Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 04:12 PM   #19281
luke2fr is offline luke2fr  France
diyAudio Member

So a possible way to do it would be :
a) build 2 separate regs board with as many 78xx for each 5V line as needed on each ; one board for analog and one for digital.
b) add a tx for digital reg board and another one for analog reg board.
c) upgrade the 78xx to superraygulator or even spower (with priority on the digital line)

Did I get it correctly ?

Last edited by luke2fr; 22nd April 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:49 PM   #19282
dwjames is offline dwjames  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2fr View Post
So a possible way to do it would be :
a) build 2 separate regs board with as many 78xx for each 5V line as needed on each ; one board for analog and one for digital.
b) add a tx for digital reg board and another one for analog reg board.
c) upgrade the 78xx to superraygulator or even spower (with priority on the digital line)

Did I get it correctly ?
well, the more separation you can add, the better it will be. The DAC has 3 x +5 inputs and the decoder has 2 x 5v inputs, so you could add a separate 7805 to each of these for example. If you add another for the display chip, and 2 more for the RF and LF, that will be best, but it's up to you.
The 3 for the DAC will make the most difference if you only want to put a small number in.
You don't need to make a board for the 7805, just add a small capacitor and a resistor. The cost for a 7805, a small input capacitor and a resistor to make sure the regulation is stable is less than £1, so you can do a lot without spending a lot of money.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:17 PM   #19283
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Think you'll find the dac has 4 and the decoder has 3 although its not easy to separate the 3rd.

Then you got the HF amp plus 2 for the servo chip and another for the RF amp on the mech. Another 6 for all the driver ic's and 4 on the analogue output stage.

There's also a vref on the servo chip

I think I got to 21 plus 2 more external on the analogue psu and 1 more on the clock psu.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:32 PM   #19284
stefanom is offline stefanom  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Thanks dwjames, I will look into that.

What is a good alternative for Rubycon ZA? They have stopped manufacturing them and they seem to be hard to get. I cant find them on Farnells site. Thats where I will order all my components.
I am thinking about:
decoupling for PSU
decoupling for opamps
decoupling for DAC
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:42 PM   #19285
luke2fr is offline luke2fr  France
diyAudio Member

@UV101
I don't think I'll add that much... Well, at least I wasn't thinking it was possible. But i've only read about 500pages of this thread.
Got the same pic for a CD 5/67 ?
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:57 PM   #19286
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Luke if you are going for multiple 7805's fit them in place of the original supply resistor with the gnd to the top screen of the PCB. Then run a single wire from the main cap to input side. I did this in a cd850 with a load of std 7805 regs.

Old 23rd April 2013, 12:18 AM   #19287
dwjames is offline dwjames  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ian, sorry, yes, I was over-simplifying. 21 is good going!
What regs did you use for those?

Stefan, I believe Rubycon ZLG is a good alternative. That's what I used.
Old 26th April 2013, 01:36 AM   #19288
rolleiman is offline rolleiman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need your help on cd67 mod

Hi all,
I would like to place an order for parts to upgrade my cd67. Can anyone answer my questions in my previous post? Thanks.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:52 PM   #19289
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2fr View Post
Hi all,

I'm thinking about improving the 5V and +/-12V reg/supply. I think I may also add an extra tx for that. Can I upgrade those in multiple stage ? I mean : 1st I put some super reg just instead of the actual 7805 and 7812 and 7912, and 2nd, I fit new tx and relocate the super regs nearer of the DAC, servo, opamp, etc... ?
Can someone confirm what voltages the standard CD63 MKII KI Signature model provides via the torroid? I am considering using this chassis to house a new project (Nadja board - preamp/dsp crossover) and would like to use the existing torroid if that is feasible.

I will need the following supply;
Output 1 +5 V 1 A
Output 2 +12 V 1 A
Output 3 -12 V 0.3 A

Admittedly, I would have to do some serious study to develop my understanding of electronics wiring (especially when working with high voltage of course). My backup is using a lab supply I use for my current preamp (it has fixed 5V 1A and will do +-12v).

Thanks for any pointers
Old 26th April 2013, 02:33 PM   #19290
higlander is offline higlander  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default How to change CD63's TXs

The most noticeable improvement in modding a CD63 is by changing the stock TX with BIG TX to ensure a very stable voltage being supplied to the Servo and the opamps.

What I have done is using a 50VA 12Vx2 Toroidal TX for the servo; a 30VA 15VX2 Toroidal TX for the opamps (I use +/- 15V regulators instead of 12V to drive the opamps which performs better) and a 7VA 12Vx2 for the front panel display.

The circuit diagrams and its connection is shown in the diagram attached.
Two photos were taken to show how the TX unit was fitted together and is self-explanatory.

The TX unit fits perfectly at the rear of the CD drive and you can see the layout in Thread 19156 below:

If you have a SE or KI you can still put back the bridge bar without any problem.
I have done 6 modding and this TX unit is for the 7th modding project for my friend.

Hope my experience is useful to those who would like to change the stock TX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TX_Top.jpg (684.6 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg TX_back.jpg (641.1 KB, 289 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circuit.pdf (20.8 KB, 100 views)

Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods listHide this!Advertise here!