Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Ooops!

Sorry Ray, rushing off to work and didn't read your post properly about feeding digital first.

Other part of the question still applies though about keeping separate, want to understand why for future. Handy with an iron but very basic knowledge of electronics and some of this stuff is way over my head.
TIA
Jim

jimh0612 said:
Brent

Thanks for that. Yes, they are the res caps, but mine are the original Elna For Audio, not the bazookas you fitted!! Where DID you get them - I can't find them anywhere?

I got those Uber Silmics from a bloke on the selling forums. I only paid £50 for them :D . I think they were about £200 each new :xeye:

I've not seen any since. They are only 22000 uF @ 56V but are huge. They make me smile.

Brent

jksmurf said:

Hi AVR300,

Well I've had a little read of the PFM thread and am just lost, so I'm going to keep it simple. Going back to the Martin Clark recommendations to use Zeners "Better still, use TWO zeners in parallel" for the LM317/LM337 based Vregs. I have a couple of Q's if that's OK?

1. On your Circuit Diag above for the Super-Raygs you have Diodes? D2, D3, D4 and D5. These are in parallel, so I am guessing these are the Zener Diodes? But what power should they be?http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/internal/workshop/datasheet.html

ZENER DIODE 1W 10V 1N4728-4752 1N4740
ZENER DIODE 5W 10V 1N5333-5388 1N5347
ZENER DIODE 0.5W 10V 1N746-759 1N758/961

2. The BD139/BD140 you mention are Transistors? But Martin Clarks site does not mention these at all, nor Eddie Wangs, nor does Rays original diagram show them??? What do they do (not that I understand it!)

TRANSISTORS 1.5A, 80V, 10W, NPN BD139 BD139
TRANSISTORS 1.5A, 80V, 10W, PNP BD140 BD140

3. For D1 and D6 you used 1N4148 which are shown as "fast diodes" in the Datasheet. Is this the reason these were used? The LM317 standard circuit diag eg. on Martin's site shows 1N4002?

Thanks!

k.
p.s. I got hold of a 240V CD67SE Trafo!! Yippee! So if anyone (US/Japan) is looking to buy a 110V CD67SE Trafo, I've got one :)

Hi.

Let me try and help.

The Raygulator consists of 2 parts, the Gyrator (or capacitance multiplier) and the regulator.

The gyrator consists of R1, C1 and the BC547 (transistor).
The regulator consists of D1, D2, D3, R2, C2 and LM317(regulator).

The gyrator has the same effect as adding a huge capacitor to the input of the regulator.

D1, D2 and D3 raise the voltage at the reference terminal of the LM317 so that the output is 12v. As these pass little current, in the order of mA, they do not have to be big devices. So for the zeners 0.5w are fine. The other diode is only to provide a voltage drop of 0.7v approx., so again does not have to be big and the 1N4148 small signal diode is OK but you can use a 1N4002 - same voltage drop.

The BD139/140 are transistors as are BC547/557. The difference is that the BD139/140 are higher power than the BC547/557 hence the reference to current limits. However, they also have lower gain so the gyrator will not be as effective.

Andy

PS good luck installing the new transformer.

Hi guys. Over the past few years I have modded a few '63s (though not to the standard of some here!) and have been modding a friends '53 recently and I have a problem.

I have changed diodes and loads of caps - but the transport will not spin the disc. On closer inspection the small C501 was blown on the HF LPF area of the board. i have replaced this but still nothing.

Anyone any ideas please - I'm getting no end of stick about this.

Cheers, Lee.

Thomo said:
Hi guys. Over the past few years I have modded a few '63s (though not to the standard of some here!) and have been modding a friends '53 recently and I have a problem.

I have changed diodes and loads of caps - but the transport will not spin the disc. On closer inspection the small C501 was blown on the HF LPF area of the board. i have replaced this but still nothing.

Cheers, Lee.

lol

brent

Thomo said:

Cheers, Lee.

Hi

Does the '53 have the self test mode? have you tried that?

Pete

Thomo said:
Hi.

I get to Mode 3 in Service Mode and the sled moves to the outside & inside with the laser bobbing up and down. When it reaches either end it makes a cicking sound which I think is normal.

If I insert a disc and press play I get Error 10 - Radial Error.

Thanks,

Lee.

ON ic's Q105 Q106 QM01 and measure the voltage on pin 9 this should be -10V and pin 2 (+10V).

Brent

Both resistors measure ok. R501 may have been bad so I changed it.

C501 was burned out, it had a 1/2mm gap in the middle.

When I was given the machine to do, my mate said it skipped quite a bit so I changed the laser and then did the mods- didn't test in between though.

I have never known this either:xeye:

Lee.