Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Just found this - great thread all!

Just a note of caution - not that anyone really needs it this far in: swapping clock lines out for coax make the CD63 *significantly* more fragile if you want to keep playing with it. Just the act of removing and replacing the motherboard will often weaken the bond between coax and PCB pad, to the point that finding it doesn't work and then having to check for a broken joint or lifted pad is seriously frustrating.

I say this becasue I think, on balance, it's not really worth it. If I were to mod another '63 I'd limit myself to adding coax only for the RF from the transport daughterboard. After that, jitter doesn't matter if you have a good clock at the DAC; and if you have access to a scope, paying with series resistors in the clock lines on board can pay just the same dividends, but they are NOT big.

Anyway - have fun. Might just have to find myself another CD63 and have another go - mine got destroyed in house-move accident :(

Regards to all,
martin

martin clark said:
Just found this - great thread all!

Just a note of caution - not that anyone really needs it this far in: swapping clock lines out for coax make the CD63 *significantly* more fragile if you want to keep playing with it. Just the act of removing and replacing the motherboard will often weaken the bond between coax and PCB pad, to the point that finding it doesn't work and then having to check for a broken joint or lifted pad is seriously frustrating.

I say this becasue I think, on balance, it's not really worth it. If I were to mod another '63 I'd limit myself to adding coax only for the RF from the transport daughterboard. After that, jitter doesn't matter if you have a good clock at the DAC; and if you have access to a scope, paying with series resistors in the clock lines on board can pay just the same dividends, but they are NOT big.

Anyway - have fun. Might just have to find myself another CD63 and have another go - mine got destroyed in house-move accident :(

Regards to all,
martin

Thanks for the advice. To someone with not much electronics experience like me it would be a disaster to put loads of coax wire in.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

...happy to say my player is still working. Just played a Norah Jones cd and it's sounding good. However, it is making the odd little skipping noise marked by a sort of white noise burst. It didn't do this before! So I'm thinking I've razzed something by scraping the bottom components on the chassis.

Also, something I noticed when playing discs with it open... the disc spins sort of eccentrically - it jiggles from side to side. Is this a problem? Can we reduce this? Is it normal?

SimontY said:

Thanks for the advice. To someone with not much electronics experience like me it would be a disaster to put loads of coax wire in.

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

...happy to say my player is still working. Just played a Norah Jones cd and it's sounding good. However, it is making the odd little skipping noise marked by a sort of white noise burst. It didn't do this before! So I'm thinking I've razzed something by scraping the bottom components on the chassis.

Also, something I noticed when playing discs with it open... the disc spins sort of eccentrically - it jiggles from side to side. Is this a problem? Can we reduce this? Is it normal?

That noise you are experiencing usually happens when the RF signal is weak. This is probably due to the ribbon connector, If it were the laser or RF circuit it would do it all the time.

When its playing very lightly flex the ribbon so it rocks in the connectors. It should make the unit do the problems you discribe.

poynton said:

The disk or the central clamp??

The disk usually spins fairly centrally but the clamp can be VERY off centre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Andy is correct.
There is a 1-2mm clearance on most clamps. This is because a perfect fit clamp would not clamp correctly.
Remember the clamp clamps into situe via a sidways action as the disc loads and the mech lifts.

Good morning,

Very interesting guys. I'll not worry about the dodgy spinning then if it's quite normal. At least when I ask these daft questions people who wondered but didn't want to ask can be reassured :)

Moving on... do all roads lead to the ribbon cable or what?! I'll do as you say and see what happens. Maybe the single piece of coax from transport to main pcb is inevitable :smash:

Cheers Rowe ;)

SimontY said:
Good morning,

Very interesting guys. I'll not worry about the dodgy spinning then if it's quite normal. At least when I ask these daft questions people who wondered but didn't want to ask can be reassured :)

Moving on... do all roads lead to the ribbon cable or what?! I'll do as you say and see what happens. Maybe the single piece of coax from transport to main pcb is inevitable :smash:

Cheers Rowe ;)

The ribbon connectors are not designed to be unpluged as many times as we have done and the contacts loose there springyness.

:whazzat:

SimontY said:
............ At least when I ask these daft questions people who wondered but didn't want to ask can be reassured :)..............

I don't mind answering 'daft' questions when it is obvious that the person is unsure, a newbie etc............

What I do object to ( and we have not seen it on this thread .. yet! ) is the answer ' Do a search, you'll find it ! ', or similar remarks ! NOT HELPFUL at all !

Andy

SimontY said:
I agree entirely. Except for some situations such as when things have been covered a million times by various names, it's generally a bit lame to say "do a search" as the sole answer to a query.

Btw I did search for bad CD spinning etc., but not much came up ;)

i agree

All that is needed is the right phrase.
and sometimes it can be very hard to find.

allan

what seems "daft" to some may be beyond others.

i don't mind daft questions especially when i ask them:rolleyes:

speaking of

has anyone seen nelson Pass's D1 schematic

Wellity well....

Has you know I posted pics of my servo and HF/RF reg pcb last week.
Well its wired up now with some nice coax.

The treble is sooo crisp almost like im listening to a live set. Top of the midrange vocals of Diana Krall are more open than ever.
The resonance is also improved.

All this from my setup at work...can't wait to get it home.

The treble and top mid range will be from the coax mod.
The resonance on piano and the nice bass is defo from the psu.
When I fitted the silver mica caps and 0.1% resistors to these circuits this is what I got.

I recommend the coax and of course lots of regs.;)

I have 8 custom regs and 3 custom TX now!!!!! Only the 10V and +5V for CPU is untouched.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.