Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Polystyrene is better in terms of much lower DA (mica is rather lossy) and stability. BUT HF-VHF filter performance is dependant on layout as much as anything else; a few PF of stray capitance from input to output can destroy performance.

Afterthought: that HF noise shuld be checked with a typical preamp load from output to ground, say a 22K resistor. You might well find the HF noise all but dissappears. Measured withd only with a scope probe (typically 10pF/1 or 10megaohms input impedance) is the ideal way to 'measure' , or rather 'see', alevel of noise output that might not really be representative.

Ot

Glenn2 said:
Internals of new CD6002 found on net...

Ooh, looks quite nice. I like the IEC socket and the shielding area for the (fairly large) transformer. Also the output looks discrete (can't see op-amps). It should be quite good for a cheap and unmodded player.

KP11520 said:
Did you find anything about your other CD Player? Maybe email Tubenut and see if he has any ideas.

Not yet Keith, but I'm firing off a quick e-mail to Rotel Europe now. If it gets ignored I might give em a quick call tomorrow.

Hopefully Brent will take better pics of the 865 shortly.

Simon

edit: Rotel e-mailed

SimontY said:
Ooh, looks quite nice. I like the IEC socket and the shielding area for the (fairly large) transformer. Also the output looks discrete (can't see op-amps). It should be quite good for a cheap and unmodded player.

Marantz recently have favoured the Crystal DACs. I don't see why these need much more than differential to single-ended conversion with some benign low-pass filtering thrown in, yet their players seem to have an enormous amount of circuitry between the DAC and the outside world.

Don't forget the HDAM is an op-amp... I bet there are a couple of those lurking in there if they're not wearing copper hats!

Having said all that, looks like there's some good stuff going on in there as you say.

Ray mentioned the cheapo Sony laser.... but after my travails with the VAM1202 I'd personally welcome anything else!

Hi all:

Brent - I will be using some 6A UF (ultra fast) rectifiers. I like their sound!

Martin - Thanks for your reply. I will just ignore the noise and get on with some serious modding.

I am sorry my time online is sporadic at best – I teach for a living! I am grateful for all your help and comments.

Cheers,

Geoff

SimontY said:

Lee, does your friend read too many hi-fi comics? If his sound needs "sweetening up" I'd imagine it's better to do it with good component choice and speaker tweaking.

Just my 2p and I mean no offence.

Simon

By hell this thread moves fast sometimes. No offence taken Simon!
It's not so much that it needs sweetening up, he just likes the valve sound. He has 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, Audion Silver Night SE Valve power amps, and a very nice valve phono stage!

He wants valves poking out the top of the player to match everything else he owns:D

I took my player round to his last night and it sounded awesome!

Lee.

Thomo said:
He wants valves poking out the top of the player to match everything else he owns:D

I took my player round to his last night and it sounded awesome!

Fair enough then, that sounds like an expensive system (apart from the digital!)

Of course your player sounded awesome, with those mods hehe

Got my BG AC this morning, thanks. They certainly don't look the part, so they damn sure have to sound it! lol

Should fit in pre this evening.

Simon