Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1933 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2013, 02:44 PM   #19321
dwjames is offline dwjames  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, I can't wait to hear it

Can anyone help me out with a little puzzle?
I don't think that I have anything using my standard 12v rail now, but I'm not 100% sure....
Click the image to open in full size.
I believe that the green lines from the 7812 and 7912 go to the standard output stage, so I shouldn't don't need those, but what can anyone tell me about the extra orange path on the 12v neg rail? I can see that it ultimately crosses on U220 and U222 and goes to the output/phones section. What purpose to QN24 and QN25 serve for example?

I'm asking because in an ideal world, I would like to remove the 7812 and 7912 and use their V-in points to then provide power for my flea and DOS boards. That way they're separate from everything else.
But I have a feeling it's not quite that simple... or is it?
Old 3rd May 2013, 02:52 PM   #19322
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

The -12V is also used for muting, that's where QN24 and 25 are for. It runs to RN27 and RN28. You've probably disabled that already, so it's useless now. You can safely remove the 7912.

Ray
Old 3rd May 2013, 02:54 PM   #19323
dwjames is offline dwjames  England
diyAudio Member

Perfect, thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 03:43 PM   #19324
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It's high time we had a like button on this site!! :v
Old 4th May 2013, 04:04 PM   #19325
diyAudio Member

Default CD63 modding Project

I have almost completed modding my 7th CD63SE. I have uploaded a photo to show the present progress.
What I need to do next is to install a low jitter clock for the Servo, DAC and Decoder.
In the mean time I am constructing voltage regulators using LT1763-5.

Will upload a photo when project is completed. This will be my last modding project for my friends
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010709.JPG (784.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 4th May 2013, 05:04 PM   #19326
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Why not put your OsCon near the IC? For me you're loosing the cap's goodness by having them that far, you should have them where the tiny ceramic (I guess) one are. And if needed, bypass the OsCon by X7R or such on the pins or as close as you can under the BCP.
PPS bypass near the ICs:
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9837/dscn1918rt5.jpg
Old 4th May 2013, 06:00 PM   #19327
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
Why not put your OsCon near the IC? For me you're loosing the cap's goodness by having them that far, you should have them where the tiny ceramic (I guess) one are. And if needed, bypass the OsCon by X7R or such on the pins or as close as you can under the BCP.
PPS bypass near the ICs:
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9837/dscn1918rt5.jpg
Yes I know but one to one replacement is easier for the job
Old 4th May 2013, 09:13 PM   #19328
diyAudio Member

Default Nice Work as Usual!

Nice looking work!
Being the rookie that I am, I have more questions:
1) Can you summarize what each of the transformers are being used for and what their secondary winding voltage value is before the regulators?
2) Have you done a 67SE and if so, do you have a list of what caps I should replace with OsCONs? Assuming just digital supply lines.
3) What is the relay that is in the lower left hand (back) of the CD player used for?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
I have almost completed modding my 7th CD63SE. I have uploaded a photo to show the present progress.
What I need to do next is to install a low jitter clock for the Servo, DAC and Decoder.

Will upload a photo when project is completed. This will be my last modding project for my friends
Old 5th May 2013, 04:09 AM   #19329
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
Nice looking work!
Being the rookie that I am, I have more questions:
1) Can you summarize what each of the transformers are being used for and what their secondary winding voltage value is before the regulators?
2) Have you done a 67SE and if so, do you have a list of what caps I should replace with OsCONs? Assuming just digital supply lines.
3) What is the relay that is in the lower left hand (back) of the CD player used for?
Thanks
1) Details of the TX can be found in my previous thread 19290:
Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
2.) Sorry, I have not done modding work on CD67
3) The relay is the muting circuit. This is to prevent all the cracking noise when switching off the CDP as the stock transistor operated muting circuit was removed
Old 5th May 2013, 02:47 PM   #19330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post

Today I spent some time to complete the modding project by installing a low jitter clock for the Servo, the DAC and Decoder as well as LT1763-5 low noise voltage regulators to the CD63SE. Two photos are uploaded for reference.
I am now running the CDP continuously to ensure it functions without problem before I return it to my friend. The SQ is as expected, i.e. Very very Good indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Completed_view.JPG (705.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Internal_view.JPG (829.0 KB, 119 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!