Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
mauropenasa said:

The result is a very precise and "natural sound" (because lack the IMD precisely....)
I believe that this is the most serious problem of CD63 MKII Kis, most serious that Jiitter and group delay ....
Hi Mauro

Just finished the 330pF mod and know what ?? :D :D :D GRIN

Everything came into place and I can hear music again.

Thank you for your excelent work. !!!

Now I need a little more pace.... Maybe a clock on the servo ?

Regards

Ricardo

Re: Mauro's mod

jimh0612 said:
Is Mauro's mod intended to be done instead of the Bessel filter mods or as well as?

JIm

No, the 330 pF caps must be installed in the original filter.
And the results is very different from bessel filter, as Mauro did explained above.
Ricardo: it's old, but now you could make this tweak (imho).
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/
Solder the clock on patterns side, and solder the metal can of XO to ground plane.
And put a separate regulator in place of cd04+ for XO.
You could use a lm317, for 5V, with in series output a 10 ohm resistor.
Common soldered on pcb gnd plane.
Ciao

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Mauro's mod

rowemeister said:

Or save a few $$$ use a divide-by-2 pcb on the servo. Connect this to your current clock and it divides the 16.9MHz by 2 down to 8.46MHz. A dedicated clock is a little bit better but its also alot more expensive.
Thank you Brent

I believe this is the best option... I will be talking to you latter by e-mail.

riccardo said:

Ricardo: it's old, but now you could make this tweak (imho).
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/
Solder the clock on patterns side, and solder the metal can of XO to ground plane.
And put a separate regulator in place of cd04+ for XO.
You could use a lm317, for 5V, with in series output a 10 ohm resistor.
Common soldered on pcb gnd plane.

Thank you Riccardo.. I already have been studiyng this mod but it seems very complicated to me (it involves messing with very sensitive parts and very small ones "SMD".... I am not that good and I can not afford to mess up)

But before I go any of these ways I need a very important advise:

I did the Mauro´s mod with 330pF Polystyrenes.

At the same time (because the modded CD53 is now a bit hard to open "dismantle" any time I need to do a new mod), I replaced the stock ceramic filter caps with 1% silver micas keeping the exact values:
CD21 22 23 24 120p Silver Mica
C601 602 603 604 120p Silver Mica
C607 608 100p Silver Mica

And finally I replaced the opamp output resistors from 47k carbon to a 47k welwin metal film.

The gains in imagery, stage width, instrument defenition and female voice credibility where substantial.

Finally the player seems to be able to play tunes like a normal turntable but I notice a big annoying difference that is always inducing me to lower the volume:

After this mod, I got an annoying presence in the medium to high frequencies so that if a singer shouts, the sound becomes too screetchy.

The voices and instruments are very well defined, articulated and perfectly placed in the stereo picture but I also get this proeminence in the high frequencies that makes string guittars (Steve Vay) to be too nasty and screaming voices (Led Zeppelin) to be almost unbearable.

I would like your comments on the possible causes:
The micas in the filter ?
The metal film resistor in the output of the LM4562NA ?

Or is this due to the better performance now obtained from the opamps ?

Best regards

Ricardo