Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:

How much would they cost, Brent ?

Are these for the analog PSU ?

I want to try the (LM317 3-terminal positive voltage regulators 1,5A 20W) for +12V and (LM337 negative volt reg 1,5A 20W) for -12v but all I am finding are adjustable regulators...?! should not these devices be fixed in 12V ?

Note:
Obviously I am not as experienced as you All but I intend to get the best of this CD Player and I am a really fast learner.

Sorry for the basic questions but it would be very difficult to me otherwise.

Regards

Ricardo

I am going to stick them on ebay....probably.

I would say the Invisus is worth £25 and Qpower £20 and the Super Reg £15

Ideally you could use Invisus on DAC ana the Qpower on DAC digital and the Superreg on DAC clock vcc

Brent

Thomo said:
Today I received my 30va 2x12v tx which I'm going to use for the driver ic in my cd67. Could you shed any more light on how to do this Brent?

Don't forget that this is one of the areas where the 63 and 67 differ, if you mean the three servo amp pairs that power the motors. (spindle/sled, radial/focus, tray/spare)

The 63 uses +/-'10'V (actually 11V-12V) unregulated.

The 67 uses 0V/5V regulated (that's what the extra reg does).

You only need one voltage on the 67. If your unregulated supply is much higher than the 11-odd volts going into that 7805 presently, the reg might get a bit hotter when playing.... and make sure any pre-reg caps will take the voltage you are sending in. If you measure that 12V unloaded it'll probably come up more like 14V-15V. That's RMS. Rectified (minus diode drops) will be more. Schottky diode drops are less than normal diodes. Make sure the caps are 25V not 16V and you'll be fine though.

Glenn2 said:

Don't forget that this is one of the areas where the 63 and 67 differ, if you mean the three servo amp pairs that power the motors. (spindle/sled, radial/focus, tray/spare)

The 63 uses +/-'10'V (actually 11V-12V) unregulated.

The 67 uses 0V/5V regulated (that's what the extra reg does).

You only need one voltage on the 67. If your unregulated supply is much higher than the 11-odd volts going into that 7805 presently, the reg might get a bit hotter when playing.... and make sure any pre-reg caps will take the voltage you are sending in. If you measure that 12V unloaded it'll probably come up more like 14V-15V. That's RMS. Rectified (minus diode drops) will be more. Schottky diode drops are less than normal diodes. Make sure the caps are 25V not 16V and you'll be fine though.

rowemeister said:
All correct - In terms of fitting the tx just connect it to the fuses and use the onboard rectifier and caps (need upgrading).

Brent

Thanks guys. I was planning to use 25v caps anyway.

Do you think it would be better to feed each chip with it's own reg?

Lee.

Yes feed them all seperate (I did, X6 though being a 63) Also make sure you have a large uF cap after reg as they take large currents. Especially the Spindle motor ic.
I found with standard regs I needed very large caps but with the SPower I only needed small caps due to their ability to supply current on demand.

So once they are all fitted monitor V before and after the reg. A little sag before the reg is ok if its small and you want no sag after the reg. You will find the laser tracks well etc + the added benefit of a tighter more controlled bass.

Brent

SimontY said:
Every pin of every ic and every other circuit gets it's own S reg, black gate, fancy diode and transformer in Brent's LOL

lol, sure sounds like it! We're only jealous.

I've just taken the board out of the first cd63 I ever touched with a soldering iron. It's been sat for a couple of years faulty. OMG :bigeyes: :whazzat: :smash: :cannotbe: the STATE of it, lol.

Why do you need 6 regs on the 63 driver ic's Brent?

Lee.

Nah abuse me instead. I still have 2 very sexy paperweights siting on my hi-fi rack :bawling: :bawling: :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But my other player is still potering along nicely, and sounds sublime through the latest headphone amp ive just completed.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unfortunately at the UK meet at the weekend i didn't get to compare my player to the meridian G08 someone had borrowed and brought along. Everyone was fighting over the meridian and the 63 didn't get a huge amount of listens. People weren't particularly interested in DIY audio equipment, although i still think my rig sounded pretty damn good compared to some of them costing over 1k for amps and the 2.5k meridian.

Their loss.

Horrific microphonics with just the wooden feet. Everytime the cable brushed against something it was horrific, plus i could hear the cd tray opening through my headphones too. those 'flatfeet' are sorbothane and got rid of the microphonics.

O yes quite a few noobs at the show. But the meridian player hooked up to some other equipment did sound stunning. the singlepower extreme amp at 1400 dollars was the best there, and the benchmark DAC 1 out of the meridan then hooked up to the graeme slee solo amp sounded even better. Expensive for all of them though, so im sticking with some sennheiser 650's and a darkvoice amp from china. But not before i get a nice lyngdorf amp and some scm-11's or older 12's.

excuse my postings, keyboard is going tits up. Each shift button only works with certain keys plus the pounds and dollars signs are bust. :(

Hi Ad,

HD650s will be similar to, if a touch better than, my HD600s. You heard mine and felt there could be more detail (from a discman lol), so I don't know what you expect from the 650s! Personally I don't think more detail really exists, Grados just sound very bright and forward.

Andy Poynton didn't like my headphones at the show UK meet, running off John's (Seroxatmad) phones amp. Conversely, I found the Grado types offered by several proud owners quite unpleasant and unrefined with no bass to speak of - so perhaps it's just down to taste. Also if I couldn't listen to speakers I'd want comfy cans that can be worn for more than 15mins.

Anyway, congratulations on the paperweights, they are very sexy in their new role :D

Also good to hear your CD63 is blowing you away - that's all that matters. And I know you have good taste because you said my sound was natural :Pumpkin:

Simon

Hi Simon,

Grados do offer bass, and lots of it (if its present in the signal) but you wouldn't hear it in a noisy environment like at the meet.
In a noisy room, the HD 600s were far more impressive.
I agree they take a lot of getting used to.

I was quite disappointed with my headphone amp being a bit gutless at the meet, then I discovered my DAC output is about 3 or 4v rms! I knew it wasn't normally THAT quiet ;) LOL!

Adfinni, I do like your headphone amp. Very nicely enclosed.

Cheers,
Phil

Well the 650's i heard at the meet were easily the best headphones i heard. Out of the grahem slee solo fed by the benchmark dac 1 and the meridian g08, they were simply unbeatable.

plus i can pic them up for about 150 and combined with a darkvoice 336i amp and some extra NOS tubes for about 150 i can have a 2nd amazing headphone rig to be fed by my 63. But still, a new amp and atc speakers must come first when i actually get a job.

i still love my grado's though and will never get rid of them. still no real listening impressions on my new amp yet as im still waiting for the blackgates to burn in. The blackgate bloom is painfully obvious.

Hi Brent,

DaveT posted the results of the last MKP10s on the other thread. You probably read it already! Nothing on the BG ACs but the BGs he rated did very well and they were the lesser ones.

Now speaking of abuse and maybe some punishment too, Simon needs some until he gets us an answer on that Rotel! :bawling: :whip: LOL

Also, Hi Phil.

Regards//Keith