Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:
Hi

Can you elucidate me on the real function of the Servo Chip, so I can understand the way this mod can affect the sound ?
Thank you for your comments.

Regards

Hi Ricardo,

The servo chip is the circuit that controls the driving of the laser pickup. It drives the sled-motor and controls the up/down (focus) and left/right (radial) movement of the laserlens. It is not directly involved in processing the data-signal for audio, but you can imagine a stable servo will contribute to a good HF signal that comes off the CD.

Regards,

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you Ray

I will report my mods relating this subject...

I have another pertinent question:

You suggest replacing the psu diodes (CD 53 SE) with 11DQ10 schottky and I did so in the digital area with great results (more detail and overal definition).

I want to replace the ones in the analog PSU but I am considering the alternatives : HFA08TB60 EXFRED or BYW98-200 fast rectifier diodes.

Can you briefly explain the possible differences and results.

best regards

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

Nah, I don't think you'll damage anything. Just give it a try and see how it sounds, if you don't like it you can always take it out :)

Ray
Hi Ray

The C120 and C122 are now 2200uF/6,3v Rubycon MCZ and I have better L/R separation and more detail in the upper bass.

The bass that went away with the C505 2200pF Styroflex is back

;) ;) ;)

Can you advise on replacing C124 (VREF out) ?

Can this mod create a ressonance or malfunction ?

Regards

RCruz said:
I want to replace the ones in the analog PSU but I am considering the alternatives : HFA08TB60 EXFRED or BYW98-200 fast rectifier diodes.

Can you advise on replacing C124 (VREF out) ?

Can this mod create a ressonance or malfunction ?

Regards

Hi Ricardo,

I would go for the 11DQ10 (or MBR1100) schottky; the other ones are diodes with controlled reverse recovery and are very fast, which isn't very nescessary here since we're rectifying only 50Hz. The schottkys are fast as well, without virtually any recovery problems, so it doesn't have to be controlled either ;).
But some have reported good gains using the other diodes, although I think the HEXFRED's are a bit of a hype ATM. They're nice in a switch-mode power-supply :D.

C124 can be upgraded, but don't make it too big. If the reference voltage comes up too slow it could cause funny side effects. A 100u/16V Pana FC will do fine there, no need for fancy BG's.

Regards,

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz said:

You suggest replacing the psu diodes (CD 53 SE) with 11DQ10 schottky and I did so in the digital area with great results (more detail and overal definition).

Can anyone comment on this ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

Hi Ricardo,

I would go for the 11DQ10 (or MBR1100) schottky; the other ones are diodes with controlled reverse recovery and are very fast, which isn't very nescessary here since we're rectifying only 50Hz. The schottkys are fast as well, without virtually any recovery problems, so it doesn't have to be controlled either ;).
But some have reported good gains using the other diodes, although I think the HEXFRED's are a bit of a hype ATM. They're nice in a switch-mode power-supply :D.

C124 can be upgraded, but don't make it too big. If the reference voltage comes up too slow it could cause funny side effects. A 100u/16V Pana FC will do fine there, no need for fancy BG's.

Regards,

Ray

Thank you again Ray

Mostly off-topic

rowemeister said:
...a nicely improved sound over the last visit a few months ago.

Very sweet vocals, plenty of natural bass and good treble timing.

Thanks man!

The improvements are:

* use of Marantz MA-500 mono power amps
* massive toroid in preamp
* BG AC type in preamp
* C1 clock on servo in CD63
* S Power on DAC analogue in CD63
* S Powers on output stage

I'm pretty sure none of those mods were in place last time.

The sweet vocals are a product of the Marantz amps and the Black Gates in the preamp.

The treble timing was improved by the C1 on the servo, as were detail levels.

The S Powers on the output stage took that treble and made it clear and present. Forthright and accurate.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Thanks

I like the audio from the LM4562NA, especially with black gate caps on the power rails, if you don't want black gate then Cerefine or Silmics are decent enough.

Brent

Thank You brent

I would like some gidance on this because I am not familiar with the concept.

May I just replace the opamps without any more mods ?

Are these the same size and the same pin distribution as the original ones ?

What about the power input... does it need to be modified ?

Must I do some major modifications in the original PCB layout?

Regards