Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 377 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2006, 05:54 AM   #3761
diyAudio Member

Hi! Just an update. Anyone planning on replacing the v regulators - it is worth every second (costs pennies). I replaced my +/- 12V & 5V regs for 317/337s this weekend and the difference in sound clarity and soundstage is very noticeable.
Old 19th September 2006, 10:01 PM   #3762
adfinni is offline adfinni  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I should have my new player this week sometime, so will get some hi-res pics of my mods up next week when i back and settled in at uni.

Only new mods to be implemented will be a new 5V reg pcb with x2 audiocom superregs and a 7805, a load more caps (especially around the op-amps and decoded), higher quality RCA sockets, and some sorbothane feet on the bottom of the chassis.

Keep the mods coming lads, and get piccies up
Old 20th September 2006, 03:47 PM   #3763
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adfinni
Keep the mods coming lads, and get piccies up
Ok, you asked for it :-)
But it's a bit off-topic, coz it's a SA8400...

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa8400_psu_analog.jpg (74.4 KB, 389 views)
Old 20th September 2006, 05:15 PM   #3764
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Who has put in the FC's. You Ray?

And what are those Black Boys? It says Hi-Fi.
Old 20th September 2006, 05:40 PM   #3765
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by avr300
Who has put in the FC's. You Ray?
Yeah, I admit it, it was me
And the BG's and ZL's too...

Quote:
And what are those Black Boys? It says Hi-Fi.
Those two large ones are 3300u Elna "For Hi-Fi", but I don't know how"Fi" they actually are, I can't seem to find any datasheet on them. I'm planning to replace them by Nichicon KG's.

Ray
Old 21st September 2006, 10:31 AM   #3766
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Default CD53 is dead

Hi there !
Hope you're all fine !
So I've settle a little, now I've just started the upgrade... on Ray's list : all the Power Supply part, and the few lines titled "OPAmps" but nothing else ( opamps, some R and 4 caps if I remember well ).
And then plug it back... and then the tears ! Yhe left channel does nothing but silence, some scrrr noises when raise volume on amp, and the same on the headphones : only one channel :'(
I knew it, i should have leave it alone and standard, now I have a dead player =(
I have no knowledge to save it, if even possible...
I'm very frustarted, and worts I have to go to work... shitty day !
Old 21st September 2006, 09:02 PM   #3767
diyAudio Member

Update : I'm just back from this sucking work, and still thinking of the few components changed... so I had a look at the solderings : oops ! The faulty channel... has an AD8620 with a non soldered pin! I think it will work quite better after
Will tell you!
Old 21st September 2006, 11:09 PM   #3768
diyAudio Member

Ray, thanks for the link to the CD67 manual ... but that deal fell through and now I have a virgin CD63.

I plan to mod it in stages and audition between stages as well as follows:

1. Remove muting, headphone circuits
2. Replace Digital e-caps w/Pana FC's and Analog e-caps w/Silmic II's. Also adding 0.33uF before regs and 0.1uF after regs as per datasheet to see if that helps clean up the 78XX-series a bit. Pana ELF15N007A choke in empty spot in PS section
3. Brown Dogs w/OPA132 & OPA627, remove HDAM
4. Replace ALL analog discretes with 1% metal film and WIMA's
5. HagClock w/homemade +/-12V PS

I read this entire thread now (am very tired...) and I have a few questions in relation to theory. A lot of you are modifying components in the digital section (HF Amp, etc.) ... why? I'd think the only thing that matters as far as upgraded components go are PS and DAC Analog out to the RCA's. Anything pre-decoder is bitstream, Decoder to DAC transmission lines ... maybe, caps definitely. Other than that, I don't see the benefit. On the coax, I think it is VERY important to use 50-ohm! Being a PCB Design Engineer by trade, all fiberglass PCB's are designed for 50-ohm transmission lines and terminated as such. Using a 75-ohm cable causes a mismatch and will cause reflections.

I saw someone post twice asking about digital vs. analog caps and yes, you are correct! Use the low ESR (Panasonic FC's) in the digital section and PA and "audio specific" caps in the Analog (Elna Silmic II, BG, etc.). Also, add a 0.1uF WIMA poly across the leads of the large e-caps on the bottom side of the PCB.

Last but not least, I might consider a discrete buffer circuit to get rid of the op-amps, but I'm with the tube guys on this one! No silicon for me! I'll keep people posted with my mods and get some good pic up for the new newbies to this thread since I see more and more older Marantz models for sale ... it's just a matter of time before they find this most excellent thread!

Happy Modding!
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:12 PM   #3769
diyAudio Member

Default Modding Marantz CD67

Hi Everyone,

I had a CD67 for quite long time and it just sit there since my sons broke the unit by pushing play and stop at the same time. Now it does not play music because the drawer got stuck. Anyone who has experiencing knowledge how to fix this problem. If the drawer got fixed I will mod it. Please help me with step by step since I never touch the CD67. Thank you very much and appreciate your inputs.

Regards,
Tan
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:40 PM   #3770
diyAudio Member

A short message to say : I love you all !!!!
Headphones are really improved ! AD8620 even if not burnt are killers !!!
Yeessssssssss

Hide this!Advertise here!