Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1911 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2013, 09:26 PM   #19101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymmlad View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but does this mean I also have to "change the filtering caps for the servo, DAC and decoders etc"? Have I not done this already?

I have not done anything about the power supply for the output stage yet. When I set up a separate transformer, diodes, smoothing cap, s-power regulators, etc, will this make an appreciable difference?

Thanks again for your comments.
I don't think you have changed the filtering caps for the sero, the DAC and decoder. Just compare your PCB and mine and you will find I have changed a lot of the stock caps in brown color by OSCON SEPC 470uF. It will improve the SQ.

If you can improve the power supply for the output stage there is no doubt that you will hear a lot of difference unless you just use your CD63 as a transport then there is not need to do anything on the output stage.
Old 17th March 2013, 09:41 PM   #19102
diyAudio Member

lymmlad@: One more thing it seems to me that you have not had independent 5V low noise regulated power supply to the servo, the DAC and the decoder. Look at the circuit diagram in the service manual and you can easily find where should the 5V power supplies go. You need 6 s-Powers to supply these circuits. Furthermore you can have another s-Power connected to the RF circuit if you wish.
Old 18th March 2013, 09:00 PM   #19103
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Higlander, Thanks again for your comments.

"I don't think you have changed the filtering caps for the sero, the DAC and decoder. Just compare your PCB and mine and you will find I have changed a lot of the stock caps in brown color by OSCON SEPC 470uF. It will improve the SQ."

Yes, I've checked your pcb, and I see what you mean. Later I will check and identify which individual components you have changed. Are they all the same value Oscons: 470uF?

"If you can improve the power supply for the output stage there is no doubt that you will hear a lot of difference unless you just use your CD63 as a transport then there is not need to do anything on the output stage."

I will be using my CD63Ki as a player and not just as a transport. So it seems it will be beneficial to do this.

"One more thing it seems to me that you have not had independent 5V low noise regulated power supply to the servo, the DAC and the decoder. Look at the circuit diagram in the service manual and you can easily find where should the 5V power supplies go. You need 6 s-Powers to supply these circuits. Furthermore you can have another s-Power connected to the RF circuit if you wish."

I will need to check this out with my mentor, as I don't yet have the technical know-how to fully understand and implement this. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.
Old 19th March 2013, 06:22 AM   #19104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymmlad View Post
Yes, I've checked your pcb, and I see what you mean. Later I will check and identify which individual components you have changed. Are they all the same value Oscons: 470uF?
OSCON is preferred for filtering digital circuits while Rubycon is better in analogue rail (which you have already installed).
Old 19th March 2013, 03:14 PM   #19105
dwjames is offline dwjames  England
diyAudio Member

Could someone explain the correction for the Decoder IC please?

I can see the picture here:
Click the image to open in full size.
but I'm missing the 'cut this' and 'join this bit to that' bit.
Is it as straightforward as cutting at the pink X and running a small wire over the chip along the pink path?
What's the extra blue track for?
thanks,
James

Last edited by dwjames; 19th March 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 19th March 2013, 07:58 PM   #19106
Bartt is offline Bartt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, it has been a while ago, but I'd like to try one more mod The player sounds very good, but the bass could be a bit tighter. I regulated the drivers already, but I'd like to experiment with a separate power supply. I don't have much knowledge of how to do this. I do have this power supply for my DDdac (see attachment). Can I use it to experiment? I can only do the +10V supply with it I guess, is that a problem? Adjust the supply at +10V and put the ground to any ground in the Maranz?

Tnks!
Attached Images
File Type: png 2013-03-16 14.24.30.png (66.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 19th March 2013, 08:57 PM   #19107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjames View Post
Could someone explain the correction for the Decoder IC please?

I can see the picture here:
Click the image to open in full size.
but I'm missing the 'cut this' and 'join this bit to that' bit.
Is it as straightforward as cutting at the pink X and running a small wire over the chip along the pink path?
What's the extra blue track for?
thanks,
James
See my sketch below and you will understand what it means
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Decorder.jpg (1.04 MB, 111 views)
Old 19th March 2013, 09:03 PM   #19108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartt View Post
Hi guys, it has been a while ago, but I'd like to try one more mod The player sounds very good, but the bass could be a bit tighter. I regulated the drivers already, but I'd like to experiment with a separate power supply. I don't have much knowledge of how to do this. I do have this power supply for my DDdac (see attachment). Can I use it to experiment? I can only do the +10V supply with it I guess, is that a problem? Adjust the supply at +10V and put the ground to any ground in the Maranz?

Tnks!
If you want to have tighter bass I suggest you give the servo with a steady power supply by using a 50VA 2X12V toroidal Tx.
Old 19th March 2013, 10:18 PM   #19109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
Perfect, thank you.
Even answers my next question about where to add seperate regs for the digital and analog sections too
Cheers,
James
Old 20th March 2013, 11:14 AM   #19110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higlander View Post
Actually, now I follow that all through with a fresh head, something there doesn't make sense...
Where you have shown a new +5v to the place where the R511 is removed, shouldn't it be to the other hole left by the R511? Otherwise with the R511 removed, there's no path to the + of the C509, C510 and pin 11 of the decoder?

Hide this!Advertise here!