Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 2007 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2014, 08:06 PM   #20061
diyAudio Member

Ben@ just sent you a PM.
Old 8th February 2014, 10:00 PM   #20062
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
OK, I've sent you the item you wanted. Nudge nudge.
Old 9th February 2014, 07:41 AM   #20063
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
OK, I've sent you the item you wanted. Nudge nudge.
Strange, I did not receive your PM. Nothing in my inbox
Old 10th February 2014, 06:10 PM   #20064
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
The 4kHz peak only appears in the background 'silence' of my CD63. It does not modulate the output signal, which also measures nice and flat when I analyse the audio frequency test sweeps on the above-mentioned test CD.
Just catching-up on this thread

Ben - what's the sampling rate of your soundcard? You might only be seeing intermod between the 44.1Khz -based noise on the DAC output and a 48Khz soundcard sampling rate. Try altering the sample rate if you can, see if it dissappears.

I think its a measuerment artifact TBH, I really don't think you'd get such a pronounced peak from any regulator (ive never managed to provie it anyway! It would have to be very high-Q resonance to be that narrow/tall. Regulator influence tends to show up as very low q (<< 1dB) much wider-bandwidth influences - if you can spot it all - or clear oscillation in the Mhz range (which is much easier to arrange!)
Old 11th February 2014, 06:30 PM   #20065
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Hi Martin,

I was sampling at 44.1kHz, but I'm with you - I bet it was a measurement artifact too.
I didn't see the same effect when sampling background noise from other equipment, but perhaps it could've been a side effect of the high (>6v) DC offset of my player? I'll dig in some more and report back at some point. I'm just enjoying the music for the time being! :-)

Cheers,

Ben
Old 15th February 2014, 06:09 PM   #20066
charas is offline charas  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I am new to this thread and after reading about 350 pages(sorry if i didn't reach the end of this thread,but my eyes are not help me any more)and also forgive me if i am going to repeat something that i haven't read, i deside to write here and share my experience with my cd63 and the mods i did to it.
Mods are nothing special and they allready been done in this thread.
1.Hack the clock as the acoustica org.This make the bigest difference of all mods.
2.Remove muting tranzistors blocking capacitors and also remove the headphones jumbers,capacitors and also Q901 all of them make a little difference.
3.Replace the resistors and capacitors in the buffer with silver mica and 0.1% holco and vishay.
4.Replace 2114 with LM4562's.
5.Change capacitors in power supply with same value BC Vishay.

Let it burn in for 48 hours and today did a comparison with a 63 KI Signature.
Mine was a little more clear and live with better and more controlled base but overall a little closed,and the kis has this sweetnes in the mids and better soundstage than the moded one.
So i am asking my self if we try to achive something that we have allready(KIs)in our hands or was something wrong with my mods?
Please also have in mind that i have in my posession many players with TDA1541 dac,i.e philips 880,960 sony es337,cambridge cd3,arcam a, marantz cd50.All of these are stock and not modified and they are better sounding players than the 63,the 63 wins hans down at the bottom end.
Thanasis.
Old 15th February 2014, 10:06 PM   #20067
diyAudio Member

Have you bypass the HDAM circuits ??
Try to replace the servo clock and DAC clock with two independent low jitter clocks.
Increase the capacity of the transformer and the smoothing capacitors.
Old 16th February 2014, 04:13 AM   #20068
diyAudio Member

higlander,no i haven't byprass HDAM circuits.
If i replace the servo and dac clock which are the gains that i will take from this mode?Allready mine has better timing than the Kis with the hack suggested from acoustica org,and when you mean increasing the capacity of the transformer are you suggesting of replace it with different one?The problem is the bigger sounstage and the sweetness on mids Kis has as stock.
So,i am asking here,why bother modding it further with questionable results,and not sell it and buy a Kis.
I know i will miss the fun of modding but until now at this stage,results are not as described by other people.I know,different people, different hearing!!!Does it need more burn in period????Will it change dramatically to the better?

Thanasis.
Old 16th February 2014, 06:43 AM   #20069
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by charas View Post
higlander,no i haven't byprass HDAM circuits.
If i replace the servo and dac clock which are the gains that i will take from this mode?Allready mine has better timing than the Kis with the hack suggested from acoustica org,and when you mean increasing the capacity of the transformer are you suggesting of replace it with different one?The problem is the bigger sounstage and the sweetness on mids Kis has as stock.
So,i am asking here,why bother modding it further with questionable results,and not sell it and buy a Kis.
I know i will miss the fun of modding but until now at this stage,results are not as described by other people.I know,different people, different hearing!!!Does it need more burn in period????Will it change dramatically to the better?

Thanasis.
Ok,here i have some parts from previous projects that never finished and i wonder if they can be used in the cd-63 player.Problem is that i have no idea where to connect them if they are any good for the mods,so any help will be apreciated.
1.Power supply with transformer for the s-clock(very old but work as it should)which gives 13.02 volt output measured with a multimeter.
2.Regulated power supply from a lampucera dac without a t/x and it has on the big heatshink a l7805 and on smaller heatshinks l7912 and l7812.
Can those parts be usufull for the cd-63?

Thanasis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030243.JPG (167.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg P1030242.JPG (187.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg P1030245.JPG (185.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 16th February 2014, 08:09 AM   #20070
diyAudio Member

I suggest you better bypass the HDAM circuit as this is the bottleneck for better SQ after the mod. If you go through the threads of this forum you can find many had been said why you need to bypass the HDAM for better SQ. Just try it out and I am sure you will be surprised by the great improvement in the SQ !!

As to the clock, timing is one thing but the most critical criteria for performance is to have clocks with very low noise jitters.

You may wish to know that I have modded a total 8 CD63s for my friends and I have posted my experiences and photos in this forum sometime ago. (See my thread in #19156 Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list)

I can tell you the CD63 I modded for myself has far better performance than my previously owned Leema Antila IIs (costing 3300) that eventually I got rid of in the eBay. I can only say modding a CD63 can out perform very expensive CDPs provided you do it right.

Last edited by higlander; 16th February 2014 at 08:29 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!