Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 1893 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 07:18 PM   #18921
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Now that you mention it, the decoder could very well be the culprit. I believe I read something in the past about it's CRIN/CROUT pins specifically being designed for use with a crystal. That's probably why Marantz had to go through all the trouble of adding those extra R/C at the pins to make it work with the external signal. Maybe the rise/fall times are just too steep and the RC network tunes this down a bit. I only clocked the CD67 decoder directly, and I assumed I would work like that with a 63 as well...

Ray
Old 17th December 2012, 09:41 PM   #18922
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6h5c View Post
All those low-noise regulators will not help against the high-frequency square wave that is output by the DAC itself... it's the nature of the beast, so to speak.

The analog filter is needed to create a sinewave shaped signal out of this pulse-width modulated output, because it's nowhere near analog. If you bypass the filter, all kinds of higher-order harmonics will enter the system and this will create all sorts of distortion and intermodulation products. Not good...
But, depending on the system, you may or may not hear the negative side-effects of this.

Good luck with The Flea's

Ray

regarding the 5 MHz in the output of the DAC, I am thinking to use a transformr with very separated primary and secondary in order to completelly eliminate the 5 MHz and leave only the audio in the pWM signal. Does someone foresee a problem with this aproach?
thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 05:09 PM   #18923
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAVIO MARINS View Post
regarding the 5 MHz in the output of the DAC, I am thinking to use a transformr with very separated primary and secondary in order to completelly eliminate the 5 MHz and leave only the audio in the pWM signal. Does someone foresee a problem with this aproach?
thanks
5 MHz in the output of the DAC
Old 18th December 2012, 07:18 PM   #18924
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

No, that shouldn't be a problem. The transformer acts as a low-pass filter due to the nature of inductance (impedance rises with frequency...) so the audio-signal will pass without problems and most of the the HF noise will be blocked. The transformer will also do the summing of the symmetrical outputs. Here's an example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC_CS4397_Lundahl.jpg (81.9 KB, 195 views)
Old 20th December 2012, 08:21 AM   #18925
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
R124 and 125 form a potential divider from the 5v rail near the servo to create a 2.5v vref. If the values are incorrect the vref will be wrong.
What voltage are you getting at the junction of the 2 resistors? Without the vref, you will have no radial, focus or laser
Now the CD start spinning ... Horeee

R 124 and R 125 value was 2.49volt and 2.49 volt
Looks like i must desolder some caps beside HDAM
i tried AD823AN but the sound look so aggressive.
than come back to original, next i will try LM6172IN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01016-20121213-1705.jpg (159.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 20th December 2012, 11:16 AM   #18926
FritzS is offline FritzS  Austria
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to FritzS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocoyo View Post
Now the CD start spinning ... Horeee

R 124 and R 125 value was 2.49volt and 2.49 volt
Looks like i must desolder some caps beside HDAM
i tried AD823AN but the sound look so aggressive.
than come back to original, next i will try LM6172IN
Give OP275 or LM4562 (LME49720HA) a chance
Fritz AKG Q701, K701, K550, K271 MKII, Denon AH-D7000; GSP green SOLO, WNA MK II; Marantz SA7001 KI, Philips CD650; Revox B790, Goldring G1042; GSP green Reflex; sold Sennheiser HD600; as guest AKG K1000
Old 20th December 2012, 11:06 PM   #18927
diyAudio Member

During the process of modding my 2nd CD63 I accidentally blew up Q106 (Dual opamp TCA0372). Actually there was an minor explosion blowing off the top of the IC leave big hole behind !!! I could also see sparks
This happened after I changed some of the caps and I suspected that there was a short circuit somewhere caused by the remains of either the left over solders or the copper wire legs of the caps leaving behind on the PCB.
Luckily when I switched on the player it could start up but only could not read any CD. The drawers could open and close. I hope it will work again when I change the damaged IC. I have just ordered one from the Bay for about 5.
In future I will ensure the inside of the PCB are clear before switching on the power.
Old 21st December 2012, 02:23 PM   #18928
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The data sheet says max voltage for the TCA0372 is 40V so you must have fed it a negative voltage before it blew. Make sure you correct the fault before installing the new chip.
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:03 PM   #18929
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
My CD53 door wheel teeth are broken. Can anyone please suggest a good door eject wheel?

Thanks
Badri
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:17 PM   #18930
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
modded a few 63s just purchased a 67 from fleabay to have a play see whats on offer, only cheap 10 anyone any good mods apart from the usuall suspects?.
cheers guys alan

Last edited by bikeral10; 22nd December 2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: mispelling

Hide this!Advertise here!