Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 400 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2006, 09:08 AM   #3991
jksmurf is offline jksmurf  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c
..... I want to do a comparison between the players I have, and in one of them I want to bias the opamps in class-A. But if you want to try it yourself, it's a 5 minute mod. Just solder a resistor between each output and the negative voltage rail. Somewhere between 3k3 and 3k9 for +/-12V supply. That should give you a pretty good idea of the change in sound. If you like it you can change the resistor into a more sophisticated FET current sink.
Regards, Ray
Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
It may be important to add power supply decoupling right under the pins (of the socket - use a socket so you can compare op-amps easily). I use Panasonic FC 33uF/50v and they work well. These go from + to earth and - to earth. I think + and - are pins 4 and 8 on the op-amps. Simon
OK, so there's (i) "biasing the opamps in class-A" and (ii) "power supply decoupling" ... how many have done (i), (ii) or both and what are your experiences?

Cheers

k.
Old 11th October 2006, 09:35 AM   #3992
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by jksmurf
OK, so there's (i) "biasing the opamps in class-A" and (ii) "power supply decoupling" ... how many have done (i), (ii) or both and what are your experiences?

Cheers

k.
Not biased any opamps into class a. Mainly becuase many people have said it's not worth it/doesn't get better.

I have listened before and after psu bypassing done under the op-amp socket legs. Listening to the op-amp both ways (OPA2134) the difference was very useful extra control and involvement. The sound got tighter. This was using small, low impedance electrolytics.

I don't doubt the improvements will be greater or lesser depending on the quality of the caps used to bypass, the other caps used, their proximity to the op-amps and also the type of op-amp. Search for posts by the user CarlosFM (I think that's the one) as he's tested many capacitor and op-amp combinations.

Regards,
Simon
Old 11th October 2006, 10:35 AM   #3993
Robfow is offline Robfow  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Thank you SimontY. I will now wait for my LM4562 to arrive
Old 11th October 2006, 11:27 AM   #3994
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:

Not biased any opamps into class a. Mainly becuase many people have said it's not worth it/doesn't get better.

Hi.

The reviews I have read state that biasing into class A makes a subtle but noticable difference.
I suppose it does depend on how modified your CDP is and also the type of opamp being used.

Class A generally gives a more musical sound as the distortion components are even harmonic as opposed to odd harmonics from class B (unless it is driven to clipping).

Having said that, Ray's discrete FET output is class A and would seem the route to go for the 'ultimate' uotput stage.

Andy
Old 11th October 2006, 02:20 PM   #3995
diyAudio Member

Hi
Any of you know what this is Surge protection

Brent
Old 11th October 2006, 02:22 PM   #3996
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
Having said that, Ray's discrete FET output is class A and would seem the route to go for the 'ultimate' uotput stage.

Andy
Sweet, well I hope to soon find out for myself how good it is!
Old 11th October 2006, 03:10 PM   #3997
diyAudio Member

Here's my simple but hopefully very clear schematic that I made for my new power supplies. I thought it might be useful to other beginners to electronics. If you can see anything I could do better without major cost, please feel free to chip in.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: gif cdp external psu schematic.gif (21.9 KB, 283 views)
Old 11th October 2006, 03:13 PM   #3998
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Here's my simple but hopefully very clear schematic that I made for my new power supplies. I thought it might be useful to other beginners to electronics. If you can see anything I could do better without major cost, please feel free to chip in.

Simon
You forgot to include Rowe's toffee in a box !!

Andy
Old 11th October 2006, 03:14 PM   #3999
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister
Hi
Any of you know what this is Surge protection

Brent

Bidirectional Silicon Transient Voltage Suppression Diodes
Old 11th October 2006, 03:15 PM   #4000
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
You forgot to include Rowe's toffee in a box !!

Andy
Hehe, I'd love to include a Russ Andrews Megaclamp. But that has to wait till we know what it is LOL

Hide this!Advertise here!