Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 12:54 AM   #18811
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
That would be good for a clock, but not for your output stage where you want BIG VA. I have 50VA there, but the general wisdom seems to be more is better. If you want to order one of Brent's PSUs, maybe PM him and I'm sure he'll be able to help you find what you need.

You can totally fix the player. There's nothing broken about it, but you need to sort the PSU and those capacitors on long wires out, stat.
Your op-amps should be fine in the long run provided they are genuine, but the HDAM bypass is waay premature IMHO and that treble is going to be nasty until you improve other areas. Read the mods list(s) for hints on the best order to do things.

Not sure what's going on with that regulator on the right hand side either...

Last edited by Ben Hanke; 26th November 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:07 AM   #18812
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
That would be good for a clock, but not for your output stage where you want BIG VA. I have 50VA there, but the general wisdom seems to be more is better. If you want to order one of Brent's PSUs, maybe PM him and I'm sure he'll be able to help you find what you need.
I think i need to get one made by some one ben or buy one as the one im useing is very poor. But im not that up on electronics and would not know were to start. I dont even know what the external power supply is runing. I know it does not run the display as that lights up with out the external supply
Old 26th November 2012, 01:18 AM   #18813
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ben Hanke Send a message via Skype™ to Ben Hanke
The external supply is just powering the output stage - in your case, op-amps.
It may also be powering the HDAMs if they haven't been disconnected properly.
I think you need to figure out if you're going to persevere with the DIY or send it off to one of our resident gurus. If you're going to DIY, I'd suggest you download the service manual and start reading the forum from the beginning. I know it's daunting, but everything you need to know is in here.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:29 AM   #18814
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hanke View Post
The external supply is just powering the output stage - in your case, op-amps.
It may also be powering the HDAMs if they haven't been disconnected properly.
I think you need to figure out if you're going to persevere with the DIY or send it off to one of our resident gurus. If you're going to DIY, I'd suggest you download the service manual and start reading the forum from the beginning. I know it's daunting, but everything you need to know is in here.
Thanks ben its going to have to be diy as i cant afford what the shops charge So i better get reading. I have done the hdam bypass before and it looks like it is no longer in the circuite on this player
Old 26th November 2012, 11:12 AM   #18815
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

This looks interesting!

Swap the caps and I think it might be quite good for the analogue output stage PSU!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCB-DIY-Lo...-/190598200859
Old 26th November 2012, 12:21 PM   #18816
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
This looks interesting!

Swap the caps and I think it might be quite good for the analogue output stage PSU!!

PCB DIY Low Impedance Power Supply Complete Kit PCB for high end pre-amp audio | eBay
Thanks uv this would save me a lot of money to spend on other bits for the player if its suitable. I notice its 15v and 0.5 amp is the voltage a bit high
Old 26th November 2012, 12:42 PM   #18817
diyAudio Member

That could be adjusted very easily but there is no reason it won't work at +/-15v instead of 12

Just need a 50va transformer, put your big caps on this psu board and away you go!!!
Old 26th November 2012, 12:55 PM   #18818
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That could be adjusted very easily but there is no reason it won't work at +/-15v instead of 12

Just need a 50va transformer, put your big caps on this psu board and away you go!!!
Sounds a bit beyond me lol. Would you fancy makeing it for me im happy to pay for your time
Old 26th November 2012, 01:59 PM   #18819
diyAudio Member

I'd be happy to help you to learn about what you are doing via the forum for sure!

If you wanted to build yourself PSU based on that module, then I could potentially show you how to configure and install it

Have you got the service manual yet?
Old 26th November 2012, 02:10 PM   #18820
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd be happy to help you to learn about what you are doing via the forum for sure!

If you wanted to build yourself PSU based on that module, then I could potentially show you how to configure and install it

Have you got the service manual yet?
Thanks uv i will down load a copy of the manual now. Were best place to get the transformer from. i have just had a look on ebay and there is a few on there

Hide this!Advertise here!