Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Thanks Simon.

I'm already very pleased with the level of detail. But my scirocco speakers are verry detailed and the blackgate's in my DIY gainclone gave some extra detail too. I hear new things on my CD collection every day. Can't wait to get that an even better sound.

But I have to admit I think the standard 63MKII KI and my previous CD57 MKII sound really awfull. I couldn't imagine some modding could bring the quality up to what I have now. I'll have to admit my statement about CD's sounding bad was wrong, it's most of the players that sound wrong :)

BTW, I think Blackgates are awesome for OPAMP power supply. I've got +/- 15V with 78CT15 and 79CT15, 4x 1000uF 25V non polars and 4x 330uF 16V and I've only measured about 80-90nV AC on the power lines with an open case. I previously measured more than 100mV. Yeah I know, Keithley 2000's are great too :)

:whazzat: Next time I'll have the drink before tweaking! I guess I was using the wrong 12 volt tap. I now have sound again using u161 jumper in front of the 7805.

Clarity! This may take some getting used to! It's bordering on overly bright. (with hdams)

The x02 has three clock outs. Can I make use of them on the cd63?

I guess I'm back to more tweaking, any suggestions for fuller richer mids?
;)

Separate low noise 5v Regs for dac & decoder analogue and digital, improves the sound in all areas.

Slightly off-topic but I recently emailed PartsConnexion in Canada about contacting the Black Gate manufacturer so I could buy-in bulk supplies, and they told me they are no longer manufactured! This may be old news, I don't know, but I thinks it's defo a big blow for us DIY'ers.

Regards, Lee.

p.s. I sincerely hope you missed the worst of that water Simon. Most of Sheffield looks a very nice place to be right now, if you're a duck!

Hi Lee,

Yes, I've missed most of the water. Thanks for your concern though. Picture of Endcliffe Park attached. It's just down at the bottom of my road. And my office is right by Millhouses park, where a boy was washed away to his death yesterday. Actually I was there right after it happened, just by chance. Not nice.

Simon

Attachments

• park.jpg
    park.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 317
Joe-HT said:
Clarity! This may take some getting used to! It's bordering on overly bright. (with hdams)

Good news as I am about to order a better clock too.

The best ways for a better mid definitly was removing the HDAM circuit and replace the opamps. The HDAM made the sound "slow". Even with the standard opamps it made a big difference. It sounds brighter.

Of course the removal of the output caps will do. But this mainly improved lower frequencies. But higher frequencies benefit from this too.

Last but not least a clean power supply for the opamps & DAC. The dac will improve from a seperate supply, or even better capacitors. My opamp supply is switched to +/- 15V with better regulators, better caps (BG) and removal of the headphone/mute circuit. This had a benefit on all frequencies. This is verry dependant of the opamp type. For example the popular LM4562 has a much higher PSRR so the difference will probably be smaller compared to others.

philpoole said:
Digital telly transport stream demux, all in assembly with only 15 mnemonics. Five years. You'd get less for murder I'm sure.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for more than 4 hours, once the novelty's worn off. Get a compiler's my best advice.
Anyway, I survived, that's the main thing.

:D :D :D I've been writing IBM mainframe assembly code for a living for the last 12 years (ok - three years off backpacking for good behaviour) - most people can't believe this sort of thing is still being done.... sometimes I can't... :D :D :D

Joe-HT said:
:whazzat: Next time I'll have the drink before tweaking! I guess I was using the wrong 12 volt tap. I now have sound again using u161 jumper in front of the 7805.

The x02 has three clock outs. Can I make use of them on the cd63?

;)

Yes you must always use the digital supplies for clocks so this is the right place to connect it. Giving it it's own transformer bring more benefits.;)

Re: Next mod, more regs!

Joe-HT said:
Glenn2, Thomo, alcoholic,
Regarding super regs, is there a consensus on which schematic balances simple and best?

Seems like a bunch are needed... :eek:

BTW, whose pic? Nice work!

I don't really know much about superregs to be honest. I only have one in my player, an Audiocom Invisus which I got real cheap off ebay. That does the analogue for dac & dec. All my other regs for digital and opamp and clock are simple LM317/LM337's.

Although this is reputed to be one of the best designs:

Attachments

• linreg.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 140
poynton said:

Selamat Pagi,

Some ready-made clocks can be expensive and the parts for some self-build can de hard to get and/or expensive.

However, it is possible to build a clock yourself on perf.circuit board that works far better than the standard clock.

For example, the oscillator from the Qwack clock can drive a 74xx chip rather than the high-speed comparator. This gives results similar to the LC clocks.

((Send me a PM. I am away at the moment. I'll send you some info when I get back to the UK. Are the Indonesian customs still 'HOT' on imports?))

Andy

Hi guys been spending weeks reading up on this thread before doing any more mods on my 63KI.

Wow!!

Next step for me must be the clock.

My question is this -I've just received all the parts for the Kwak clock ( thanks Ray for the info from your site -I don't know how I could have done most of my mods without your info! ).

Now I wonder about the 74xx chips mentioned and the LC clock - better than the standard Kwak??

I know it may be subjective so any advice please??

Also nice work on the discrete output Simonty !! Maybe next after the clock!?:smash:

Thanks for the jung schematic- had that already though. I guess I'll throw the dice and choose any old 317 design. Can't seem to find the latest 'raygulator' schematic.

My new clock is amazing; I recommend buying from diyaudiosupply.com. (Which seems to be down, along with tentlabs.com!)

It's around us$30 for a clock only or us$120 shipped for a tent clock on a pcb with 5v reg circuit. (btw- a very simple regulator, I guess I could just copy it for the analog section.)

Can anyone think of a good reason the numbers are ground off the 317at or whatever it is? :confused:

Last question, which of 700 pages is the schematic/discussion of the discreet output? :dead:

Thanks All!

Corrections! it's $37 clock only and $140 with reg shipped from Hong Kong. It's diyhifisupply.com and the site is up!

I'm reading like crazy and getting crosseyed! :xeye:

ALW, is there a newer version of the 317at circuit you have on accoustica.com cd63 tweaks pages? Since I have the 317s, I'd like to use them in the most noise-free way possible.