Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2006, 03:46 PM   #441
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your answer. I'm thinking about getting one. I'm starting to lose interest in my idea of an external psu - too messy. I'd rather use just one main box for now...

Have a good weekend
Old 28th January 2006, 11:28 AM   #442
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michi124
It's the other way around, sorry...

23,90 - 24,50 ea. for 20 pieces
26,00 - 27,05 ea. for 10 pieces

What do you think?
Is the quote from Amplimo in already?
Hi guys,

Been out for a few days....

Michael, I think it's a VERY good price . I don't think Amplimo will touch that. I haven't heard anything from them yet (?), so I doubt if they are even interested in small quantities. The potted centre is perfect for easy mounting. What is the est. delivery time?

I know a few other CD63/67 owners that might be interested in this tranny, so count me in for at least 3pcs. and maybe even five.

Now we have to find a way to organize all this. Maybe a post in the group-buy section, and set up a buyers list? It would be nice if we can get to twenty pcs.
What do you think Michael, since you are most likely going to be the one that will be placing the order (and pay for it...)?

Regards,

Ray.
Old 28th January 2006, 12:20 PM   #443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c
Michael, I think it's a VERY good price
I told you so...

Have a look at the manufacturer's websites:

Mueller-Rondo

multipcb

Have to go out now - more discussion tomorrow...
Old 29th January 2006, 07:02 PM   #444
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What is the est. delivery time?
two weeks / twelve working days

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister
Are they oxygen free copper?
I have no idea. From the back of my head I remember reading that all copper wire is OFC these days,
simply because this is the only manufacturing process being used today. Is that true?

Quote:
Now we have to find a way to organize all this. Maybe a post in the group-buy section, and set up a buyers list? It would be nice if we can get to twenty pcs.
What do you think Michael, since you are most likely going to be the one that will be placing the order (and pay for it...)?
Yes, I will start a group buy thread and set up a wiki as soon as we have finalized the specifications.
I have a few more questions:

Is anyone from the US interested in dual 115V primaries instead of the single 230V?

Would you like to have the mounting bracket and a large M5 screw come with the toroids?

Technical question:
Why do we need 17V and 9,5V AC secondaries for regulated DC voltages of 12V and 5V?
The Audiocon regs should not be much different fron the ALW super regs I'll use
- which only need a raw DC supply of max. 5V above their regulated output.
In other words: Shouldn't 14V and 8V secondaries be more than enough?
This would allow for a higher current rating, too...
Old 29th January 2006, 07:13 PM   #445
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:

Technical question:
Why do we need 17V and 9,5V AC secondaries for regulated DC voltages of 12V and 5V?
This would allow for a higher current rating, too...

Hi.

To allow for the possibility of pre-regulating to give lower noise.

This is what I would prefer.

Andy
Old 29th January 2006, 07:18 PM   #446
diyAudio Member

Andy,

the 5V input-output difference on the super regs do include pre-regulation, of course...
Old 29th January 2006, 07:28 PM   #447
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Hi.

True but not everyone uses super-regs!

Andy
Old 29th January 2006, 09:14 PM   #448
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Would you like to have the mounting bracket and a large M5 screw come with the toroids?

Technical question:
Hi Michael,

For me, I don't need to have a bracket supplied with the tranny. I can easily bend it out of a strip of aluminium, or buy something that's made to fit at the hardware store. But if other people are interested, i'm going to save myself the trouble of bending it

As for the 115V primaries: I think that's a good one! It will make the tranny more versatile (lovely word...versatile...). I can't imagine it will add loads to the cost.

The idea behind the voltages is that it should be possible to use two-stage regulators, but to stay below 24VDC raw input voltage for the various commercially available regs. With 17VAC that will just be the case, and it's not going to be unloaded anyway.
For two regs we'll need at least 2 times 2,5...3V drop-out, plus the required 12V = 17...18VDC, plus some ripple and diode drop. We'll have a spare drop-out voltage of a few volts.

Regards,

Ray.
Old 30th January 2006, 11:43 AM   #449
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, while we are in suspense for the trannies, what's the next mod-move on the CD63/67 players?

Personally, i'm scraping parts together for a tube output stage, to get rid of the opamps (= feedback) entirely. Will need another custom tranny for that I guess, since it needs heatervoltage and >200V or so.

Anyone out there that already built one and has good tips?

Regards,

Ray.

Hi.

Now that the tx is 'sorted', perhaps we can move on to a tube output stage?

I found this article some years ago. It has a circuit suitable for the dac used in the'63.

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell...a/vasfda.html#

The main problem, as I see it, is the tube circuits usually use a HT of 200v+.
I have found 1 circuit using a E88CC with HT of 125v.

http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/tubedac.htm

A tube output dac from Hong Kong uses 24v.

Question :- Why can we not design a tube output with a HT of say 30v using a mini Tx of 15-0-15 ie off the shelf components.?

Andy
Old 30th January 2006, 12:16 PM   #450
adfinni is offline adfinni  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY

I would say, particularly to anyone considering modding their CD63SE/KI that the following mods made extremely important changes to the sound quality that make it produce great music:

1 - removal of dc blocking caps* (and muting transistors)
2 - add on clock with totally dedicated psu
3 - op-amps to opa627 or other top notch solution
4 - damping chassis (not too much tho!!) and using 3 wooden cones as feet
5 - bypassing hdam

*if your amp can deal with the possible dc, but just do it, come on!

And that's more or less the order they should be done, but it seems obvious to upgrade the psu too.
hey all

I just got my CD63 mkII and certainly impressed with the sound of it coupled with my arcam delta 290 amp and monitor audio b2 speakers, but I WANT MORE !!!!

The mods listed by simon tY are pretty much what i want to do. I'm ok at soldering, and am preactising at the moment by removing DC output caps, bypassing output buffers, and replacing the op-amp with an lt1364, all on my emu 0404 soundcard. I have all the tolls needed to solder, and im ok at this soldering malarky too, but not too hot yet on SMT soldering.

Right the mods:

- Firstly im going to fill the 4 feet with blu-tac, and use either some car sound dampening bitumen pads, or the isolation stuff off audiocom to dampen the insides of the player.

- (1. removal of dc blocking caps*). I have the service manual, but am not sure which caps are the dc blocking caps, and what is is the safe DC offset that can be allowed when the caps are removed + bypassed ??

- (2. add on clock with totally dedicated psu). I have seen the cheap audiocom superclock 2 on ebay for 70 and was wondering if i should get one of their upgrade kits including the clock and supregs ranging from 100 - 120 - 130. Are the upgrade packs worth it etc etc ????
Also, is it easy to fit the new clock, and is it really necessary for another PSU, as i cant be bothered to make an external one?

- (3. op-amps to opa627 or other top notch solution). Will i need a/some browndogs for op-amp replacement, and how many op-amps will i need? also where about are they on the board ?

finally - (5. bypassing hdam) This seems fairly simple, and involves removing a few things and bridging the gaps with some wires. btw. what sort of wire should i use for internal connections, and where can i get it from?

Very final question. Are these mods only for the analog circuit, or is it worth just using the cdp as a transport and buying a nos dac or monica2 dac??? Would the mods listed above be bypassed with a DAC or will they make the player sound better than getting a DAC ??

sos for all the questions, but im a newbie. Will it be better for me to start a new' help adam mod his cd63) thread rather than clogging this one up?

Thanks all
ad

Hide this!Advertise here!