Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 403 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2006, 09:41 AM   #4021
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Hehe, well you can only order each chip once I think. I ordered about 2 weeks ago or a bit less..
Old 12th October 2006, 12:36 PM   #4022
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
Hehe, well you can only order each chip once I think. I ordered about 2 weeks ago or a bit less..

From National, you can only order 5 chips per week.

My first order for the LM4562 went through OK and I have received them.

My second order for LM6171 bounced. !! but ....

I had changed my email account from hotmail to freeserve to try to get around the delivery charge. I have now changed back but I will wait a week before reordering.

Andy
Old 12th October 2006, 08:08 PM   #4023
diyAudio Member

My order went through no problem for the 4562's as i ordered them via my business, so no problems, cant wait till they arrive. No charges whatsoever, for evaluation only obviously

I already got a pack of 50 hi quality gold plated sockets, not the cheapy gold over nickel stuff, decent gold, i think ill get some studs in a pair and give them to the wife as earings on her birthday !

Just finished cleaning all my earth pins and plugs with brasso diluted with IPA solution, they where already treated and scrubbed anyhow, HOOOOOLYYY **** base, defo made a big differnce on the cd63ki and amp ! Nice base......im still trying to find my spleen !

Dennis
Old 12th October 2006, 09:55 PM   #4024
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Good bass is partially a product of good mains
Old 13th October 2006, 01:11 AM   #4025
Pohyen is offline Pohyen  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Can anyone advice in getting DAC SM5872

The DAC is needed for my 67 which suspect faulty as it sudden haywire with noise and fail to read..
Old 13th October 2006, 04:01 AM   #4026
jksmurf is offline jksmurf  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 801/802 replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c
Those PCB's are from Eddie Wang DIY. But he has designed new ones, also for the LM337, so the part about reversing and bending is no longer nescessary. Regards,
Ray
Taiwan is close, so I was thinking about purchasing these PCB's as replacements for the:

LM7805 = +5v regulator (5v digital supplies x2)
LM7812 = +12v regulator (analogue section +supply)
LM7912 = -12v regulator (analogue section -supply)

I believe (I do not claim to know!) from what I have read on other threads and pinkfish and acoustica sites that LM1086 and LT1086 are equivalents for LM317T. Eddie Wang's site also notes that the LT1085 series can be used. Is there any experience of putting these in the reg? Is it much more expensive?

How does it compare to a "Raygulator" with a LM317 ..

In this post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...806#post860806 Ray also shows a LM1086 reg.

k.
Old 14th October 2006, 01:42 PM   #4027
diyAudio Member

Default Mod update 1

Guys,
Hi and thanks for all your modding posts. Keep them coming. Here is the list of alterations I've done so far:

1. Removed the muting transistors and replaced them with a DPDT relay (gold internal contacts) - made a massive difference to the transparency and soundstage. I didn't have a relay in the system for a few weeks and didn't miss the muting circuit till I switched the CD player off one day with my monoblocs on (I normally have everything permanently powered up). Implemented the relay circuit ASAP. It essentially got rid of any switching noises between tracks or during power on/off which could potentially kill the speakers.

2. Removed the DC blocking caps on the output (C655-658) and used them to replace C651-654 - small but noticeable enhancement to the dynamics.

3. Replaced the +/-12V and 5V regs with LM317/337s - improved the imaging dramatically

4. Replaced the clock with an Audiocom Superclock 3

5. Powered the clock with a dedicated PSU - carried out step 4 & 5 together. All I can say is that I've started listening to my entire CD collection again. I'm either hearing things or I'm hearing things (that I didn't hear before)!!!

6. Replaced the opamps with OPA627s on Browndogs

7.Disabled the HDAMs - 6 & 7 were carried out together. The player is definitely less harsh.

8. Replaced the 2 way 240Vac cord with a filtered IEC socket and a wattgate/shielded cable combo - caused a noticeable hum which turned out to be caused by my tuner. Got rid of the ground loop with a grounding strap.

9. Damped the insides of the unit - I didn't hear any difference except when you knock on the top, its not musical any more!!!

Stage 2:
1. Isolate the DAC/decoder power with their own LM317 vregs
2. Waiting on my LM4562NA 'ultimate' opamp samples to arrive from Nat'l Semiconductors
3. Start installing all the SMD bypass caps
4. Any suggestions???

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th October 2006, 02:48 PM   #4028
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Leon.

What is that SMPS in picture 4 doing? Powering the clock?
Old 14th October 2006, 03:39 PM   #4029
diyAudio Member

Hi! That is correct - all it does is powers the Superclock. I had it lying around so I thought I'd try it. It needed some shoehorning in though!

I'm in need of ideas for the next mod on the player. Any thoughts?

Leon
Old 14th October 2006, 04:07 PM   #4030
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leonlobo
Hi! That is correct - all it does is powers the Superclock. I had it lying around so I thought I'd try it. It needed some shoehorning in though!

I'm in need of ideas for the next mod on the player. Any thoughts?

Leon
I don't know the Superclock onboard regulator - Brent does.

BUT - Please take a look at "using 3-pin regulators, part 2" at http://www.acoustica.org.uk/ and remember, that the clock supply is extremely critical. The less noise the better. That's why the PFM Flea was born.

I wouldn't use a SMPS anywhere near my CDP. Just my opinion.

Hide this!Advertise here!