Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 2037 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2014, 07:45 AM   #20361
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's different for the CD63, that's why it says 'CD57/67 series' ;-)

For the CD53/63 series you need to:
- remove U116, U124 and DF52 to isolate the RC-5 signal
- remove RF52, RF54 and RF61 to disable the 5V power supply for this circuit
- insert a jumper wire from U116 (the hole farthest from QF61) to U124 (the hole near U121)

You should have a working remote after this, if not, then something else is wrong.

Regards,

Ray
Old 20th June 2014, 12:58 PM   #20362
diyAudio Member

In my post #20358 I mentioned that I will replace the stock TX of the CD63 with 3 coroidal TXs:
Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

The 3 TXs have eventually come and I have now completed the modding project for my friend. It works wonderfully well as expected. No issues at all. My friend is really happy with it. The total cost inclusive of parts and the CD63SE is about 300 (of course excluding my labor cost ) I think in total I have spent about 2-3 days to complete the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Complete2.jpg (534.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Complete1.jpg (437.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 20th June 2014, 08:40 PM   #20363
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
In my post #20358 I mentioned that I will replace the stock TX of the CD63 with 3 coroidal TXs:
Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

The 3 TXs have eventually come and I have now completed the modding project for my friend. It works wonderfully well as expected. No issues at all. My friend is really happy with it. The total cost inclusive of parts and the CD63SE is about 300 (of course excluding my labor cost ) I think in total I have spent about 2-3 days to complete the job.
Nice job, Higlander!
Old 21st June 2014, 06:02 PM   #20364
dnic77 is offline dnic77  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much ray, the remote is working again! I didn't realise how much I've missed a simple device.
Thanks again ray.

Dave.
Old 24th June 2014, 06:12 PM   #20365
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Great, glad to hear it's working again!
Old 25th June 2014, 08:38 PM   #20366
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Has anyone (UV101?) set up a separate tx to power the laser and motor drive? I believe this will require 6 regulators! So it's not going to be cheap.

If anyone has done so, what difference did it make? I know when I set up a sep tx and power supply for the servo it made a big difference. I have also set up separate txs and power supplies for the output stage (with HDAM bypass), DAC digital, DAC analogue, decoder (big difference!), the servo clock and DAC clock. I am currently in the process of setting up Ray's DOS board.

So what I'd like to know is whether the cost to power the laser and motor drive will be worth the SQ improvement. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th June 2014, 09:59 AM   #20367
diyAudio Member

Default CD67OSE Upgrades - Issues on 1st power up

Hi folks, I'm in need of some troubleshooting help:

I've just finished modding a CD67OSE using Ray's pdf instructions (the CD57 version though). I have not made any modifications to the analogue sections or clock yet.

On power up the player displays "Disc". I press eject and the tray opens. I insert a CD and press eject and the tray closes. BUT the turntable motor makes no attempt to turn and read the CD and so "Disc" remains on the display. I have seen that the laser is working so I was wondering if the problem was with the servo drivers and/or the micro controller.

I have checked the polarity of the electrolytics I've installed in those sections and everything seems to be okay.

I will try putting the player in to service mode tonight to see if that points me to the problem part of the circuit.

Anyone else experienced this before? or might know which part of the player I may have made a mistake on?

I deviated from Ray's instructions in one area - I ran out of ferrite beads and so the inductor installed at RY11 has no beads - could this be an issue?
Old 26th June 2014, 10:24 AM   #20368
timjar is offline timjar  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoliver182 View Post
Hi folks, I'm in need of some troubleshooting help:

I've just finished modding a CD67OSE using Ray's pdf instructions (the CD57 version though). I have not made any modifications to the analogue sections or clock yet.

On power up the player displays "Disc". I press eject and the tray opens. I insert a CD and press eject and the tray closes. BUT the turntable motor makes no attempt to turn and read the CD and so "Disc" remains on the display. I have seen that the laser is working so I was wondering if the problem was with the servo drivers and/or the micro controller.

I have checked the polarity of the electrolytics I've installed in those sections and everything seems to be okay.

I will try putting the player in to service mode tonight to see if that points me to the problem part of the circuit.

Anyone else experienced this before? or might know which part of the player I may have made a mistake on?

I deviated from Ray's instructions in one area - I ran out of ferrite beads and so the inductor installed at RY11 has no beads - could this be an issue?

I modded a cd67 15 or 16 years ago(Thorsten Loesch) , I had the same thing, discovered if I powered the unit off then back on quite quickly it would work, occasionally it took two attempts, my own theory is the larger capacity capacitors are consuming the power when you first switch on(but then I know very little).
I still use the player in it's original modded form but may get around to addressing the problem when I have finished modding a cd63.

Last edited by timjar; 26th June 2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: put my input in quote
Old 26th June 2014, 01:46 PM   #20369
diyAudio Member

Looking through the forum, I guess the first thing to do tonight is to try the service mode for error codes and check the voltages at the regulators and each individual chip
Old 26th June 2014, 02:26 PM   #20370
diyAudio Member

I just found this thread, I purchased a Marantz CD 63, I was surprised to find
when I opened it up that all the Caps are Elna Silmic's in it (redone?) the problem
is that it has is a balance issue sound seems to go to the left of center, can it be
as simple as the input rca's or another problem??

Al

Hide this!Advertise here!