Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2013, 01:18 PM   #19341
dwjames is offline dwjames  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ahhh, thanks, that explains why I'm confused
So it seems I have an early CD 63.
My decoder circuit looks like this
Click the image to open in full size.

rather than the newer version with the C521

Does that mean I can feed a new clock signal pretty much straight to the pin13 without adding any extra components? If so, I can do this nice and easy at U193 which is a wire jumper right next to the decoder on my board.

Last edited by dwjames; 8th May 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:20 PM   #19342
higlander is offline higlander  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjames View Post
ahhh, thanks, that explains why I'm confused
So it seems I have an early CD 63.

Does that mean I can feed a new clock signal pretty much straight to the pin13 without adding any extra components? If so, I can do this nice and easy at U193 which is a wire jumper right next to the decoder on my board.
You are right feed the signal before the 100R (I wrongly mentioned 100pf in my previous thread )

You may wish to know that out of my 7 modding projects only two of the CD63s were with the old PCB and I fed the signal as you have mentioned and they all worked like a charm.

Last edited by higlander; 8th May 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 8th May 2013, 03:34 PM   #19343
diyAudio Member

Excellent, thanks
the RD14 100R is right next to the DAC, but the U193 jumper is right next to the decoder, so I think maybe I'll remove U193 and insert the new decoder clock feed here with a 100R resistor in series. That way I'm avoiding something like 50mm of the original tracks which may help to avoid interference.

I've just got a little USB oscilloscope, so I'll hopefully get some examples of the current clock signals and the new improved versions too.
It's this one. UsbScope.eu
Hopefully 100khz is sufficient to get an idea of what's going on with the clocks.
I also want to use it to see how the different 5v regulators I've got differ in terms of noise and stability. Ears are good, but nothing beats a bit of measuring
Old 8th May 2013, 04:07 PM   #19344
higlander is offline higlander  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Excellent, thanks
the RD14 100R is right next to the DAC, but the U193 jumper is right next to the decoder, so I think maybe I'll remove U193 and insert the new decoder clock feed here with a 100R resistor in series. That way I'm avoiding something like 50mm of the original tracks which may help to avoid interference.

I've just got a little USB oscilloscope, so I'll hopefully get some examples of the current clock signals and the new improved versions too.
It's this one. UsbScope.eu
Hopefully 100khz is sufficient to get an idea of what's going on with the clocks.
I also want to use it to see how the different 5v regulators I've got differ in terms of noise and stability. Ears are good, but nothing beats a bit of measuring
I doubt your USB oscilloscope is sensitive enough to trace if there is any noise exists on the +5V regulators BTW the bandwidth might not be sufficient to review what is happening to your external clock signal.
Old 8th May 2013, 05:38 PM   #19345
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
James, I notice that your tentlabs clock is placed differently on your flea board to mine. If you were to rotate yours anti-clockwise through 90 degrees then that is how mine is mounted. I don't know whether this makes a difference or not. (Mine works okay.) I believe I copied mine from someone else's pic on here just done a trawl but can't find it.
Could someone please clarify which way is correct or whether it makes a difference? Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 05:53 PM   #19346
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymmlad View Post
James, I notice that your tentlabs clock is placed differently on your flea board to mine. If you were to rotate yours anti-clockwise through 90 degrees then that is how mine is mounted. I don't know whether this makes a difference or not. (Mine works okay.) I believe I copied mine from someone else's pic on here just done a trawl but can't find it.
Could someone please clarify which way is correct or whether it makes a difference? Thanks
ahhh, thanks. I haven't had the chance to test it yet, but that's one of the things I wasn't 100% certain on.... I copied the orientation from another picture I found, but it's possible that it was a different version of the PFM flea board and Ray's one isn't the same.
If someone could confirm, that'd be great
Old 8th May 2013, 06:12 PM   #19347
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The square corner of the TCXO should line up with the overlay on the PCB.
Old 8th May 2013, 06:13 PM   #19348
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

http://www.raylectronics.nl/pictures/flea/Flea_DIY.jpg

Last edited by hotiron; 8th May 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 8th May 2013, 06:41 PM   #19349
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotiron View Post

Brill, thanks, hotiron.
Old 8th May 2013, 06:42 PM   #19350
diyAudio Member

Excellent, cheers guys
I'll get that swapped around.

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods listHide this!Advertise here!