Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1905 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 08:05 PM   #19041
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
higlander, after you disabled the HDAM and changed the op-amps, did you not find your player bass-light? You use Burson, right?

I found LM4562HA and no HDAM lacking in bass without a beefier PSU if I remember correctly. Another thing I tried that adversely affected the tonal balance was tagging small WIMA 100n caps across my Black Gates. I'm still on my first player though so perhaps I had a fault somewhere from time to time.

Anyway, everyone's tastes and systems are different I suppose. My point was I think order matters and it may get worse before it gets better. "It'll be alright in the end. If it isn't alright, it's not the end."

Lots of people must've started with a clock, so maybe that's OK.
Hi Ben: After changing the opamps I remembered that the bass is almost the same however the HF has extended. I can hear more details with the Burson and with HDAM removed. When I changed the PSUs the bass became much more extended and tight - very noticeable. When I used a voltmeter to measure the servo voltage, with the stock TX the voltage would drop by a few volts when I started to run a CD. However with a bigger PSU for the servo the voltage was very stable and there was less than 0.5V transient voltage dip.

I also have tried LM4562HA and the SQ is not far off from Burson. Overall the SQ from Burson is more smooth but the LF and HF are similar to LM4562HA.

I haven't try 100n across 470uF caps for HF filtering so I have no experience but I have changed all 0.047uF and some 0.022uF caps by WIMAs.

Changing the 2 clocks will make the SQ more clear and transparent but I don't observe big changes in bass (but HF is more clear).

As I said before I started the mod by changing the caps before changing the clocks so that I can remove the caps more easily without causing damages to the external clocks.

Last edited by higlander; 5th February 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 03:19 AM   #19042
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
Patricma1: That sounds like 2 votes for caps before clocks.
Old 6th February 2013, 04:50 PM   #19043
diyAudio Member

OK so Caps first, again on the forums there are so many different values and types mentioned. I have looked at the list on Rays audio page is this a good starting point to do the mods mentioned for the psu, also are mundorf caps worth the expense?
Old 7th February 2013, 04:23 PM   #19044
diyAudio Member

Default 3rd modding project completed

I have completed my 3rd modding project which my good friend had requested me to carry out for him after listening to my modded CD63KI.
Actually a few of my friends have also asked me to do the same but I have refused all of them as I don't have the time to carry out the work at the moment
This will be the last modding project for the time being and I will carry out new project again may be after 3 months time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewMod1.jpg (801.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg NewMod2.jpg (801.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 15th February 2013, 04:25 PM   #19045
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

I have just set up a 50 V tx (in a separate case) feeding 2 daughter boards, each carrying diodes, a big cap, 12 v power regulator and a further big cap. I will use this to power the servo.

I have been collaborating with my electrical guru on this, and he has worked out where to wire the 4 connectors down to the main pcb by examining the circuit diagram for the CD 63SE. However, my player is the KIS. I have physically checked the circuit diagram to my player's pcb, and as far as I can see, the circuit boards for the SE and KIS are the same in and around the servo area. I thought I would check first on here that the 2 are the same before making the connections.

Could someone please let me know? Thank you in advance.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:59 PM   #19046
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

They are EXACTLY the same player without the gold badge, copper paint and toroidal transformer. Now you've upgraded that you may as well sell the KI for £180 and buy an SE for £60! I've sold every KI to upgrade to modded SE's
Old 15th February 2013, 08:06 PM   #19047
lymmlad is offline lymmlad  England
diyAudio Member

Brill! Thanks UV. That was quick!
Old 15th February 2013, 09:38 PM   #19048
luke2fr is offline luke2fr  France
diyAudio Member

Hi there !

Just got a CD57 mkii.
It needs to be cleaned and greased on moving part since it skips a bit every now and then.
Then I'll start modding it, but it's my first time doing this so i'll go slowly.
1st thing I'll do : removing headphone out and muting part for a start.
then, get back to reading this incredible thread.
Thanks already to everyone who participated to this thread.
Old 16th February 2013, 07:39 AM   #19049
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Try cleaning but if its not been done yet, its very possible it wants a new laser
Old 16th February 2013, 08:20 AM   #19050
luke2fr is offline luke2fr  France
diyAudio Member

UV101, new laser was the first idea I had. Then I've read that page Laserology and thought I should try and clean it. I've even read a post from high fidelity Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list ('cause yes, i've really started to read that whole thread ).
If it's not enough, can I order a new laser from any chinese seller on the bay or ali ex press ?

Hide this!Advertise here!