Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1928 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2013, 01:35 AM   #19271
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjames View Post
Bear in mind that if you wish to upgrade to a 50va toroidal 12v transformer at some point (and you should because it's cheap and quite easy with good results) that 16v caps for c813 & c814 will need to be changed to at least 25v, because the rail runs at more like 18v with this power supply. So you may wish to just go for 25v now for these.
Thats a good point.
Yes, I am planning to upgrade the transformer in the future.
I have updated my list with these values:
C813 Panasonic TSUP 22000uF/25v C814 Panasonic TSUP 22000uF/25v
Old 21st April 2013, 02:37 PM   #19272
dwjames is offline dwjames  England
diyAudio Member

Infact, looking at your list Stefan, it's probably a good time to change out the diodes in the rectifier circuit for something like Schottky 11dq10 while you're in that area. I don't have the part references to hand, but they sit between the output of the power supplies and the power supply caps you're changing. They convert the power supply AC to DC.
Old 21st April 2013, 10:27 PM   #19273
diyAudio Member

All 14 of them?
D801 - D804
D811 - D814
D851 - D854
DN01 - DN02
I find this on Farnells site:
Farnell Export

I think I will also order some Oscon SEPCs to compare with Rubycons on the digital rail.
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:01 AM   #19274
diyAudio Member

Default CD67 SE Mouser - Partial Parts List

Hi All,
I could not locate many of the parts in the USA that were on Ray's list so put together my best guess at what I think I should order from Mouser for the items I plan to modify. Attached is the file. Could someone please review and may recommendations.
- I was not sure about the comment about mounting the Reguators on a Perf board. Is this neccesary or can they be mounted directly on the CD67 circuit board? Is the pinouts different? (Q801/Q802)
- Am I ordering the correct inductors?
- Do the cap values and types look reasonable? I have ordered the 2x12V toroidal x-former.
- Not sure about the ferrites. What are these and what I should order. Are they placed on the inductors when I install them?
- Would it be better to use solid Polymer caps on the 5 volt line at C871?
- Does anyone have a list of the of the caps on the C67 board that should be replaced with Polymer caps (470uF, 6.3V)?
Thanks again for the teams help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
I beleive I will replace the main transformer in my player with a toroid.
- Is there one that is recommended for use with 120Volts?
- I will also need advice on one to use with my flea which requires a DC voltage between 18 and 32 volts. Any thoughts? Perhaps a 15Vac secondary??? Any recommendations of where to get one of these in the US?
Regards,
Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CD67mkII-OSE_mods Partial Mouser List.pdf (12.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:50 AM   #19275
luke2fr is offline luke2fr  France
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I'm thinking about improving the 5V and +/-12V reg/supply. I think I may also add an extra tx for that. Can I upgrade those in multiple stage ? I mean : 1st I put some super reg just instead of the actual 7805 and 7812 and 7912, and 2nd, I fit new tx and relocate the super regs nearer of the DAC, servo, opamp, etc... ?

Last edited by luke2fr; 22nd April 2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:33 AM   #19276
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2fr View Post
Hi all,

I'm thinking about improving the 5V and +/-12V reg/supply. I think I may also add an extra tx for that. Can I upgrade those in multiple stage ? I mean : 1st I put some super reg just instead of the actual 7805 and 7812 and 7912, and 2nd, I fit new tx and relocate the super regs nearer of the DAC, servo, opamp, etc... ?
Well, that was exactly what I did with my CD63
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:12 PM   #19277
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanom View Post
All 14 of them?
D801 - D804
D811 - D814
D851 - D854
DN01 - DN02
I find this on Farnells site:
Farnell Export

I think I will also order some Oscon SEPCs to compare with Rubycons on the digital rail.
I'm not certain to be honest, check out Ray's list, I think it's all detailed in there.
I can't get to your link, but the it has all the right words in 11dq10 diode schottky 1.1a 100v.

Also, for the digital rails, you can try Nichicon NS instead of the Oscon SEPCs. They are still Solid Polimer type with very similar specs, but a lot cheaper.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:20 PM   #19278
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2fr View Post
Hi all,

I think the problem is less about if the standard 7805 is good enough and more about that there is a lot of noisy items on the board all making noise onto the 5v rail and interrupting each other. I suspect that you would get better results from using some simple 7805 onto the DAC (x3) decoder (x2) and also possibly 1 for the large chip that controls the display (because that one makes a lot of noise) than you would get if you only install 1 good low noise regulator into the standard 7805 position. The more separation you can add, the better. Plus, this way will only cost you 10% of the price of 1 good very low noise regulator.

It's not a great photo and the wiring and position is a bit messy, but here you can see the 3 x 7805 currently on my DAC. Makes a nice difference
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:07 PM   #19279
diyAudio Member

Default re regs

Spower regs are the finest regs you can get but fitting up to 10 can get hellishly expensive, So as you say 7805s are better than stock lm317s are another way to go ray has a simple schematic on his site for a 317 based reg.
cheers guys alan
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:12 PM   #19280
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeral10 View Post
Spower regs are the finest regs you can get but fitting up to 10 can get hellishly expensive, So as you say 7805s are better than stock lm317s are another way to go ray has a simple schematic on his site for a 317 based reg.
cheers guys alan
Yes indeedy.
I'm in the process of updating from 7805s now and making some little 5v voltage reg boards based on the miniVreg design using little LT17635 chips. I'll post some details in the next couple of days, but they should be simple, cheap and effective

Hide this!Advertise here!