined 2006
Paid Member
pzogal said:
Hi Ricardo,

what do you mean with veryfying the ribbon ? Did you have any short circuit there ? What I did some time ago , I just took the ribbon outside and measured resistance between each consecutive pair or lines. No shorts there, is there any other pitfall I should check ?

Greetings,
Hi Pawel

Most of the time the problems related with focus and radial are due to bad contacts in that ribbon.

The ribbon sockets are not made to be plugged and unplugged frequently so, everytime you disconnect the ribbon, you create more slack.

The best way should be removing this ribbon and replace it by another without any socket.

The wires should be soldered in place of the sockets.

I must do it but am not sure the best AWG to use.The ribbon I have is 24AWG and it seems to be too thin :xeye:

Regards

Ricardo

SimontY said:

Nope! Perhaps you're viewing a locally-cached version :santa:

Must be! I'm working from home but via VPN to the office and their p(r)oxy server. Attached is me typing this!

Attachments

• diya.jpg
    diya.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 280
rowemeister said:

LMAO

Well if we are talking about rebuilds Simon is on his 3rd board :D

Me.... well still the original ;)

Brent

Ditto, seems I'm not the DESTRUCTOR I was made out to be :D

Looking at a few tweaks to implement, mainly new RCAs, silver wiring, and some BG's. I see thomo is the man to sort out BGs, will go get brents list again and see where I should put them. Mainly looking at putting a cheeky few or so in around the 4562 op-amps.

P.s. if you haven't got the Goldfrapp album 'Supernature', then get it ! Sounds simply amazing, one of my favourite sounding cds. Im glad im finally listening to music and not posting on here all the time looking for my next mod.

But the best upgrade was easily the lyngdorf, it really showed how dark, slow, and muddy sounding my arcam delta 290 was. Everything is soo open and gorgeous now, I can't help but get a massive grin evertime I put a good CD on.

Then I put linkin park on and it sounds like it was recorded in a brothels bathroom ;)

adfinni said:

Looking at a few tweaks to implement, mainly new RCAs, silver wiring, and some BG's. I see thomo is the man to sort out BGs, will go get brents list again and see where I should put them. Mainly looking at putting a cheeky few or so in around the 4562 op-amps.

Im glad im finally listening to music and not posting on here all the time looking for my next mod.

Certainly am.

Gonna be getting some 1000uF FK's to go on the dac analog soon. Maybe a little tweak.

I've pretty much done all I can until I can afford some new regs. It's great to be able to relax and enjoy cd's without that 'orrible "digital" sound. I just did the coax mod yesterday and that improved things a bit more, seems to have cleaned up the sound a little.

Pics here

Most of those wires are gnd going to star-ground, btw.

Cheers, Lee.

Thomo said:

Certainly am.

Gonna be getting some 1000uF FK's to go on the dac analog soon. Maybe a little tweak.

I've pretty much done all I can until I can afford some new regs. It's great to be able to relax and enjoy cd's without that 'orrible "digital" sound. I just did the coax mod yesterday and that improved things a bit more, seems to have cleaned up the sound a little.

Pics here

Cheers, Lee.

Loving the pictures, your player looks bonkers inside. I wouldn't attempt teh coax mod again as it screwed one of my players up badly even though Im sooo sure it was done perfectly. Think I might have bent theboard too much in that one.

SimontY said:

Hi Adam!

Before that last comment I thought you'd not got a neutral sound at all lol. Most CDs should show some flaws.

The only ones that are allowed to sound good are by Clapton, Krall, Straits, any XRCDs and one or two others :D

Simon

Heya

I have plenty of cd's that show flaws, and they can really add to the character, butthen there are others which just sound horrible, mainly linking park and coors talk on corners.

Clapton unplugged, and krall sound amazing, and the copy of straits does as well. I just love the way a good system can make even electronica sound dry and natural, gotta be the ATCs fault. Love them more than my gf, because even when spewing **** a quick change of disk ca make them purr again

:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

Certainly am.

Pics here

Loved your pics Lee.

Inspiring... must do a coax mod myself.

Since my last modd I have been only listening to music... I am relaxing before I have another go.

Ricardo

Listening to the music is what it's all about. I think it's easy to forget that and keep listening to the mods and changes.

The coax is worthwhile, but not vital to fantastic sound, excellent regs and clocks are far more important.

It's still spaghetti wiring in my player, but each time i add/change a reg, the corresponding wires get sorted too.

I'm thinking of using the spare winding off the original tx that used to be for output stage for powering the decoder and fully splitting it from the dac.

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Listening to the music is what it's all about. I think it's easy to forget that and keep listening to the mods and changes.

I'm thinking of using the spare winding off the original tx that used to be for output stage for powering the decoder and fully splitting it from the dac.

Hi Lee

I think I´m a bit of a musicaholic.... I am always hearing music..;)

I already have €€€ for an Spower reg that I intend to place in dac analog..... I thought about using the unused output stage stock tx windings to power the sreg on the dac.

Please explain what you mean by "powering the decoder and fully splitting it from the dac".

Regards

Ricardo