Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

martin clark said:
I don;t think you'll need to swap the transformer - they are all the same, just a jumper wire or two to move will run the transforemr on 120v or 240v (puts primary windings in parallel or series)

I don't think that's true - not according to this anyway:

Attachments

• cd63_tx.jpg
    cd63_tx.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 284
Epicurean said:
Anyone tried a Zapfilter in their Marantz? I have a Zapfilter mkII in a chinese Zhaolu DAC using a CS4398 chip and the sound is just ridiculously good considering the price. I'm probably too lazy to try it out myself and the DAC is very versatile as I can use it with DVDs, digital tv and with the computer too.

Yeah I'm hoping somebody will try this one day too... maybe I will myself... I have a virgin CD63 lying around waiting to be deflowered.:devilr: I was thinking of trying out Ray's filter on it.

Actually I got it for spares as it was knackered - you had to open the drawer with the remote because the open/close button didn't work, the sound came and went from either channel randomly, and it skipped!

I swapped the tact switch behind the open/close button for the switch behind one of those little gold buttons ('Edit') and then found that both buttons worked fine (must've been a dry joint rather than worn switch). The coming and going was dry joints on the RCA - easily fixed. Threw in a spare VAM1202 and she's good as new now. :D

Malefoda said:
I do have a CD53, wich was sold to me as "already a MkII" but without any outside proof. The guy -famous ear around- told me Marantz already changed things inside, like the fact the amplification was higher, and that soon they'll make commercial benefit of it by selling it under the MkII name and a rise in price. So it seems there is a pre-MkII!
The fact is that for modding it, I've also advised a friend to buy a CD53. A standard CD63 only have the HDAM on: will be bypassed, so why find a more expensive CD63 to make it a 53?

I find funny to have a CD53 much more good than a standard... CD63SE!

Yes there is a type of pre MKII

Basically there is a MKI 63

Then there are a pile of them out there with the SE pcb fitted (no copper HDAM and standard TX) These were later versions.

The MKII has SE pcb with SE TX and a strut brace. (The SE has copper cans and bottom plate)

Note on the 53. A lot of the caps and resistors on the 53 are lower grade/lower value than the 63 ((TX included)defo lower grade than the later MKI and MKII). But if its being modded most of these parts will be changed anyway.

Brent

Hi guys.

The other day I added an extra tx to my modded ki (2x9v) for the analogue and digital and I'm shocked at the difference, it's way better in every area.

I am now looking at fitting another to power the superclock II as I think this will be the best improvement. What VA rating would be ideal anyone please?

I have used 30va for the previous one cos that is all I had and I know it's total overkill.

Also, would it be wise to fuse protect those extra tx's?

Lee.

Thomo said:
I have used 30va for the previous one cos that is all I had and I know it's total overkill.

My extra transformers are overkill and so was the sonic improvement. Coincidence?

Ok, that's not specific advice is it? Just saying don't worry about using some big uns if it's all you've got.

I've not bothered with a fuse myself. The kind of mistakes I make tend to blow 13A fuses anyway, of which one remains. :devilr:

Simon

Aaahh. I thought 30va was overkill but I didn't realise how much!

I do intend to swap it at some point for a slightly smaller version though. It fits EXACTLY in the "V" shape of the drawer when closed.

Thanks for the advice Brent. I assume the other parts of the circuit wouldn't need any more va than the clock either then?

Lee.

Thomo said:
I assume the other parts of the circuit wouldn't need any more va than the clock either then?

The DAC and op-amps need a lot more than the clock. And you want to have more VA than you need for the best sound. :firefite:

I think if you perform an all-day searching session you may find the exact figures relatively early in this thread! Good luck!

Simon

SimontY said:

I think if you perform an all-day searching session you may find the exact figures relatively early in this thread! Good luck!

Simon

I think i'd look like you in your new avatar if I did that! lol.

I would like to keep the extra tx's internal as I'm low on space but I can't find Nuvotem at RS & Farnell, where do you get them Brent?

I think I'll keep the 30va and in future use it solely for analogue and add other smaller ones for digital.

Lee.