Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

disco said:

What you describe is the effect of applying compression on a recording... It might be something else but this is what came to mind instantly.

How I would describe it is the complete opposite actually!
It now escapes the speakers.

I'm talking here about impact and being musically convincing, not sound-pressure levels. It's just so much more dynamic that you don't need to play it loud to become involved.... if you see what I mean. It's a rich, powerful sound.

Glenn2 said:
I would describe it is the complete opposite actually!
It now escapes the speakers.

I'm talking here about impact and being musically convincing, not sound-pressure levels. It's just so much more dynamic that you don't need to play it loud to become involved.... if you see what I mean. It's a rich, powerful sound.

You are experiencing better dynamics? I know exactly what you mean as I design my own amps and this is one major aspect of a succesfull design. Don't go over the edge though, like detail it might get in the way of acceptable / enjoyable listening. Some amps I build were impressive but intolerable for continued listening. Tiresome is word.

Glenn2 said:
One of the strange differences after installing the Zapfilter is that when I play music late at night at low levels, it still has enormous impact and detail. You don't have to play loud to really feel the music. Odd!

Exactly the same effect using Ray's output stage, I love it!

I do agree with Jaap that, superficially at least, the effect experienced is a little like applying compression. Only without the side effects!

Simon

Hi Brent, hope you had a good holiday.

What are the dimensions of your S-Power regs please Brent?

Also, where do you think the best place would be for me to use one please? I have an Invisus supplying the dac & decoder analogue, would it be best supplying dac digital?

Cheers, Lee.

Hi guys, i am loving the look of some of these players, and having just had an old CD63KI die on me (laser). I am looking at a modded CD6000Ki on ebay. What do you think would be an acceptable price? It seems that the 63KI's are still going for about £120-150!

Also, will i notice the difference between a modded 6000KI and a stock one when using them with a stock PM66KI?

Cheers

Hugh

Thomo said:
Hi Brent, hope you had a good holiday.

What are the dimensions of your S-Power regs please Brent?

Also, where do you think the best place would be for me to use one please? I have an Invisus supplying the dac & decoder analogue, would it be best supplying dac digital?

Cheers, Lee.

Hi Yes it was very nice and very hot.

Off the top of my head i can't remember the exact size. It is the same width as a super reg but slightly shorter. It is deeper due to the FET. Personaly I would try it on the DAC analogue. I am going to replace my Invisus with one in my own player. Simon will tell you what it did there (its all down to the response time (Sreg and Qpower are much slower)).

Try both regs in both positions and see what you think. The Invisus is a nice reg but with a rrp of £160 its a rip off.

Brent

rowemeister said:

Try both regs in both positions and see what you think. The Invisus is a nice reg but with a rrp of £160 its a rip off.

Brent

Is that how much they are? Good god!
I paid ~£35 from Audiocom on ebay, which I think is ok. I reckon I'll try one and put the invisus on the decoder only then!

Hughwi, if you do mod a player, make sure you use Black Gate caps around the opamps and dac. Nothing else comes even close, even Elna Silmics.

Cheers, Lee.

hughwi said:
hi martin,

i am afraid i am still under moderation, so i cannot email you! Would you mind emailing me with your asking price and details....

Thanks

Hugh

If you get Martin's 63SE, you can easily lift the entire transport assembly from one to the other, bringing you 63KI back to life (if you still have it). No soldering required (just a bit of unplugging), and any differences between the two machines are not in this area.

ah that sounds brilliant! i guess i should have a scout around for a busted one on ebay... i would still be interested in the player as a backup anyway (even just to see the difference between the KI and the SE).

Is it just the 63SE transport that is compatible, or is vanilla 63 (or even other players) also compatible?

Are there any higher quality transports that would also work? Might aswell use the opportunity to upgrade eh? :)

Thanks for your help guys

Hugh

disco said:
Good job on that digital-analogue converter board. Is there news on the availability of half assembled units? My eyes are not good enough for the small components used but I would certainly be interested in a prefab board.

Thanks Jaap. It's a very nice DAC. AFAIK there are no plans to offer pre-assembled PCBs in some form, but you can always send it to me, I'll be glad to put the SMDs on for you :yes:.

Regards,

Ray

hughwi said:
ah that sounds brilliant! i guess i should have a scout around for a busted one on ebay... i would still be interested in the player as a backup anyway (even just to see the difference between the KI and the SE).

Is it just the 63SE transport that is compatible, or is vanilla 63 (or even other players) also compatible?

Are there any higher quality transports that would also work? Might aswell use the opportunity to upgrade eh? :)

Thanks for your help guys

Hugh

All CD63 (and 53) are compatible (well 95% certain). The PCB on the underside is different on the 57/67/67SE but that unscrews and unplugs anyway. The only thing I'm not sure about on the '7s is whether the cable for the tray motor, open/close sensor is the same. But Brent will know this and will hopefully chime in.

The worry of course is that you'd get one from eBay that's about to die anyway. You might get ripped off (unless you buy Martin's - we trust him :) )

Also, are you certain the laser died and not some other failure? I.e., did it start skipping/refusing to play certain discs or did it go from fine to dead? Also, if it's just skipping, it may just need the old and congealed lubricant scraping off the cogs and rails. This is quite easy and a common fault.

Finally, you can only use the original transports (CDM12.1), or the backward compatible replacements (VAM1201/VAM1202).

Glenn2 said:

All CD63 (and 53) are compatible (well 95% certain). The PCB on the underside is different on the 57/67/67SE but that unscrews and unplugs anyway. The only thing I'm not sure about on the '7s is whether the cable for the tray motor, open/close sensor is the same. But Brent will know this and will hopefully chime in.

Finally, you can only use the original transports (CDM12.1), or the backward compatible replacements (VAM1201/VAM1202).

O rly

It's only the pcb thats different so its an easy swap. All connectors are the same

Brent