Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1936 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2013, 06:50 PM   #19351
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjar View Post
I have a question for Ray, when he next visits, as I have just been on his site.

I was wondering why the mod of connecting signal wires from the one chip to the other under the board doesn't get mentioned, I have just read the article by Mauro Penasa.
I assume therefore that his mod is implemented instead.
I know from experience how difficult Thorstens mod is to implement, but which is more effective?
I fancy the challenge of doing it again.
Hi, and welcome to this thread

I assume you must mean the replacement of digital signal traces with coax? This is indeed quite an advanced tweak and requires some steady hands and soldering skills.

Mauro's article and this tweak have nothing to do with each other, they can be implemented independently (is that correct english??).
Old 8th May 2013, 06:53 PM   #19352
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjames View Post
Does that mean I can feed a new clock signal pretty much straight to the pin13 without adding any extra components? If so, I can do this nice and easy at U193 which is a wire jumper right next to the decoder on my board.
You may have to insert a 1...10nF coupling capacitor in series with the clock input, I recall there's around 2.5V DC offset present at the decoder's input and this conflicts with the Flea's output. It's one of the reasons Marantz included one in the mkII version of the player.

Nice work on the boards

Regards,

Ray

Last edited by 6h5c; 8th May 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 9th May 2013, 09:04 AM   #19353
dwjames is offline dwjames  England
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Sorted

Thanks Ray.
Is this coupling capacitor in addition to a resistor in series? Is there a specific type of cap that would be best suited to this application?
Would it be best to re-create the V2 Marantz circuit with it's 10p coupling, 390R series, then 39p decoupling to ground before pin 13?
Old 9th May 2013, 03:34 PM   #19354
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[IMG]
Is this coupling capacitor in addition to a resistor in series? Is there a specific type of cap that would be best suited to this application?
Would it be best to re-create the V2 Marantz circuit with it's 10p coupling, 390R series, then 39p decoupling to ground before pin 13?
Actually I have tried to re-create the V2 circuitry from V1 but it did not work for me even though everything had correctly connected. No idea why it was so May be the wires had picked up some noise. I reverted back to V1 and it worked beautifully then

I did not have the coupling cap added but if you do I would suggest 10p mica.

Last edited by higlander; 9th May 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 9th May 2013, 03:41 PM   #19355
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
Actually I have tried to re-create the V2 circuitry from V1 but it did not work for me even though everything had correctly connected. No idea why it was so
Did you come to a working solution in the end for supplying a new clock signal to the decoder with the V1 circuit?

Do you think it's better for me to just concentrate on giving the DAC a good clock and relying on the standard DAC clock-out to supply the decoder? I would hope that because of the low jitter clock supply to the dac, this will give the decoder a better clock signal anyway, but wasn't sure...

I found the Tentlabs divide by 2 circuit diagram today, so I have ordered a 74HC74 and will try and supply 8mhz to the servo from this new clock as well.
http://www.tentlabs.com/Components/X...y%202%20V2.pdf

Last edited by dwjames; 9th May 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 9th May 2013, 04:29 PM   #19356
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you come to a working solution in the end for supplying a new clock signal to the decoder with the V1 circuit?

Do you think it's better for me to just concentrate on giving the DAC a good clock and relying on the standard DAC clock-out to supply the decoder? I would hope that because of the low jitter clock supply to the dac, this will give the decoder a better clock signal anyway, but wasn't sure...

I found the Tentlabs divide by 2 circuit diagram today, so I have ordered a 74HC74 and will try and supply 8mhz to the servo from this new clock as well.
http://www.tentlabs.com/Components/X...y%202%20V2.pdf
Yes, at the end of the day for the old boards I used the V1 circuit. But for the new boards I lifted one leg of the cap and connected a signal to it. Both worked fine.

If you can I recommend you clock the decoder separately as there is slight improvement in SQ though by not much. What you need to do is just to feed signal from your 16.xx Mhz clock to the decoder (connected in parallel with the cable to your DAC), therefore no cost at all apart from the small length of coaxial cabled being used

In my case out of the 7 modded projects I did, 2 of the CD63s used 2 separate independent clocks for the servo and the DAC (and the decoder) while 5 of them used only one clock which has a build in frequency divider on it supplying 8 and 16 Mhz clock freq. to the servo and DAC (as well as decoder).
Old 9th May 2013, 04:35 PM   #19357
diyAudio Member

I think the V2 circuit has to do with the revision of the decoder that is used. I would stick with a 33R series resistor that's on the Flea board, and then a small cap to the decoder input. Anything from 10p to 10n will do indeed (I usually use a small 1nF NP0 ceramic or FKP). MKP, mica, NP0 ceramic or polystyrene will all work fine. It may even work without the cap in your V1 player, but I have no experience with this.

Ray

Last edited by 6h5c; 9th May 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 9th May 2013, 06:50 PM   #19358
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, that's great. I'll wire it up so I can try a few variations. Is it a case of 'if it works, it works' ? Or will there be 1 method which gives better results?

Ray,
I know it's not ideal, but if I wanted to run 3 outputs from the flea with XO so I can also use a divider for the Servo, how would you do this? Maybe run the DAC and decoder joined from 1 output, then the divider from the other? Or maybe use outputs 1 and 2 for the DAC and Decoder, then join #3 for the divider onto the output pin of the XO using another 33R resistor?

thanks,
James
Old 9th May 2013, 07:05 PM   #19359
timjar is offline timjar  England
diyAudio Member

Can anyone point me to any posts about how to install and connect Rays DOS board, also just found and read Bobwire tweaks, as anyone changed the 15 wire ribbon to coax, only it doesn't seem like coax wire with the diameter he used is available here.
Old 9th May 2013, 07:12 PM   #19360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is it a case of 'if it works, it works' ? Or will there be 1 method which gives better results?
Yes you are right 'if it works, it works'. If not just try to do with or without a cap and if still you have no luck then just forget about it as the improvement in SQ is not that big. It is only something nice to have IMHO .

Hide this!Advertise here!