Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Thomo said:
Aaahh. I thought 30va was overkill but I didn't realise how much!

I do intend to swap it at some point for a slightly smaller version though. It fits EXACTLY in the "V" shape of the drawer when closed.

Thanks for the advice Brent. I assume the other parts of the circuit wouldn't need any more va than the clock either then?

Lee.

Here are the specs of the proposed replacement transformer :-

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=823056&stamp=1137864729

See post around #374

Andy

Well Ive got those opamps, removed the muting transistors, removed the output caps so at least Ive made a start!

Will bypass the HDAM tomoz. I have a tent XO which I'll build into a new clock with seperate psu.

The voltage regs will probably be from audiocom on ebay but Im not sure what you've actually done with feeding the various sections, still thinking about that.

Got the do the caps and diodes too!

I'll get there, sometime :smash:

Evening gents,

My 67SE has a noisy transformer but my standard 63 does not.
Are the upgraded SE transformers naturally noisier and can I do anything to stop mine buzzing? (This is mechanical noise, not electrical.)

I put some small bits of dynamat between the PCB and the chassis and also between the transformer bracket and the the PCB. This helped but it still irritates me.

Does the SE transformer really sound any better? I could swap them.

I've seen reviews of the 63SE and 67SE where people have complained of this so I don't think I'm alone.

Any tips here would be most appreciated.

Glenn

Glenn2 said:
Evening gents,

My 67SE has a noisy transformer but my standard 63 does not.
Are the upgraded SE transformers naturally noisier and can I do anything to stop mine buzzing? (This is mechanical noise, not electrical.)

I put some small bits of dynamat between the PCB and the chassis and also between the transformer bracket and the the PCB. This helped but it still irritates me.

Does the SE transformer really sound any better? I could swap them.

I've seen reviews of the 63SE and 67SE where people have complained of this so I don't think I'm alone.

Any tips here would be most appreciated.

Glenn

Yes the SE transformer does sound better! I have lots of 63 here at work and the (later) 63 and MKII do sound different and its due to the TX. A more fluid and solid audio performance from the MKII.

I would desolder the TX and remove, then bung in as much blu tak as possible underneath it, pop back into pcb and apply pressure whilst soldering it back in. Hopefully this should damp it quite a bit.

Brent

rowemeister said:

Yes the SE transformer does sound better! I have lots of 63 here at work and the (later) 63 and MKII do sound different and its due to the TX. A more fluid and solid audio performance from the MKII.

I would desolder the TX and remove, then bung in as much blu tak as possible underneath it, pop back into pcb and apply pressure whilst soldering it back in. Hopefully this should damp it quite a bit.

Brent

Cheers Brent!

I wonder if more pressure from above (via the cross brace) might achieve the same thing..... hmmm.....

Disc not spinning (again)

Can anyone tell me the most likely cause of my tx buzzing please?

The problem is on the 5v digital rail. Whenever I connect 5v to R508 (decoder digital) or RD04 (dac digital) the tx buzzes and the disc won't spin.

I have checked the voltages and everything seems ok. I can't find any bad solder joints and the regs are defo ok.

I know I keep asking questions, but I have tried and tried to sort this and have got no-where by myself.

Lee.

Ok. I placed the red lead on decoder side of R508 and the black on ground (pin 43 on decoder). My dmm only reads up to 2m and it went off the scale. So the resistance was >2m.

I think that may be a little high!

I guess that means decoder is poorly then?

Cheers Brent for the advice.

Lee.