Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 411 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2006, 08:51 PM   #4101
diyAudio Member

Simon have a look in the farnell & RS catalogues, would the CEEP & AMP connectors do the job ? The advantage is removable pins and sockets, the advantage being.......you can probably go get them silver plated, gold plated conn pins already available. The CEEP look pretty good to me also. Take a look.

RS 314-5500 onwards CEEP

RS 117-6170 onwards for AMP

AMP give the advantage that individual pins can be changed over time if you are unhappy with resistance readings.

As far as cable is concerned, why not make up your own individual chosen cables, screened if necessary, bunched together in a nice mesh sleeve ? These easily fit into a suitably sized AMP connector. You can even use mutiple ground connectors to reduce resistance, and mutiples for dc to increase headroom ?

Dennis
Old 17th October 2006, 09:53 PM   #4102
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by markk02474
In the digital circuits there is no such audible penalty for using a resistor or choke, and only benefits.
Well thank gawd for that 'cause I just done it! lol! Just made the reg board for the divider chip now. About to photograph and test that. Then I need to look at an early test roughly hooked to the player!!!
Old 17th October 2006, 09:54 PM   #4103
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your suggestions Dennis, I'll check those connectors out tomorrow! I'm getting tired now but I'd like to test this psu before going to bed.... and I can't wait to hear some results!

Simon
Old 17th October 2006, 11:36 PM   #4104
diyAudio Member

Here's the 2nd psu at player end. This feeds the divider chip that takes the 16.9mhz from the Audiocom clock and splits it in two for the servo clock....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg servo5v.jpg (88.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 17th October 2006, 11:50 PM   #4105
diyAudio Member

And here was the eureka moment!! It didn't work at first, naturally, it wanted to tease me. The disc just span super fast and was approaching take off speed when I turned it off! I decided the psu grounds might like connecting to the CDP ground. Yep, it liked that!

It's now quietly playing reggae... I should resist saying anything before a "proper" listen, but.... I can't!!! The warmth, space, detail, dynamics, gorgeous textures. I hope this is the same when I wake up, you can't trust a quick night listen (always impressive at night).

The next time someone says "reclocking brings minimal gains" I will chuckle to myself... They can keep their Aiwa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glowing.jpg (57.5 KB, 268 views)
Old 18th October 2006, 12:03 AM   #4106
YoungSC is offline YoungSC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks again guys.

Mark, I'll take my hand off it and get soldering

Simon (Oz)
Old 18th October 2006, 07:37 AM   #4107
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
SimontY,

Do you have plans to replace the phono connector with something a little more elegant ?

Andy
Old 18th October 2006, 09:03 AM   #4108
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
hey guys sorry for taking this a bit off topic but has anyone experimented with incorporating a small preamp and valve 2 way XO inside a CD63KI or similar chassis? something like this

http://members.aol.com/sbench101/Crossover/xover.gif

My idea was to drive a pair of stereo power amps (2 ch. for the woofer and 2 for the tweeter) directly from the a CD63Ki.
Old 18th October 2006, 09:13 AM   #4109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
And here was the eureka moment!! It didn't work at first, naturally, it wanted to tease me. The disc just span super fast and was approaching take off speed when I turned it off! I decided the psu grounds might like connecting to the CDP ground. Yep, it liked that!

It's now quietly playing reggae... I should resist saying anything before a "proper" listen, but.... I can't!!! The warmth, space, detail, dynamics, gorgeous textures. I hope this is the same when I wake up, you can't trust a quick night listen (always impressive at night).

The next time someone says "reclocking brings minimal gains" I will chuckle to myself... They can keep their Aiwa.
Excellent mate. The Super reg on the servo clock pcb makes such a good improvement

Brent
Old 18th October 2006, 09:14 AM   #4110
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know when the LM4562NA are available for general sale?

These chips have impressed me.

Brent

Hide this!Advertise here!