Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:
lol, why would you want to do that? :hot:

It won't kill you but the metal back is probably at +ve (the datasheet will tell you), so it can't be recommended.

If you need to you can have it lying on a piece of paper or something with the wires trailing away from it to ground, output (just a loose wire - don't connect it yet), and input voltage. This will make it as easy as possible to test for correct voltages without damaging anything.

Simon

so the ground can just go onto any ground on the pcb right?

SimontY said:

IF that is where the voltage is coming from to feed the regulator, then yes.

Say thomo suggested c803, i will connect the +ve from c803 to the input of lm317 regs and the -ve to the gnd og the regs, then a wire connecting to the output to the regs will be where i measure the output.

On the DMM i will point it to the side with the underline V, right

marcusdeming said:
Say thomo suggested c803, i will connect the +ve from c803 to the input of lm317 regs and the -ve to the gnd og the regs, then a wire connecting to the output to the regs will be where i measure the output.

On the DMM i will point it to the side with the underline V, right

C803 is +20v iirc. That's fine.

C803 > input of regs sounds fine.

-ve to the GND does NOT sound fine. Connect GND to GND. You can take ground from many places in the player - such as some of the jumper links. Perhaps someone knows one off the top of their head.

Ground and negative voltage are not the same thing, so try not to confuse them. -ve and +ve and the same thing in a way (as far as I'm concerned) but one is above ground and one is below.

An underline V (not wavy) should be correct - DC volts.

SimontY said:

C803 is +20v iirc. That's fine.

C803 > input of regs sounds fine.

-ve to the GND does NOT sound fine. Connect GND to GND. You can take ground from many places in the player - such as some of the jumper links. Perhaps someone knows one off the top of their head.

Ground and negative voltage are not the same thing, so try not to confuse them. -ve and +ve and the same thing in a way (as far as I'm concerned) but one is above ground and one is below.

An underline V (not wavy) should be correct - DC volts.

Its abt 130am here and i am pondering if i should try it out now, thanks simon.

Yesterday I had real trouble loading this site, but it seems ok now. So I now have a couple of things to say:D

Simon, I completely agree with you about that letter I posted! But if you see a colour photo, that KI DP looks fabulous. And if i'd paid aver a grand for a some copper plating, and a couple of blackgates I would HAVE to convince myself that it was the best cd player in the world EVER!

Now then...

For CD15 & CD16 the analogue rails to the dac, is it more important to have a larger value cap, or a smaller but higher-quality lower esr cap? eg. 470uF 16v BG, or a 100uF BG FK? Does it make much diff?

Lee.

Regs - a lot of them

It just happened? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• img_8483.jpg
    img_8483.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 409
I just thought that I was a little short of regs.

So I build a high-density reg board supplying basically all 5v consumers. I took the +-10V (which are +-12V) down to +-9V - all in separate regs.

So I ended up with 7 5v, 3 +9v and 3 -9v together with 2 Fleas, one clock Flea, two OPAMP regs and the onboard 5V. I ends up with, ehh 19 stück.

avr300 said:
I just thought that I was a little short of regs.

So I build a high-density reg board supplying basically all 5v consumers. I took the +-10V (which are +-12V) down to +-9V - all in separate regs.

So I ended up with 7 5v, 3 +9v and 3 -9v together with 2 Fleas, one clock Flea, two OPAMP regs and the onboard 5V. I ends up with, ehh 19 stück.

A lot of regs then, which is nice. What's it done for the sound?

Simon

Thomo said:
Those new National Semi LME thingy wotsit op-amps arrived today. I'm fitting them in a moment.

Has anyone else tried them yet? Are the better than the LM4562 (which I can remember)?

Lee.

ps any opinions on my earlier question about 330pF caps?

Not got them yet because they wanted me to pay postage. I don't really want to.

Sorry, I've no idea about the caps.

In other news.... BRENT HAS FIXED MY CD PLAYER!!! (again...)

Simon

My new reg board. +5v for all digital supply.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I listened for about half an hour last night to the new opamps. They are incredible, more detail, separation and cleaner.....

....but, I think I'll be putting the AD827's back in. They are just too "dry" sounding for my system. I will try them with standard Black Gates as opposed to FK's in another player soon. I might give them a bash with some Silmics as well.

Lee.